So I have been playing guitar for over a year now. I have learned several chords but I have not really strayed from the DDU UDU strumming pattern. I use it in almost all the songs I play. How do I get out of this bubble? Do you listen to the song and make up a pattern yourself or do you simply learn 5+ patterns and pick the best one that fits the song? How can I improve myself?
are your upstrokes just as strong as your downstrokes, and can you alternate pick harmonies easily?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

Quote by sock_demon

*Shredding* BREAKER BREAKER, IVE GOT A DEAD HOOKER, OVER*Shredding*
Quote by vongola12th
So I have been playing guitar for over a year now. I have learned several chords but I have not really strayed from the DDU UDU strumming pattern. I use it in almost all the songs I play. How do I get out of this bubble? Do you listen to the song and make up a pattern yourself or do you simply learn 5+ patterns and pick the best one that fits the song? How can I improve myself?

Honestly the ideal way to improve yourself would be to create strumming patterns yourself. That way you are learning how to create strumming patterns and practicing at the same time.

However, if you want to start playing new strumming patterns faster... the best way to do that would be to learn a few patterns.

Btw, that's an interesting pattern for a first pattern.
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Honestly the ideal way to improve yourself would be to create strumming patterns yourself. That way you are learning how to create strumming patterns and practicing at the same time.

However, if you want to start playing new strumming patterns faster... the best way to do that would be to learn a few patterns.

Ideally I would like to just create patterns myself but I'm not advanced enough to know how to do this. I suppose I'll just learn another pattern in the meanwhile.
Quote by vongola12th
Ideally I would like to just create patterns myself but I'm not advanced enough to know how to do this. I suppose I'll just learn another pattern in the meanwhile.

I think you're over complicating the creation of strumming patterns, all it takes is a little bit of rhythm and patience.

It's actually pretty easy. Just tap your foot at a steady pace slowly. Then start strumming along with your foot. Once you're comfortable with this you can start experimenting with strumming patterns.

It kind of goes like this - you get expert at strumming on the beat and it get's easy for you. So then your imagination can kick in because you no longer have to think about how to strum and you start experimenting. If you hear something you like you practice that particular strum pattern.