I have a Laney VC30 112 which is a 30 watt tube amp. I am thinking of replacing the celestion seventy 80 with a celstion G12H 30 watt speaker. People on the internet are saying that a speaker must have double the wattage than the amp itself. Is that true? Thanks.
Quote by Chris88492
I have a Laney VC30 112 which is a 30 watt tube amp. I am thinking of replacing the celestion seventy 80 with a celstion G12H 30 watt speaker. People on the internet are saying that a speaker must have double the wattage than the amp itself. Is that true? Thanks.

You should be fine but I would not crank the amp by any means with that speaker.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes. -Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Chris88492

I would use it with confidence but I don't play heavily saturated thrash metal with screaming feedback. So the real answer is: It depends on the player.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY