Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new guitar. I've only ever had metal guitars and i'm wanting something more rocky to keep in Standard/ 1/2 step down tuning and play the likes of Rise Against, Deftones, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Sum 41 kind of stuff.

I've tried out an Epi SG but i don't really like it. Something like a Tele with a humbucker in the bridge would be suited to me but there isn't much choice in terms of Squier since i don't have much money on me these days. Any ideas to what would be good for this kind of stuff?

Thanks
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Seymour Duncan Invader
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20
The goldtop in your sig.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The goldtop in your sig.

That's been set up for Drop C which is what my band play in.
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20
Look for a G&L Tribute ASAT jr (I believe): a nice Teleclone with twin HBs. The G&L Tribute Fallout would also be a good option- bridge HB and neck P90.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by FingerFud
That's been set up for Drop C which is what my band play in.

Turn the knobs on the head of your guitar. You'll need to do this to all 6. With enough precision and artistry, a Drop C guitar can be repurposed into standard tuning.

Deftones is Drop D and way lower depending on which album your talking about.

But I agree use the Glodtop and tune it up. typically you will have no issues when tuning from C to D

Dannyalcatraz it is the ASAT Deluxe carved-top your thinking of, and they are great guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I completely forgot about the flat top Deluxe, the Fallout looks pretty cool also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I recently had a custom made with a HB/P90 setup, and I have to say it is a very fun combo. I'm probably going to do a pup swap on one of my cheaper guitars to put it into that kind of setup, too.

I can't hesitate to post again...

Go look at live pictures of every band you listed, you will find EVERYONE of them at some point playing an LP or LP copy. You'll also find them playing Fenders...it's because the guitar at the end of the day doesn't matter. Some guitars bands like these avoid, but LP's and LP copies definitely aren't one of them.

I just don't understand it man, I don't. You have two sweet guitars that are capable to play any damn type of music yet you'll post about wanting a budget guitar evidently in the fashion of a Fender. What because Fender is the go-to for light rock? my ass!

I'm not very old but I'm gonna talk like I am..."back in my day" I had one damn guitar. And I played everything on it. And when I got tired of it, I traded it for a different one. I never once thought "oh I want to play a greenday song I better buy a new guitar." It's just asinine.

And what about tuning, are you against it or what? I understand the desire to have a guitar dedicated to different projects and tunings, but guess what...YOU HAVE TWO DAMN GUITARS!

My suggestion: Tune your ESP to drop C and tune up your LP.
Quote by BUZZARD__
I can't hesitate to post again...

Go look at live pictures of every band you listed, you will find EVERYONE of them at some point playing an LP or LP copy. You'll also find them playing Fenders...it's because the guitar at the end of the day doesn't matter. Some guitars bands like these avoid, but LP's and LP copies definitely aren't one of them.

I just don't understand it man, I don't. You have two sweet guitars that are capable to play any damn type of music yet you'll post about wanting a budget guitar evidently in the fashion of a Fender. What because Fender is the go-to for light rock? my ass!

I'm not very old but I'm gonna talk like I am..."back in my day" I had one damn guitar. And I played everything on it. And when I got tired of it, I traded it for a different one. I never once thought "oh I want to play a greenday song I better buy a new guitar." It's just asinine.

And what about tuning, are you against it or what? I understand the desire to have a guitar dedicated to different projects and tunings, but guess what...YOU HAVE TWO DAMN GUITARS!

My suggestion: Tune your ESP to drop C and tune up your LP.

You ok man?

I have a guitar for every tuning I play...just sayin But I bought mine over a course of time...slowly lol
Well i'm actually having issues with my ESP LTD at the moment. I can't seem to play it now as it REALLY hurts my hands all of a sudden. I'm going to sell it to my friend and use the money for another guitar.

I'm thinking of buying another Epi LP Standard and using that for all the stuff i mentioned because you really can't go wrong with a Les Paul (this is my opinion anyways)
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20
Quote by rawilliams21
You ok man?

I have a guitar for every tuning I play...just sayin But I bought mine over a course of time...slowly lol

of course!

I just get worked up over stuff like this. I can geek out about equipment all day, but this stuff frustrates me. I'm not just singling out the OP on this, but some people would rather mope over what they don't have than appreciate what they do.

And I feel like this is a major issue with beginning musicians. They start to obsess about equipment so early in their development that they convince themselves that progress is 1 part effort, 1 part time, and 2 parts guitar brand.

It is what it is. Vent over
Quote by FingerFud
Well i'm actually having issues with my ESP LTD at the moment. I can't seem to play it now as it REALLY hurts my hands all of a sudden. I'm going to sell it to my friend and use the money for another guitar.

I'm thinking of buying another Epi LP Standard and using that for all the stuff i mentioned because you really can't go wrong with a Les Paul (this is my opinion anyways)

This is why in medicine accurate patient histories are important

That's interesting about the ESP because I have nothing but love for them. Is it an action issue? Like it hurts your fingers more?

If you really hate your ESP, sell it, go the guitar shop and jam on a couple. We can suggest or nag all we want, but at the end of the day you'll know whats best for you.
Quote by BUZZARD__
of course!

I just get worked up over stuff like this. I can geek out about equipment all day, but this stuff frustrates me. I'm not just singling out the OP on this, but some people would rather mope over what they don't have than appreciate what they do.

And I feel like this is a major issue with beginning musicians. They start to obsess about equipment so early in their development that they convince themselves that progress is 1 part effort, 1 part time, and 2 parts guitar brand.

It is what it is. Vent over

I mean you're right man. But hey, let him blow the money if he wants to...lol.
I mean you guys are totally right. First off, i'm not sure what is wrong my ESP since the action has always been the same and i've using the same strings on it but i stopped playing the thing, and now since i'll be playing less heavy stuff, i'm thinking of selling that to get something more suited to what i want to play.
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20

I hesitate to post this reply because I know how much crap I'll get for this saying this but I am totally agreeing with Buzzard. While I own about 20 guitars, when I am out playing I have two (one with humbuckers and another with single coils). I play in band with other people and it's not all about me. I can't show up with four or five guitars, put them on stands and take up half of the stage or area we are playing in at some club (that's the drummers job). And how much time do you waste between songs before the beer gets warm and the audience gets restless while I change guitars.
I just went to an Eric Johnson concert a few weeks ago and he used the same guitar through the whole two hour show. Occasionally taking a minute to tune but never changing his guitar. Did he have a variety of sounds and awesome tones? You bet, and while some of it is related to his pedal board (mostly light distortions and multiple delays) most of it IMHO was due to his awesome technique and talent. I think people watch too many videos with major acts doing their "Rig Rundown" where the guitar tech for a major artist shows off a dozen guitars each one set up for only one or two songs. That may be a reality for some, but not me. (Maybe I'm just jealous that I don't have a guitar tech.)
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 18, 2014,