I am thinking about adding another electric guitar to my kit. And I was wondering if anyone who has played both the PRS P22 (piezo) and the Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS could share their thoughts on the two. I know the P22 and the Strat are very different instruments and I haven’t yet had the chance to get my hands on them.

Right now I have an old Martin D-28 acoustic that I’ve had since the 70’s and a newer Gibson USA Les Paul Traditional. I mostly play blues and classic rock (Neil Young, CCR etc&hellip. Skill wise I am pretty mediocre. For me music is an outlet. I used to play a lot when I was younger and played in some crappy bands in college. I got back into music about 5 years ago and picked up the used LP about 2 years ago.

I don’t really play in a band except for a group of us broken down old bastards who get together on weekends to jam, grill food, drink too much bourbon, remember the past and tell tall tales. And drink more bourbon! We’ve been expanding our repertoire into more electric blues, more modern rock and a bit of jazz. And while I love the warmth and richness of the LP I want to add something that will help with my range and push me to experiment more. On paper I think the P22 (or something similar) has what I am looking for but the Strat HSS sounds interesting too. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Kidron
I have the USA Deluxe HSH and I will never sell the guitar unless forced to if I find myself in an economic crisis, and trust me it would be the last thing I'd sell, except maybe my car.

You already have a very nice guitar, and unless there is something you feel is lacking you may just want to stick with it for awhile longer and develop some tastes and feels for it(and musical changes in skill and taste) until you really are looking for something that your LP doesn't have. but honestly if you got nothing better to do than get another guitar, check out Carvin. Yummiest guitars under $$2000-2500 imo.
Lots and lots of good options out there $650-3500, like this:

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/classic-series/revolver-classic.html
www.amazon.com/Fernandes-Guitars-Revolver-Classic-thru/dp/B004O6M9SM
http://www.amazon.com/Fernandes-Guitars-Revolver-Sunburst-Electric/dp/B004O6M9SW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VAADVSMVPP48D8VH09X

What is your real budget? What are you aiming for that you really can't get out of what you have? New or used? Are there any particular artists you're trying to emulate?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 17, 2014,
Between a Strat and an LP you've pretty well got the range covered. The MIA Deluxe is a very good Strat but I would stick to the SSS configuration since the LP already has HBs and the out of phase sounds on a Strat sound better and are more balanced when the 2 PUS that are out of phase have equal outputs. Just so you know a normal HBs individual coils are not the same as a single coil PU. Split HBs sound puny when only one coil is active.
Moving on.....
Depends on the HB.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

To expand your sound a Gretsch would work for that. They have a sound all their own with a bell like tone brighter than a Les Paul because the Filtron is a different kind of humbucker. It will nail British invasion tones and AC/DC good for some country too.
Or get a guitar with P-90's they have a open sound to them and are great at slide tones or old school rock and roll tones.
Or get a funky shoegazer guitar like a Jazzmaster . All three will get you sounds you don't have that are great.

http://www.samash.com/guitars-amplifiers-and-effects/electric-guitars/gretsch-g5445t-electromatic-double-jet-electric-guitar-g5445txxxx
http://www.samash.com/guitars-amplifiers-and-effects/electric-guitars/epiphone-riviera-custom-p93-electric-guitar-etr3wrgb3
http://www.samash.com/fender-classic-player-jazzmaster-special-electric-guitar-f1600xxxxx
The Gretsch & P90 ideas are solid.

In the same vein, I'd suggest you consider looking at Reverend guitars. They have several guitars equipped with RevTron miniHBs, which are based on the FillerTron pickups that famously reside in Gretsch guitars.* And their hollowbody with RevTrons is pretty nice...

Reverend also uses very good P90s.

You might also want to look at Godin. There are some interesting axes in their product line as well. Their P90 solidbodies and hollowbody guitars are very nice. They also make a nylon 11-string fretless called the Glisentar, as well as nylon and steel-stringed modernized ouds- one fretted, one fretless.

Speaking of which, Vigier makes a fretless Superstrat called the Surfreter. AFAIK, it is the only production fretless electric 6-string guitar. (Others make them, but they're special orders.)

* also, if you consider going the pickup swap route, TV Jones's versions of the 'Tron pickups are incredible!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 18, 2014,
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will do a good bit more shopping around to see what I find. You all have given me some good things to think about. I think that since it’s been ages since I spent much time picking up many different guitars I perhaps focused too soon on a few brands that I am familiar with. I did play a friends old Gretsch ages ago and I remember liking the feel and sound. I think I picked up on the P-22 because I did get to play a McCarty model and custom 22 and just loved how they felt in my hands. Aside from Carvin I am not familiar with the other guitars you all mention.

As for budget, I have reached that time in my life that if I want to drop the money on something in the range of the PRS I can do it. I wouldn’t go much higher though. But also, if I found something cheaper that I liked the sound and feel of I’d be equally happy. It’s not really about the price. Hell, I’m nearly on the tail end of a career I love and aside from that just devote myself to my hobbies and it’s time to start enjoying myself more.

So if there are any more suggestions I would love to hear them. To answer some of your questions: What’s my gear lacking? Not much. I mostly want to play around with different sounds. My approach to music is pretty relaxed and informal. That being said I don’t specifically try to emulate particular artists. But some influential ones off the top of my head would be: JJ Cale, Mark Knophler and I like the way Neil Young and Poncho Sampedro pull a sound together. There are others from different styles too. And lately I have found myself listening to John Wesley. Probably because I started looking into the P22.

Thanks for the time you all have taken to respond.

Kidron
Last edited by Kidron at Dec 19, 2014,
The two basics of course, are an LP and a strat.

You might want to stretch a bit farther.

Take a look at the Taylor T5. It's considered a hybrid; a guitar that does great acoustic sounds and really good electric work as well. There are two humbuckers (one's hidden under the fretboard, one looks like a lipstick pickup) and a piezo "body" pickup. If you play the guitar in a quiet room, it's a good, balanced acoustic. But quiet. Play it with the body pickup and it's an acoustic guitar that's been miked with a piezo. Play it with the other two pickups and it's an electric. But you can blend all three if you wish, and there it gets really interesting.

There's another guitar that's got something similar going on -- the Trussart Steelphonic has a metal body (no, really), a maple neck (25.5" scale) and a pair of humbuckers. It's also got a bridge that sits on top of a "candy box." That's sort of similar to a resonator. And there's a piezo pickup on that candy box. Again, blending the two is amazing, and playing slide on the piezo/candy box combination is very cool.

See if you can find an old Gibson L6S original. It resembles Les Paul Road Kill (*not* Road Worn) -- it's flat, about as thin as an SG, and it's Gibson's first-ever 24-fret guitar. Two Bill Lawrence humbucker pickups (if you've been lucky enough to find one all original) that do NOT have pole pieces/screws sticking out of the covers. There's a six-way pickup selector on the pickguard (no, that is NOT a Varitone) that uses both serial and parallel combinations of the two pickups in and out of phase...and more. There's a volume control, a treble rolloff control (what most of us call a "tone" control) and a mids rolloff control. The neck and body are solid maple, but it's very comfortable to play, has great upper fret access and sounds very much unlike a Les Paul.

Take a look at the Strat-type Variax JTV-59. You get a very nice SSS or HSS strat (there are two models) and all that stuff that Variax is famous for to boot. Google it and try one out if you can find one at a local GC. I'm currently running three Variaxeseses, the most recent of which is a JTV-89F. Awesome guitar.
I second the notion of an SSS Strat. I recently bought one with a Seymour Duncan '59 single-coil-sized humbucker which is good if you want to play with a bit more crunch. But yes an LP and a SSS Strat will cover the majority of your musical requirements for good ol' classic rock and blues. I love the twangy single-coil sound and the out of phase bridge/middle combo.