So ive recently formed a punk/hard rock band and am relatively new to gigging. Ive bought a brand new gibson 2014 sg special as my main axe but also have a stock squier classic vibe strat. Amps on the other hand arent so great. I own two pretty beat up laney 15w extreme combos (solid state). Only problem is ive been told they wont be loud enough individually. Since i dont know how to use both amps at the same time. Im wondering whether i should upgrade the bridge pickup on my strat to some sort of sd hot rails configuration, so ive got a kick-ass backup guitar (and maybe a few pedals) or upgrade my amp to a larger, maybe 2x12 tube amp. Basically which option would u go with? And how do use both amps at the same time?
Any responses greatly appreciated.
Joe
I would invest in a new amp. Playing both amps at the same time still won't cut it.
These go to eleven...
Yeah get a new amp, give us a budget and loation and we can find you something good for your money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok budget is roughly £500 so thats roughly €700. Are you sure that a new louder amp would be more useful than a pickup to make a backup guitar and some useful pedals?
Remember that my band is basically brand new so the venues we are playing range from pubs to small clubs and house parties
Try the two amps with an ABY switch or take fx send from one and put in fx return of the other and see if the power cuts it, but yeah, a new amp would be nice.

I'd suggest at least 30 watt tube, maybe DSL40C or Valveking combo.
You won't find a better rig than the Jet City JCA50h and the Harley Benton G212 vintage from thomann
JCA50h €289
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

HB G212 vintage €195
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

If you want a 4x12 cab then this would be my choice
HB G412 vintage €359
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ill try the ABY switch tactic. If not it looks like ill be getting a new amp. Cheers for the help guys
Quote by IncognitoJoe
Ill try the ABY switch tactic. If not it looks like ill be getting a new amp. Cheers for the help guys

Trust me, both of those amps together will not sound good at band volumes. But give it a try so you can see for yourself, then get the Jet City
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Trust me, both of those amps together will not sound good at band volumes. But give it a try so you can see for yourself, then get the Jet City

Jet city it is. Im counting on you man!
Quote by IncognitoJoe
Jet city it is. Im counting on you man!

Her you go, this is what it sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YVgpFcgwg&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PHh_aIwQY&feature=player_detailpage

The Jet City JCA50h is a budget version of the Soldano HRA+ (hot rod avenger) which is a $2000+ amp.
I play in a punk band (have for 15yrs) and I would use that setup.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Her you go, this is what it sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YVgpFcgwg&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PHh_aIwQY&feature=player_detailpage

The Jet City JCA50h is a budget version of the Soldano HRA+ (hot rod avenger) which is a $2000+ amp.
I play in a punk band (have for 15yrs) and I would use that setup.

Sounds awesome. Im going for it. ☺
Quote by IncognitoJoe
Sounds awesome. Im going for it. ☺

If you have the extra money, I suggest getting a OD pedal like the Digitech Bad Monkey to use with the amp. You set the OD as a clean boost and it can add that extra punch to you sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 on the jet city

+1 on an od pedal to use as a boost. Boss sd1 is pretty nice too (if you get one without the bypass bleed )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 on the jet city

+1 on an od pedal to use as a boost. Boss sd1 is pretty nice too (if you get one without the bypass bleed )

When u say to use as a boost. What do u mean exactly?
Quote by deadsmileyface
good guitar choices, i'd grab some kinda overdrive and maybe look into some of fender's combo amps

Thats what im doing. Im thinking some of the hot rod blues combos. Never played them though so got any reccomendations? Im thing about getting a digitech bad monkey or a fulltone ocd pedal for overdrive. My options are:
1. Get a jet city 2x12 amp for large amounts of volume plus one of those overdrive pedals.
2. Get a fender combo (don't know which one) and a pedal, plus a bridge pickup (possibly a seymour duncan hot rails)

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!
Quote by IncognitoJoe
When u say to use as a boost. What do u mean exactly?

Set the volume to max, gain to 0 and tone to your preference. This will boost the input signal and add a bit of compression and sustain plus you get a little extra punch out of the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You don't need the hot rails bridge pickup if you've got one of the boost pedals.

And if you're going to get something and you can't be talked out of it, pick up a DiMarzio Fast Track II.
get the jet city. and robbgnarly is on the money for using it as a boost. basically when using a boost you're still using the amp for the distortion. but the boost makes it sound better, basically. it boosts the distortion that's already there, and changes the tone a bit too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?