Ok guys so here's the idea, I'm trying to teach a friend some music theory, and he's asking me why modes are such a big deal, I answered that each has it's own specific mood but that got me thinking: what mood or feeling is invoked by each mode, and how can this be used to a songwriter's advantage to invoke said emotion using both lyrics and chordal structure? this is where you com in, and I'll try my best with what I already know

Ionian: Perfect, Serene, Relieved
Dorian: Mellow, Relaxed, Sleepy
Phrygian: Primal, Inspiriation, Conflict Invoking
Lydian: Optimistic, Innovative, Futuristic
Mixolydian: Bluesy, Homey, Reminiscent
Aeolian: Somber, Depressed, Hollow
Locrian: Frantic, Urgent, Worried

if anybody can explain these further I would be very grateful!!!
That's not really how it works though. Maybe you would be better off not teaching your friend modes.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I can explain further.

Modes in themselves don't create moods.

Cheers
Alan
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Ionian: hard to articulate how I feel about this one, it feels 'architectural' or like a building block, if that makes sense
Dorian: Cunning, dark, eluding death as it were
Phrygian: Greek or vaguely Mesopotanian
Lydian: bold, flirtatious, almost like something you'd get from a Jane Austen novel
Mixolydian: about half as bold and flirtatious as Lydian
Aeolian: kind of atmospheric, or 'breezy' or 'windy' if that makes sense
Locrian: similar to Phrygian in that it also seems kind of Greek

there you go, hopefully it helps
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Pretty good, but you forgot to mention that "locrian" is an adjective derived from "locust".
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Try the sticky titled "modes: before you ask".

Have a look at the link to Darren's discussion on modes. He discusses some of the modal "moods".

Thread closed./
Si