Hey everyone, I was wonder about speaker ratings. I have a mess 2x12 that has V30's in it. I was thinking of swapping these out with two other speakers I have. So here is my question.

Jensen rates the Electric Lightening at 98 decibels and eminence rates the Swamp Thang at 102. Is this too big of a difference? Should I trust the ratings?

I don't really want to rip everything apart and try it if the difference is too great and the EL will get overwhelmed by the ST.

Do you think the difference is too great and I'll just wasting my time doing the swap or do you think it would work out ok?
You shoud NEVER blindly trust ratings.
Well not in this field anyway.

Eminence is usually generous with its ratings.

It may well work, but the only way of knowing it for sure is trying it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It's a 2x12 so why should anyone care if one speaker is louder. They will average out about the same as your V30s. It's not like the cab will tip over from too much swamp thang. The ST will just be more dominant in the mix.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm worried about it being too dominant and not being able to hear the lightening come through.

I just don't want to waste my time pulling everything apart, so I figured I would get some expert opinions on whether it will work out well or not considering the rating difference.

I am by no means an expert or even a novice when it comes to speaker ratings, so I am wondering if i can trust them. If they are indeed correct, is 4 decibels too large of a difference for a pair of speakers to match up well and not have one drown out the other.
I would only trust ratings when comparing speakers of the same brand.

That said, I own a pair of Swamp Thangs and I can tell you they are LOUD.

I have paired them with Celestion G12S-50s which are rated at about 96 db (Swamp Thangs are rated @ 102 db).

The Celestions could not be heard in the cab, as the Swamps clearly overpowered them. So I'd be leary of that mix until you hear from someone who has tried them together.
From the following website

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level:
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Will the ST overpower the Jensen? Maybe. No way to tell without testing it. If I had no speakers I might run this experiment just for personal satisfaction. If my cab already had working V30s in there? And I do, I would not change them out unless they were dead. I simply love them. This after owning Jensen C12N, P12N, P12Q, C10R, Altec 417, Altec 418, JBL D120F, D130, EVM12, Emi Private Jack, Celestion G12M, Celestion Heritage G12H30.

Yep, been around the speaker block a time or two. I can work with V30s. They are fine tools for guitar music.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230

The specs in these two speakers are about as far apart as you can get.
It sounds glorious.
Although the G12K-85 is about 98db and the Alnico Gold is 100db

Quote by KailM

That said, I own a pair of Swamp Thangs and I can tell you they are LOUD.

I have paired them with Celestion G12S-50s which are rated at about 96 db (Swamp Thangs are rated @ 102 db).

The Celestions could not be heard in the cab, as the Swamps clearly overpowered them. So I'd be leary of that mix until you hear from someone who has tried them together.

Thats why the cab build I linked to above has the speakers isolated from each other.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 18, 2014,
i have heard the swamp thing in a number of different cabs paired with different speakers. right now i am running one with a man-o-war. i have also heard them run with a texas heat.

either way, it's a pretty complimentary speaker that is pretty well balanced but definitely has a strong low end to it. i wouldn't worry one bit about mixing a the jensen with a swamp thang.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Spambot_2
You shoud NEVER blindly trust ratings.
Well not in this field anyway.

Eminence is usually generous with its ratings.

It may well work, but the only way of knowing it for sure is trying it.

+1

my v30/classic lead (100 and 99dB respectively, according to celestion) is noticeably louder than my swamp thang/texas head cab (102 and 99dB respectively, according to eminence). granted i have the celestion one stacked on top of the eminence one, which is affecting it most likely, but even still. there's a pretty big difference.

Quote by KailM

+1- and even then they don't always tell you the whole story.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 19, 2014,
Hi Guys, Jason Tice here at P.M.Reproductions and Hempopotamus (HEMP-O) LOUDspeakers....

I just want to take a moment to introduce myself and propose providing my services regarding loudspeakers..
If any of you are needing simple speaker repairs, re-cones performed, modifications, hot-rods, and all out custom fabrications from the ground up, I may be able to help......
I have AMERICAN manufactured speaker components from/for such companies as Electro-Voice, JBL, Celestion, Marshall, FENDER, Ampeg,CTS, Utah, Heppner, Quam, Bose, Cerwin Vega,Oxford,Jensen,Weber, Tone Tubby, and a host of others, including my own HEMP-O hemp fiber cones......
All of these speaker components are OEM, and I REFUSE to use replacement, "Waldo", import, or Chinese junk components.BUY AMERICAN!!! Some day your neighbor will thank you.....
It's tough to find individuals who provide these services who are competent, provide fast turn around time, and reasonably priced.....

If any of you should find yourselves needing any of the above, or even my hemp fiber cone upgrades,feel free to contact me at pmreproductions@neo.rr.com, or visit my website at hempopotamusloudspeakers.com.

KEEP THOSE GREAT OLD VINTAGE LOUDSPEAKERS RUNNING!!!! DON'T replace them with import junk!!!

Sincerely,-

Jason Tice/ PMR/ HEMP-O LOUDspeakers
I had Jason recone my Eden 410's in July. After getting them back I played through them at low volume for about 8 hours to break them in. The next rehersal I ran them bridged through my wt800 and they sounded great. The following rehersal, same thing but about half way through I noticed a buzzing. When I looked down I noticed that the dust cap was in 3 pieces and completely disconnected from the cone. When I contacted Jason he assumed that this occured from pushing the speakers too hard. Keep in mind that these were the "beefed up" Edens that he had sold me on and that I wasnt playing at live stage volume. He told me that he had never seen this before and that it was more than likely caused by faulty wiring in the cabinet or a problem with my amp. Thinking that this may have been the case I paid to have my cabinet, my amp and even my speakon cable checked and nothing is faulty with any of it and all speakers were wired series/parallel as per Edens diagram. Jason then agreed to send me a new cap. 7 or 8 caps of all sizes and material arrived a few days later. None of which matched the caps on my speakers. Jason then asked me for the size of the caps on the other speakers and I provided him a measurement. He then told me that he would send the correct sized cap and $20 for my troubles. He supposedly mailed the package via USPS on Monday, October 3, 2016. Today is October 12....10 days later. I still have not received the package and Jason will not return any communication.

I spent today making calls to other companies who offer recone service, had correspondence with US Music Corp, Eminence support, David Nordschow himself and several other speaker supply companies trying to locate a dust cap that matches what Jason used since he clearly has no idea what parts he used on this rebuild and clearly is not backing his work or honoring his warrenty. I was also asking for professional opinions on what these guys thought would have caused a cap to "blow up". The guy from Eminence asked if the vent hole on the speakers back plate was plugged or restricted as if it was this would cause this type of cap failure as the air would have nowhere to go besides out the front of the speaker. Interestingly enough what Jason did was he printed an Eden logo about 2.5"x5", laminated it and secured it too the backplate....covering the vent. When I explained this to every other recone professional they all threw a red flag on this error by Jason. I have communicated all of this to Jason via text message and he claims that he has spent far too much time on this issue. It has now been 4 days since I have heard from Jason. 1 Ohio area recone service, a guy in Georgia and an employee of NuWay where I was told that Jason buys a lot of his B-stock parts all appologised for the trouble that Jason has caused me and all knew who he was. 2 of them shared concerns of what this guy is doing for the reputation of other recone services offered by businesses around the country. I am giving thus until Friday. If the new cap and $20 doesnt show up I will be filing a chargeback with my credit card company. I spent an entire day collecting statements from many who will prove that this guy needs to reconsider his level and quality of customer service. Never tell your customer who spent $400 that you will make things right and then tell them that the mail is just slow.

Jason even went as far to try to telk me that USPS uses xray technology that may have caused damage to the speakers. How about just admitting to your mistakes and making it right? When I asked about sending the speakers back to be checked out he told me that there was no reason in risking further damage to the speakers and that he would just send me a new cap. At this point I want nothing more than him to stay as far away as possible from my speakers and to just refund what I paid him. The guys who I spoke with today are concerned about other damage that was done to the rest of the speakers.

Jason has a full coverage 1 year warrenty unless damage appears to be caused by misuse, being dropped, etc. He is not holding up his end of the deal and I cant tell you enough how much I recommend selecting another company to recone your speakers.

2 of the guys that I spoke with today said that the Jadon isnt even authorized to purchase the JBL cones that he is claiming to use.

I have never been more disatisfied with a purchase...dont make the same mistake that I did.
^ wow that sucks. thanks very much for the heads-up and i hope you get it sorted
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just swap them out - you indicated that you already own all the speakers so its not like you are having to buy speakers based on recommendations. It doesn't take that long to switch out speakers and if you hate it you can always switch back. Will there be a volume difference between the two speakers - yes - will it result in a mix that you don't like? - only you can tell by hearing it.
Sorry to hear about the issues, but this was an old thread and we probably should have deleted that ad when it was first posted.