I'm looking to replace saddles on a telecaster style guitar made in the 80s by Yamaha. Six individual metal saddles that each screw onto a bridge plate and each saddle raises/lowers by turning two set screws. The current ones have rusted hardware that prevents me from making adjustments.

I found replacement metal saddles from China, marketed for the telecaster, that are the correct width, and are cheap. They are a slight bit shorter than the originals, but I assume I could just loosen the mounting screws (which moves the saddles toward the nut) to compensate for this. Apart from the saddles being a bit shorter, the mounting screws that hold them onto the bridge plate are also thinner than the current hardware. So overall, I think these replacements would fit, but might be a bit scrawnier / flimsier.

Since we're talking about steel / metal screws and saddles, I'm not sure the differences are a big deal. But I don't know. Is there a school of thought that you should buy quality saddles or risk tonal problems?

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
When I replaced hardware on any of my guitars, I heard a difference. How much of a difference and how much of that difference is related to my having spent money on it is up for debate though, like so many other tonal minutiae.

I'd be more concerned about crappier metals and machining making the saddles prone to burrs and string snapping, or intonation screws stripping than I would about the general effect on tone.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If you are referring to the traditional "three barrel" Telecaster bridge saddles, then yes; they do affect the tone. Changing them from brass to, say, steel or some sort of polymer will certainly change the tone of the guitar. The size, composition and density of the bridge saddles - as well as of the mounting screws - are all going to have at least some effect on the string vibration, which is going to translate into differences in tone.

I would skip the aftermarket cheap stuff; particularly if the dimensions are non-standard. Traditional Telecaster bridges are a finicky thing to begin with; tuning problems along the neck being common. Don't cut corners on such an important part of your guitar. It is not worth it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
If you are referring to the traditional "three barrel" Telecaster bridge saddles, then yes; they do affect the tone. Changing them from brass to, say, steel or some sort of polymer will certainly change the tone of the guitar. The size, composition and density of the bridge saddles - as well as of the mounting screws - are all going to have at least some effect on the string vibration, which is going to translate into differences in tone.

I would skip the aftermarket cheap stuff; particularly if the dimensions are non-standard. Traditional Telecaster bridges are a finicky thing to begin with; tuning problems along the neck being common. Don't cut corners on such an important part of your guitar. It is not worth it.

+1 to this as well.

Unless you're going for actual vintage parts, most of the time you get more or less what you pay for when it comes to hardware.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'd get a new bridge.I put a vintage style Wilkinson one on my MIJ to replace the old rusted one(which i kept) and its fine.It's probably gonna work out easier in the long run to just get a decent bridge.
I found that pressed steel saddles improved the tone of my strats over the cheap alloy ones they came with, but I don't believe that price or country of origin would have made the slightest difference. - One set were Fender stamped, the other no-name; I got them both cheap from my repairer mate's recycled parts box.

I would apply the same logic to a six-saddle tele. On a three-saddle type, I would make sure I got a set that was properly intonated for a plain 3rd string.