I need help deciding which kind of pick to use. The truth is, I only use picks for solos so i have mine in my mouth half the time. I need one that will last a long time, because i only got like $20.
Uh, picks cost a dollar (if even that). Why don't you just buy a bunch and see what you like best?

I use Ultex.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know picks are cheap but you usually have to buy them in packs... I'll have to try ultex though...thanks
dude no one can really tell you what picks work for you. all that will happen is you'll get a bunch of replies saying "well I use this". ok so personally I mainly use Jim Dunlop Nylon picks usually either 1mm (black) or 2mm (Purple) that works for me can't say if they'd work for you.
Normally in the shop they have a box and you can take as many as you like. I'm using Ernie ball picks now they last alot longer than the standard Torex. I play lots of fast music and people tell you thick picks a better but I like thin ones like 0.70mm couldn't get used to the thick ones and hate their tone. Just buy lots of different sizes and see what you like.
Or you could use a coin that'll last a while😃
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Dec 20, 2014,
Ya, I know that Nylons don't work for me... I was hoping someone would say something about how thick the pick should be for alternative/hard rock. And i play electric most of the time, which is why i don't like nylons...
Quote by Tomatodawg
Ya, I know that Nylons don't work for me... I was hoping someone would say something about how thick the pick should be for alternative/hard rock. And i play electric most of the time, which is why i don't like nylons...

Yeah because theres no right answers. You can use any pick for anything. Its what YOU prefer. Nothing is set in stone.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Picks are the thing with the least influence on the sound, get one that feels comfortable and use that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Tomatodawg

LOL dude I play mainly electric and play hard rock as well. this is kinda the point. I use 1mm or 2mm picks someone else said they use .70mm there just plain isn't a stock answer to give you. you'll just have to try a few out til you find something you like.
I really like Dunlop Tortex 1mm (blue) picks, which I then file down to get a nice sharp edge. The Fender 351 Premium Celluloid pick is outstanding, although you may have to occasionally smooth the sides with a file if your strings chip them or if you play aggresivelly. Other than that, Jazz III's and Jazz III XL's are great picks for precision playing.

I use or have used these picks myself, and they work for me.

Of course, what I like may not be what you like and vice versa. Experiment with picks until you find what works best for you. But if your playing style employs precise alternate picking runs, I would strongly recommend to avoid picks thinner than 1mm.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop "Chrysa"
Fender Standard Stratocaster "Michelle"
Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster "Nefertiti"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

Dunlop Stubby 3.0mm picks
D'Addario strings
Last edited by CostasNoir at Dec 20, 2014,
Only you will be able to decide. You have to experiment, there is no way around it. I tried everything from Ernie ball Celluloid thin picks to the Dunlop Big stubby(3mm).

I would recommend you try Dunlop's Delrin or Tortex line. I'm currently using .96 mm, 1.14 mm and 1.5 mm for electric and .5 mm for acoustic.

Quote by KG6_Steven
Except the picks carved out of stone.

http://stoneworkspicks.com/

Those picks actually look kinda cool. I might consider getting myself one for Christmas.
Quote by Spambot_2
Picks are the thing with the least influence on the sound, get one that feels comfortable and use that.

Well that is complete nonsense. Everything about a pick affects the sound. Size, shape, thickness, material. Pick choice can make as much difference as string choice.

To the original question, I prefer thicker picks or at least very rigid thin picks.
I use Gravity Picks Razers in 2-3mm. Very sharp point, available in several sizes, last forever.
An alternative is a Big Stubby in the same thickness, but I usually sand them to give me a better point.
I just started using a stainless steel DR pick. It was $4, and I'm pretty sure it will last forever. I got an extra incase I lose it.
Quote by derek8520
Everything about a pick affects the sound. Size, shape, thickness, material.
Yes, though I said another thing.
Quote by derek8520
Pick choice can make as much difference as string choice.
You should try this in real life.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by IncognitoJoe
go brian may style and use a six pence coin

I should...but i live in america and don't have a six-pence coin
Quote by Spambot_2

I find the sound quite different if I use a .7mm or a 1.5mm pick. I heard tons of good things about the Dunlop Jazz II pick though, which I'm going to buy soon.
Quote by Knarrenheino
I find the sound quite different if I use a .7mm or a 1.5mm pick. I heard tons of good things about the Dunlop Jazz II pick though, which I'm going to buy soon.

Jazz pick look freaky...like me...I'll have to try one
I would like to say thanks to everyone who gave me a suggestion...I will probably try out various picks from 1mm to 2mm. Btw, does anyone know of a place to get custom picks?
I don't know a maker of custom picks, but I honestly think you should try existing ones, I mean they're less than a dollar each and once you know what you like or dislike in a pick, and only after you find yourself dissatisfied with all existing models, you should consider having anything customised. If there are custom picks anyway, which I'm unaware of.
Quote by Tomatodawg
By custom picks i mean custom design on the pick

you usually have to order a fair amount of picks to get something like that so at this point I wouldn't worry about it.
Just get the Dunlop Pick Variety Pack medium/heavy. It shouldn't cost a lot.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Jazz III picks are nice as are V-Picks.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Quote by MaggaraMarine

THIS +3.1415. $6 and you get to play the field. figure what you like and buy those.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For electric, I use a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm pick, the purple one. Acoustic or classical, I go Jeff Beck and use my fingers haha
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
I personally love Dava picks. My favorite are made from delrin plastic with a molded plastic that feels comfortable and sounds more accurate than normal floppy picks.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dava-grip-tips-delrin-medium?pdpSearchTerm=dava
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by MaggaraMarine

THIS +3.1415. $6 and you get to play the field. figure what you like and buy those.

seriously get that assortment and learn for your self. other its wasting everybody's time. i am not being an ass, just saying to try. and learn. or you can see what everybody likes. form your on opinion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I got a ton of new picks!!! I got this Fender thin shaped like a giant triangle, An Ibanes 1mm, A bunch of Peaveys with super heros on them (They are Marvel not DC, but DC is still Better than Marvel), A Fender Heavy, A 1.14mm Tortex sharp, A 1mm picks by the pound, and finally my favorite pick a Black Gibson EH.
Hey good for you. Glad you found a pletrum you can dig.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Got some xl jazz iii nylon picks and they're pretty good. They don't seem to wear either, which is great.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
i like jazz IIIs for lead work, but its not my favorite for rhythm.
Yellow tortex is my favorite overall for both.
can't stand celluloid or nylon
ULTEX! They have a Rhino on them. Obviously the best.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
As you can see, people are saying "Tortex is the best" "Ultex is the best" "Nylon is the best" "Jazz III is the best". The thing is, it's all about personal preference. The Dunlop Variety Pack includes all of those picks and more.

Another option is to go to a music store and just try how different picks feel in your hand.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115