What's going on guys? I'm in the market for a new amp and I've been wanting a Marshall. At first I wanted to go with a half stack but for hassle sake I think I'd rather go with a nice combo amp. I'm looking to spend anywhere between $300-800.

Bit of what I'm looking for and my playing background. I primarily play heavy, plenty of distortion. I prefer a big booming sound, nothing crazy distorted but POWERFUL. Does that make sense? I'm also very much a neck pickup player for lead parts, so I want smooth clears in that aspect. Finally a clean tone that's bright with good clarity.

If anyone has any recommendations based on that I'd love to hear it. I want to go to Guitar Center and try out different amps, ultimately I'll end up buying online. Any help is appreciated people!
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Krank Chadwick for $419
www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Used-Krank-2000s-CHADWICK-Black-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110386165-i3896774.gc
This is a 2 channel Marshall style amp with a great clean channel and it is 50 watts.

Here is a Marshall 1960a 4x12 for $350
www.guitarcenter.com/MARSHALL-Used-Marshall-1960-Lead-Guitar-Cabinet-110401703-i3902999.gc

There you go, a very good 1/2 stack for your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thank you for the recommendations. I am however primarily looking for a combo amp. Or is it really just better to go for a half stack if you're going for Marshall?
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Thank you for the recommendations. I am however primarily looking for a combo amp. Or is it really just better to go for a half stack if you're going for Marshall?

well it depends, some amps were never available as a head, or as a combo. It is up to you to decide which you prefer. I personally like having a head and cab over a combo, it makes swapping to a new head really easy or you can buy multiple heads and have a cab that will work with all of them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Marshall combos are open backed. Going by what you said, I would say that you need something closed backed. Get the rig Rob found you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Jcm 800 4211 with a cab blocker insert, then do the clean channel mod.

(But really, plexi, cause dem cleans)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Dec 17, 2014,
The 4211 is a bit small to close off the back isn't it? I've never seen it done but they're pretty small. The 4211 is rubbish anyway, had you said 4103 I'd cut you some slack but the 4211? Sorry, no cigar. They're not even easy to mod. Even a 4102 is easier to make sound good than a 4211. And even then, they're just as small as the 4211. I used to run mine with a 1960A to get some decent bottom end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can mod them to get Jubilee style cleans.

Dunno how easy it is because, frankly, I don't care about channel switching Marshalls.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I don't like Silver Jubilees either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tbh I don't like any Marshall amps after 84, except maybe the 2466 Vintage Modern. That amp is pretty damn good.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I wouldn't mind keeping this thread going. I'll just look into getting that half stack since many seem to agree that a closed cabinet is what I should be going for.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
The 6100 was pretty good. But it was the odd man out during that period. Otherwise I'd agree, except for the VM. Wasn't very impressed and I gave it a good workout in a band setting. The boost is rubbish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It took me a really long time to figure out how to eq it correctly, but once I did it reminded me a lot of the JTM45 with more of a loaded preamp. Sort of like taking a 45 and giving it the 800 treatment.

I liked it, but not enough to buy one.

I had the choice between a VM and the RM100. The RM100 cost more but it was worth it. WTF use is a boost without a volume control? And it was stoopily noisy. And then a few month's later I needed a SLO so I definitely made the right choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm still very very fond of the VM. You gotta use it for what it's good at. Don't bother with the boost. I don't even use the high gain channel when I play em. Just crank the low gain channel, or set it to edge of breakup. The former for sludge heaven, the latter is amazingly dynamic, it can be completely clean or pretty dirty just with pick attack. Very much reminiscent of a JTM45, like bubb_tubbs said. It even runs KT66s.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
for some reason i think you want a mesa rec. you get the huge bass, and the cleans are glassy in my trem-o-verb.

a rectoverb would be in budget, they are a single rec and have reverb. it would be in price range. 311 picked up one and likes it.

otherwise if you want a marshall get one of the DSL (i don't remember which is which but there are two versions 40 watt 1x12"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Does it really have to be Marshall? If it does, look at the JCM2000 DSL or DSL combos, British-made. There was a breakpoint year though before which they had some issues, I'm thinking 2003. The last 2 years they're Chinese made and the components are taking a dive as is the tone. Still good amp for the buck but the older British ones are definitely a lot better.

I'd suggest Traynor Blue, those are very affordable used (around $400-$500) and are Canadian-made and very close clone the the JCM800.
Have you taken a look at Jet City Amplification? They sound very similar to Soldanos and are designed by them. It's in your price range and they sound amazing.
Quote by diabolical
Does it really have to be Marshall? If it does, look at the JCM2000 DSL or DSL combos, British-made. There was a breakpoint year though before which they had some issues, I'm thinking 2003. The last 2 years they're Chinese made and the components are taking a dive as is the tone. Still good amp for the buck but the older British ones are definitely a lot better.

I'd suggest Traynor Blue, those are very affordable used (around $400-$500) and are Canadian-made and very close clone the the JCM800.

+1. Kind of what I was thinking as well. No offense to TS, but this thread kind of strikes me as a "I've seen all of my favorite bands playing with a wall of Marshalls behind them, therefore I must have a Marshall" kind of thread. I was in the same boat years ago. Ignorantly, I purchased an MG "halfstack" thinking it would give me that Marshall roar I'd always adored. After a few years I determined that it was only capable of delivering elephant-fart noises. Turns out my 6505 was FAR better for my style of music.

A decent Marshall amp will set you back some real money.

TS, what bands/albums have tones you'd like to get? There may be some alternatives to Marshalls that would make you even happier and stay within your budget. I.E. -- Peavey, Jet City Amplification, etc.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^I disagree with a decent Marshall amp setting you back. I have found JCM 2000 DSLs to run around the 450-600 mark used. Those amps tend to get a lot of love around here, hell I love mine, in fact it is the second one I've owned. It has a good clean channel and a good distortion/lead channel. With a boost in front of it, wonders can be had.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I bought a 1983 2204 for $600 a few years ago.

Great amp.

Hell you're lucky now if you can find a 2204/03 for anything under a grand. TS, definitely consider the Chadwick Robb posted, I used to have one and that thing has some serious bass, very big sounding amp. I'd get a Tubescreamer, it needs one for the heavier stuff.

Failing that, a Laney AOR would be another decent option. Had one of those for a while and it can also get ridiculous bass, it's based off a JCM800 but it has built-in boosts for each of the frequency ranges (bass middle treble) that can make for some intense sounds. Also could use a boost.

Failing that a Carvin X100B can get some pretty great sounds, I haven't owned that but it is supposed to be an improved JCM800, see if Dspellman drops in and says anything of them.

Also look into the Marshall Vintage Modern as has been mentioned by others, and the JCM900 SL-X (the SL-X is important, they are the only excellent 900). You may have to use your volume knob to get cleans with some of these, but they will give that sweet Marshall distortion any day I the week.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.