Yo buddies,

is it possible to mod a HSS Strat to a SSS?
If yes, how difficult is it?
Quote by Roc8995
Super easy, just change the pickguard.

that easy. of course you'll need a single coil pup for the bridge position.
well this is an interesting thing.

look under the pickguard and see how the guitars wood is routed. It's at least a HSS
but... if you haven't bought a name brand humbucker yet try a "mini humbucker" it looks like a single coil but has the power of a humbucker. Such as a JB jr. A screaming demon, hot stack or hot rail by seymour duncan. All cancel hum as well.

mods wise I suggest the auto tap mod or the auto split whatever it's called.
Quote by Tallwood13
well this is an interesting thing.

look under the pickguard and see how the guitars wood is routed. It's at least a HSS
but... if you haven't bought a name brand humbucker yet try a "mini humbucker" it looks like a single coil but has the power of a humbucker. Such as a JB jr. A screaming demon, hot stack or hot rail by seymour duncan. All cancel hum as well.

mods wise I suggest the auto tap mod or the auto split whatever it's called.

ummm..... he already has a humbucker and wants to go to a single coil. why on earth would he put in a single coil sized humbucker?
Quote by monwobobbo
ummm..... he already has a humbucker and wants to go to a single coil. why on earth would he put in a single coil sized humbucker?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Modding to SSS is quite unusual, unless you're reverting a previously done mod. You'll need a new pickguard and the pickup only. And this way you won't have to worry if its routed for the pickup. Be sure to buy a pickguard that guarentees a good fit for the Strat you have though, it can be problematic if the holes doesn't line up.

I wonder though - HSS is not the standard option to go for with a Strat, really. How did you end up with a HSS if you'd rather have an SSS? Just curious.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I bought a used 2012 Custom Shop Strat with stock-HSS configuration.
I always wanted the bridge Singlecoil because of the sound and traditional classy look but when i tried the guitar the playability, sound and everything was so awesome so i bought it.

To be honest I never took the pickguard off so regarding the comments above i guess
the pickups are not screwed into the body wood, right?

That would be great, i just have to buy a SSS pickguard who fits with the screws and of course the bridge pickup. The soldering shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks so far
Last edited by resum at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by resum
I bought a used 2012 Custom Shop Strat with stock-HSS configuration.
I always wanted the bridge Singlecoil because of the sound and traditional classy look but when i tried the guitar the playability, sound and everything was so awesome so i bought it.

To be honest I never took the pickguard off so regarding the comments above i guess
the pickups are not screwed into the body wood, right?

That would be great, i just have to buy a SSS pickguard who fits with the screws and of course the bridge pickup. The soldering shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks so far

the pickups aren't screwed into the wood so not an issue. you can use the same screws that you have and just need a new pickguard. fender makes plenty of direct replacements so should be easy to find.