So I've been running through a Fender Mustang III for quite a while and I'm pretty done with the dealing with the virtual effects processor it has. I sort of blindly bought that and still have very little knowledge in terms of amps. I know for sure I want a tube, but other than that I'm a bit lost. I'm not sure whether to go for a head and cab or just upgrade to a nicer combo amp. I want something gig-able as well as versatile. I found a used Ampeg cabinet that I think I'm going to buy, although I don't really know how good of a brand that is. It sounded really decent to me considering the price. As far as heads go, I really like the sound of Orange amps, but they literally won't play clean and that's a deal breaker for me. I need versatility. I want to be able to shift through tight encompassing cleans to heavy crunchy distortion, which I'll probably just be using my pedals for, so I may not even get a head with gain. But as far as brands go, I just don't know.
If it's an Ampeg that would be a bass cab.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by spaceycasey211
So I've been running through a Fender Mustang III for quite a while and I'm pretty done with the dealing with the virtual effects processor it has. I sort of blindly bought that and still have very little knowledge in terms of amps. I know for sure I want a tube, but other than that I'm a bit lost. I'm not sure whether to go for a head and cab or just upgrade to a nicer combo amp. I want something gig-able as well as versatile. I found a used Ampeg cabinet that I think I'm going to buy, although I don't really know how good of a brand that is. It sounded really decent to me considering the price. As far as heads go, I really like the sound of Orange amps, but they literally won't play clean and that's a deal breaker for me. I need versatility. I want to be able to shift through tight encompassing cleans to heavy crunchy distortion, which I'll probably just be using my pedals for, so I may not even get a head with gain. But as far as brands go, I just don't know.

Says who?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Fisheth24
If it's an Ampeg that would be a bass cab.

Not necessarily,

Just like the line of guitar heads they had a line of guitar cabs.
Quote by spaceycasey211
I really like the sound of Orange amps, but they literally won't play clean and that's a deal breaker for me. I need versatility.

That's all I can say being a previous owner of an Orange AD30
Quote by BUZZARD__
Not necessarily,

Just like the line of guitar heads they had a line of guitar cabs.

They did? I didn't know that! Thanks!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have a 2X12 Ampeg cab (the model is v212tv) with V30s that sounds sweet, and my Marshall JCM600 sounds great through it; I haven't tried anything else on it, though.
Quote by Fisheth24
They did? I didn't know that! Thanks!

you're either really good at being sarcastic or the stars aren't aligning...

either way, I'll avoid both feeding your inner troll and sounding offensive (IE: how the hell don't you know about ampeg VL-1002's and 4x12's!?)

Well I tried out a couple of orange heads and they all seemed to become distorted as the volume increased. Are there models that have a cleaner tone?
Quote by spaceycasey211
Well I tried out a couple of orange heads and they all seemed to become distorted as the volume increased. Are there models that have a cleaner tone?

is't that most tube amps? haha

Orange makes some nice two channel amps or look into higher wattage heads
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???