Hey everyone, looking for some advise. I'm considering changing the neck pickup on the telecaster from the single coil factory pickup to a humbucker. Several years ago I swapped out the bridge pickup in my Les Paul for a "dirty fingers" pickup and still have the old pickup stashed in the tool box. I've been playing the tele more because I love the way the maple neck feels but want a different kind of sound.

Anybody done this? Do you think it would be worth routing out the body to fit the pickup in? I can do the work myself and have found the schematics online. Main question is, is it worth the trouble? Oh, playing through an old marshall or a crate amp.

It must make some kind of difference because fender sells or used to sell a model like this.

Anyway, thanks for anything I can get.
Keep it in the fairway.
You could do it but really you should just consider getting a body that's already routed for a humbucker in the neck. Also, that dirty fingers pickup is a pretty hot pickup and it would probably end up being much louder than your bridge (which would probably mean you'd need to swap that out too for a hotter one).

So if you want to do it properly, you'll need to route it out, get a new guard, get a full new set of pups and wire them in.

...or you could just buy another tele
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Gibson polepiece spacing is smaller than Fenders. DiMarzio used to make a HB in a single coil form. (Stacked coils vs side by side) Probably similar options fro other MFRs out there as well.
Moving on.....
Stacked single coils are essentially humbuckers in a single coil shape, worth a look, or something like Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, depending on how hot you want them
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You could do it but really you should just consider getting a body that's already routed for a humbucker in the neck. Also, that dirty fingers pickup is a pretty hot pickup and it would probably end up being much louder than your bridge (which would probably mean you'd need to swap that out too for a hotter one).

1. Getting another body is probably the best choice if you absolutely must have a humbucker in that position (though I don't advise it). Look at the Kinman site for other (noiseless) options.

2. I think what he said was that he swapped out the original LP pickup for the dirty fingers, and that he still had the original LP pickup.

3. Even if you have a louder pickup in your neck position, that's no reason to put a hotter one in your bridge position.

I have an 18K DiMarzio Fast Track II in the neck position of one of my guitars, and it is definitely louder than the 9.2K hot-wound '57 in the bridge position. That's not a problem. In fact, every guitar made before the early '80's had the same output pickup in both positions (and this is part of the reason that current LPs don't sound like vintage LPs). When you do that, the neck pickup is ALWAYS louder than the bridge pickup, thanks to the location. If guitar players managed to work with that for 50 years, why should it be a problem now?
Quote by KenG
Gibson polepiece spacing is smaller than Fenders.

Which really doesn't mean anything; I've used both standard Gibson and F-space humbuckers in these circumstances, and there isn't any sound difference; it's mostly just a cosmetic thing.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Also, that dirty fingers pickup is a pretty hot pickup and it would probably end up being much louder than your bridge (which would probably mean you'd need to swap that out too for a hotter one).

Can't you compensate for that by lowering the pickup? Not sure about extreme differences in output, but I found it pretty efficient in fine-tuning.
Thanks for all of the input, guys. I REALLY am hesitant about routing out the Tele (anniversary gift from my lovely wife 29 years ago) but was looking for a kind of project guitar and have the pickup. The suggestion of "just get another tele" is very tempting.

Hmmmmmmmm..........
I've heard of guys stacking magnets or changing magnet material in pickups and getting different tones. Alnico 8 is what the heaviest sounds wound be.

but inductance which is what the snobs go by to measure loudness and resistance is more the less like compression. I'm paraphrasing of course.

try a stacked tele pickup that would cancel noise and give you the power you need. Had a customer bring in a warmoth guitar body (Tele as well) and he went with two 4 wire dimarzios. The other alternative is of course semour duncan as no one wants to go down the EMG route for teles. Bare knuckles is new on the scene (to me) but they are expensive.

a good example of a stupidly hot single coil bare knuckle has is the sinner. It's 19k. My BC Rich bridge pickup is that hot the BDSM model on bronze series and kids who know nothing about guitar gear hate it because they think it's muddy. It's like well.. it's 19k. A bass boost mod fixed it right up and it's a favorite of mine in C# with pure nickel strings for metal.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 20, 2014,