So I've been playing guitar for a few years now, and in my time I've changed the strings on guitars plenty of times.
Today however, I changed the strings on an old squire strat I bought off of a friend for £30, and I completely messed up changing the strings, the high E just popped right off, didn't snap. The others seem to be okay, but i cant understand what the hell I did wrong. Now the E string wont go back on either, just keeps coming off. Is there anything I did wrong perhaps, or is it because the guitar needs a set up?
Thanks in advance
where does it "pop off"?

if its from the tuner, then you may have cut the string too short. i would recommend at least 2-3 windings around the machine head.

also see this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Thanks! It was too short. Glorious waste of a string. Does anyone else have issues with the kluson style machine heads?
I find the best way to wrap the string is to keep it pressed down and held in place while the string wraps down the head. I put through a pretty good amount of extra string and have it wrap 4-5 times.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
If you do this you can get away with a single wrap around the post:

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone