I am planning on joining jazz band in high school and i was wondering what chords do i need to know? I know my major minor chords E and A barre chord shapes but what else should i know?
Learn:

Maj7
Min7
Dom7
m7b5
and Dim7

That's the bare minimum to avoid drowning. Learn how to read rhythm slashes as well.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Ask the High School band director for a copy of some commonplace sheet music, and learn everything it has on it. It helps to learn what the chords mean so that you can create the chord without pulling up a chord chart for every chord change.

For instance, a Gmaj7 chords means to add the 7th (in a G major scale) to the G major chord. However, a G7 means to add the 7th (in a G minor scale) to the G major chord. That way you can adjust your changes to be fluid and follow the song's timbre.

If you can, get someone to help you out. Maybe the guitarist at the High School if they exist.
Since the question for this may come up, here are some patterns (fingers left-hand; 1, 2, 3, 4 = index, middle, ring- and pinky), for convenience's sake the index finger always being the root safe 3 noted exceptions. NOTE: These do require you to learn the notes on your fretboard. Also, look at Jens Larsen's writings on this site, they should be quite helpful to you.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Learn:
Maj7

eadgbe
|1||||
|||2||
||3|4|

eadgbe
1|||2|
||34||

eadgbe
||1|||
||||||

Quote by Jet Penguin

Min7

eadgbe
|1|1||
||||2|
||3|||

eadgbe
1|234|
||||||

eadgbe
||1|||
|||4||

Quote by Jet Penguin

Dom7

eadgbe
|1|1||
||||||
||3|4|

eadgbe
||||1|
||2|||
|3|4||

eadgbe
||1|||
||||3|
|||2|4

Quote by Jet Penguin

m7b5

eadgbe
|1|2||
||3|4|

eadgbe(The exception to the rule, the 2nd finger(middle) is the root note here.)
||||1|
2|34||

eadgbe
||1|||

Quote by Jet Penguin

and Dim7

That's the bare minimum to avoid drowning. Learn how to read rhythm slashes as well.

(One of the exceptions, since the intervals between the notes are the same, any finger can be the root note. Naturally, this does not take in the inversion of the chord.)

eadgbe
|||1||
|2||||
||3|4|

eadgbe
||1|1|
2||3||

eadgbe
||1|2|
|||3|4

And a few more for good measure,

MinAdd6(Again an exception, 2nd finger is now the root.)

eadgbe
||1|||
2||34|

eadgbe
||1|1|
||||3|

Dom7#5
eadgbe
1|2|||
|||34|

eadgbe
|1|1||
||||3|
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Dec 19, 2014,
It depends on the band but when I played in HS and college the answer was simple:
"you need all your chords and all your scales."

9th,11th,13th, b5, aug, ... everything.

It is the vocabulary of jazz.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
All the shapes FretboardToAsh only have each note once, which is cool, but most of them can be played slightly differently to double notes and fill out the chord. In particular, the most common voicings (a lot of these are very similar to your basic major and minor barre chords, and all of these have the lowest note as the root), based on the shapes he posted:

The first two Maj7 shapes:

eadgbe
|1|||1
|||2||
||3|4|

eadgbe
1|||11
||23||
|4||||

The first two Min7:

eadgbe
|1|1|1
||||2|
||3|||

eadgbe  (the b string can have either the pinky or leave it barred)
1|1111
||||||
|3||||
||||4|

The first Dom7 like this

eadgbe
|1|1|1
||||||
||3|4|

plus another Dom7 he didn't mention (pinky optional)

1|1|11
|||2||
|3||||
||||4|

For the first m7b5 and the third Dim7 (same shape, different strings) I find it a little easier to just barre and use my 2nd and 3rd fingers, but this is just a matter of which way you prefer.

eadgbe
|1|1||
||2|3|

eadgbe
||1|1|
|||2|3

There's also a good shape not mentioned for both m7b5 and Dim7.

m7b5
1||1|1
|2||||
||3|||
||||4|

Dim7
1||1|1
|2||||
||3|4|

Of course there are many ways to play these chords. FretboardToAsh listed what I think are all the easy to play 4 note voicings, I just figured I'd elaborate with the most common fleshed out barre chord versions. It'd be a good idea to learn how to construct chords and then just fiddle around and see what voicings you can come up with. It's fun to play around with and will really help with your knowledge of the fretboard. Once you know how to create chords the 9th, 11th, etc can all be built off of these chords fairly easily.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 19, 2014,