My wife and I mentor kids and teens and one teenager in particular that we have living with our family and are adopting is an avid guitar player with great skill and better potential. We have two other kids and im a disabled veteran so disabled that im home bound so getting out to ask these questions in an impossibility.

Toby (the teen) is currently using an old Fender Squire that is well bellow his ability. I want to get him a new guitar for Christmas and Amazon.com seems to be my best bet but I'm lost. I want to spend around $250-$280 (all I can afford) and there are some great deals right now but I need help picking a good one that is befitting his ability. He loves to play Blues and Rock.

Can anyone help.
Thank you
Get a used MIJ Ibanez.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
or a used mexican strat, never can go wrong with one of those.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
or a used mexican strat, never can go wrong with one of those.

lol knowing you wouldn't you prefer an unused made in japan strat?

Quote by MinterMan22
lol knowing you wouldn't you prefer an unused made in japan strat?

i never thought of it like that... in that case yes i would prefer that lol.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Get him an Epiphone Les Paul. They are very reliable, and in all honesty not that much different than a Gibson, besides the price. If he saves up some money, he can even get the pickups and other electronics replaced, making it just as good or better than most Gibsons.

I have one that I have customized over the years, and I have yet to play a Gibson Les Paul that sounds or feels better than my Epiphone. I've been using it for over 10 years, and it has gotten me through many rock gigs, and also the jazz program at my university, which it sounds great for with some heavy gauge, flat-wound strings.

http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-LP-100-Electric-Vintage-Sunburst/dp/B0002CZUTM/ref=sr_1_12?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1419064695&sr=1-12&keywords=electric+guitar
Quote by kingjazzblue
What about a Epiphone Faded G-400 SG Electric Guitar, Worn Brown

http://smile.amazon.com/Epiphone-Faded-G-400-Electric-Guitar/dp/B0002PZBNO/ref=pd_rhf_schuc_p_img_1

I'm deciding now between that and the LP-100 MeGaDeth2314 suggested.
Thank you all for your help. I really appriciate it.

The Japanese strat or the les Paul are probably better choices, as much as I love SGs, they don't handle blues that well.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Thats is a great choice. He will love it and dont worry you can play blues on an SG and they are perfect for rock. All around great guitar for the price and a cool finish too. Merry Christmas!
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Get him an Epiphone Les Paul. They are very reliable, and in all honesty not that much different than a Gibson, besides the price. If he saves up some money, he can even get the pickups and other electronics replaced, making it just as good or better than most Gibsons.

I have one that I have customized over the years, and I have yet to play a Gibson Les Paul that sounds or feels better than my Epiphone. I've been using it for over 10 years, and it has gotten me through many rock gigs, and also the jazz program at my university, which it sounds great for with some heavy gauge, flat-wound strings.

http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-LP-100-Electric-Vintage-Sunburst/dp/B0002CZUTM/ref=sr_1_12?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1419064695&sr=1-12&keywords=electric+guitar

Honestly, a bolt on neck LP 100 is not a good guitar. I hope you got the G400 or the strat instead.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by damian_91
Get a used MIJ Ibanez.

For $280?

Good luck with that.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314

The LP100 is a piece of crap.

It's just a glorified LP Special II with a 4 knob layout and a clownburst paint job. Better than a Gibson it is not imo.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 20, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
For $280?

Not gonna happen.

You can get one for around $300.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Maybe what he really needs is a new amp
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.