Budget - I am a poor college student and I don't want to spend much more than $300 (not including a pedal)

Genre/guitarists - mostly early Venom and Celtic Frost, early Helloween, Iron Maiden, Summoning (raw stuff), and some Converge but if possible I would like to be able to get a heavier/cleaner modern tone like Sylosis or Trivium.

I'm perfectly open to used gear.

I practice in my bedroom along to guitarpro. I do not gig or even jam with a drummer or any other guitarists. I may do some recording at some point with a drum machine

My nearest guitar center : http://stores.guitarcenter.com/fairview-heights
(I would have to order them)

I currently play on a Line 6 Spider IV 75W, which I have grown to dislike, and don't use most of the effects anyway. I'd like to try a better thought out/more interesting rig.

The guitar I'll be plugging into whatever rig I buy is a Fender MIM strat with a dp100 super distortion in the bridge and dp103 PAF in the neck.

I got the idea from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWsQt5ptnMc

(go to 10:10) Where one of them decides on this rig, but I think he is using the htv-112 80W which must be cheaper for them in the UK, I would have to get the ht-112 50W unless I bought a used micro terror for $99, then I could probably do the htv. I would also get a cheap distortion pedal like the Digitech Grunge or Death Metal. (I'll be trading in the Line 6)

Just wondering if this was a good idea or not, and if anyone has any other (or better) suggestions.

Thanks
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

A used Peavey Vypyr Tube.

A Pod and some headphones.

Ignore the Blackstar cabs. Especially the HTV. Comes with the garbage Celestion Seventy 80 speaker. I had that cab for a day... Never again.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Dec 17, 2014,
The tiny terror rig doesn't do much for me, I have had hybrid amps and they don't really do much for me, you get 1 tube in the preamp but the power amp section is still solid state. As far as tone goes, a clean tube and a clean solid state are basically identical, where you hear more difference is in the overdrive/distortion channels or breakup, but based on the bands you listed you aren't going to get your metal sound from the overdrive on a tiny terror. With the tiny terror you also get only 1 channel, with 1 tone control. Distortion pedals (not overdrive) to me sound best on a clean channel which you don't really have on the orange, you get one channel that sounds clean on low volume and breaks up as you turn the volume up. And even though its small you might find it annoying to have to take two pieces with you whenever you want to transport your amp.

I would suggest the blackstar would give you more of what you want, it has two channels so you will have a clean channel for your distortion pedal and more gain if that want more of that metal sound. Its also a combo so you only have to transport 1 piece. Or keep an eye out for a used blackstar ht-5 which would probably fall into your budget but get you a tube amp. Another thought for the price is a Kustom Defender either 5 or 15w tube head. they sell for about $100 and $200 respectively. They are a similar setup to the orange, but are actual tube heads so they will be much louder (although I haven't tried them to speak about tone) and they are cheap so you will have money to buy a cab.

For pedals, based on what you want don't get the grunge, its not the right type of distortion, and don't get the death metal, its noisy and sloppy to my ear. I would suggest the Digitech Metal Master pedal. Best of luck.
Early Helloween and Venom?

JCA 22H and a 1X12 if that's do able.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by lemurflames
A used Peavey Vypyr Tube.

I have read this advice literally millions of times on these boards, so I'm seriously considering giving this a shot. I have my eye on a decently priced tube 60 combo.

Quote by guitarsngear

I would suggest the blackstar would give you more of what you want, it has two channels so you will have a clean channel for your distortion pedal and more gain if that want more of that metal sound. Its also a combo so you only have to transport 1 piece. Or keep an eye out for a used blackstar ht-5 which would probably fall into your budget but get you a tube amp. Another thought for the price is a Kustom Defender either 5 or 15w tube head. they sell for about $100 and $200 respectively. They are a similar setup to the orange, but are actual tube heads so they will be much louder (although I haven't tried them to speak about tone) and they are cheap so you will have money to buy a cab.

Thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed response. I've watched some vids on the kustom defender 5w but if they're single channel like the micro terror like you said then I'm not sure if that's what I want. The blackstar combo he uses in the vid sounds pretty good but I'm really wanting to upgrade to tube.

Quote by Fisheth24
Early Helloween and Venom?

JCA 22H and a 1X12 if that's do able.

Looks nice, but it's not really in my price range. Although I see one used one on GC but even with that I'm not sure how much they're going to give me for the spider iv 75 watt so I still might not have money for a cab to go with it until the end of next semester...

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Right now I think peavy vypyr tube might be winning if I can snag it in time.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?