anyone have any advice for selecting the best open-tuning for a particular song? i would guess you would simply go with whatever key the song is in. but then again, i'm not sure, especially since the chorus of a song sometimes does not include any chords that include that root note, or key.

for example, if a song --- based on the verses --- is in the key of D, then my first thought is to use an open-D (or dropped-D tuning). however, what if the chorus goes G-Bm-A? in that case it seems like using an open-D tuning would not be the best option for that particular song.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
You may want to move this to Musician Talk section of the forum. That way you'll get more help!

For the example you bring up about using open D for a song in the key of D I don't understand why it would be hard to use it with G-Bm-A. The Bm chord itself isn't hard to play in open D tuning.
ok so it sounds like it doesn't matter, there's no "right" and "wrong," it's more personal preference.

thanks dude. appreciate the reply.
Quote by CannonballDays
ok so it sounds like it doesn't matter, there's no "right" and "wrong," it's more personal preference.

thanks dude. appreciate the reply.

Exactly! Just have to find whatever tuning sounds best to you.

I'm glad I could help.