Doing a bit of checking before I made this thread, people seem to like (or at least tolerate) the vintage reissue JCM stuff. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1664264&highlight=marshall+dsl

I think most people can say they dislike the MG series. That's understandable.

What about Marshall's current DSL and JVM series? They're fairly expensive new ($500 for a 5W?) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=marshall+tube

I'm currently watching a review of some of the DSL's, and the reviewer seems to like them. What is UG's opinion on DSL and JVM series?
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 18, 2014,
The JVM is IMO a mediocre amp, not bad at anything, but not great either. The JVM410JS is soposedly a really nice amp, but I have not played one yet.

The JCM800 reissue is a nice amp if you want that classic 80's marshall tone.

The JCM900 reissue is a POS and not worth anything near what they want for a new one. It is arguably one of the worst marshall's ever made and why they would reissue them is beyond me.

The new DSL's are OK amps, but are not as good as the JCM2000 DSL line.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Class 5 is worth every penny.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Just get a regular old JCM 800 and put a boost in front of it. It's the sound that every amp they have made since has tried ttyl achieve, and failed miserably.

My take on new Marshall amps, as well as many modern production amps, is that they sound nice, but like they are emulating the sound of a guitar amp, without the dynamics or feel (balls). When you play one of the older Marshall amps loud, you'll understand the hype, as you are hit with a wall of pure organic overdrive.

The clean channels, effects loops, etc. On newer amps Are nice and convenient, but take away from the simplicity of the circuits that gave the older amps their sonic characteristics. It's not like they had some magic formula that can't be recreated, just a simple circuit with quality parts.

A JCM 800 clone should be easy enough to come by, and will blow away the reissue for the same price, or cheaper.
a splwan quickrod will kill any of the JVM's in production for higher wattage high gain amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Basically for the most part the made in England Marshalls are of better components and quality than the Chinese reissues. The DSL is still a good amp and the Chinese reissue brought down the price some. I still think that Canadian made Traynor and british Laney can get you there (JCM800 and 2000 territory) with better quality build and bang for the buck.
The JVM to me is the last true Marshall as after the start of that line they were acquired by Korg.
I tried the JVM210c 100 watt combo in a guitar store yesterday and i thought it was great. Doesn't really compare to the vintage reissue stuff they are doing but i thought it was phenomenal for the price. Haven't tried the DSL series but i need to.
I'm usually one for underdogs and stuff that everyone else doesn't have, but after trying everything, and after trying and buying and returning, what I ended up with was a JVM50 2x12 combo, with which I've been very happy ever since.

A Bogner is better at clean sounds, an Engl is better at ultra-hi-gain stuff, but the Marshall gives me that raw and dirty, biting, brutal overdrive as well as crisp crunch or surprisingly well-defined and punchy clean sounds. To me, it fares very well for Slayer, Gary Moore, classic rock and clean electric blues, which is an amazing range imho. On top of that, it was one of the cheaper amps in comparison.

It may not be the best for everyone, but I found the JVM extremely versatile while still giving me that unmistakeable raw Marshall overdrive sound I love so much. Unlike my guitars and other equipment, I'm pretty much 100% satisfied with this amp.
Quote by Knarrenheino

It may not be the best for everyone, but I found the JVM extremely versatile while still giving me that unmistakeable raw Marshall overdrive sound I love so much. Unlike my guitars and other equipment, I'm pretty much 100% satisfied with this amp.

It is a nice amp, God forbid you'd have to get it serviced though, if you looked inside your jaw will fall at the mess of wires. I also like its tone but the reason I didn't get it used at the time and got a JCM900 was the build.
Quote by diabolical
Basically for the most part the made in England Marshalls are of better components and quality than the Chinese reissues. The DSL is still a good amp and the Chinese reissue brought down the price some. I still think that Canadian made Traynor and british Laney can get you there (JCM800 and 2000 territory) with better quality build and bang for the buck.
The JVM to me is the last true Marshall as after the start of that line they were acquired by Korg.

The new DSL is made in Vietnam and yes it pails in comparison to the JCM2000 DSL line.
Laney has very spotty QC some lines are great others are meh
Traynors are great amps, but they are ugly as hell

JCM900 SL-X and MKIII are good amps, the 900 DR leaves a lot to desire, but Cath has some good mods if you still have it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 21, 2014,
I think the JVM is ok. I probably wouldn't buy one as it's not really my cup of tea, but a lot of folks I know have gotten great great sounds out of it. A lot of these amps that cost $2000+ sound pretty good, but you can usually find something better for the price (or never pay that kind of price to begin with).

That said, I've been out of the gear game for a long time. But last I remembered a few years ago, you could buy an old JCM800 for far less than one of the reissues. Imo, that's still the best option to scout an old one, have a tech look it over and be good to go. If you're into the Marshall sound, then just buy an old single channel 800 for $1000, goose the front end with an overdrive pedal and have enough to basically play anything.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by al112987
I think the JVM is ok. I probably wouldn't buy one as it's not really my cup of tea, but a lot of folks I know have gotten great great sounds out of it. A lot of these amps that cost $2000+ sound pretty good, but you can usually find something better for the price (or never pay that kind of price to begin with).

That said, I've been out of the gear game for a long time. But last I remembered a few years ago, you could buy an old JCM800 for far less than one of the reissues. Imo, that's still the best option to scout an old one, have a tech look it over and be good to go. If you're into the Marshall sound, then just buy an old single channel 800 for $1000, goose the front end with an overdrive pedal and have enough to basically play anything.

You're alive!

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You're alive!
barely. i'm finally starting to see the end of the finish line, though idk if that is actually the light at the end of the tunnel or just years of sleep deprivation creeping in.

how have the forums been in my absence?
No idea. Just came back this month.