Hi. I've been on the hunt for a new distortion pedal, and I'm trying to find a sound that has a more digital sound. A great example would be the opening to "Chinatown" by Van Halen. Please tell me what the name of this effect is. Thank you!
Most of the work there is done with an octave synthesizer, like a POG. I can't tell what's going on with it though, it might be double tracked as well.

The clipping can be done with any "metal" distortion pedal with a clean boost active in front of it. But since this is EVH here, there is probably a lot more to it than that.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 18, 2014,