High all! Decided I'm going to change the speakers in my Jet City 20 Watt and my Randall Diavlo RD50. Wondering what speakers I should go for? I mainly play Black Metal, Thrash, and Doom.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
I just got new speakers from Warehouse Guitar Speakers. Their site will help you figure out which speakers will work best for you. They are made in the U.S. and you will like the prices.
I can't recommend the Eminence Governors enough. They are like V30s, only more awesome (for lack of a better term). They aren't quite as harsh and seem to have more in the lower mids, but still plenty of upper mids. I play black metal, thrash, and death metal and they really cover those genres very well. Occasionally Eminence sells OEM Governors (and other speakers) on Ebay for around $70. They don't always have the same aesthetics as the production models but they are identical otherwise. I bought one last year and it sounds exactly the same as my other one that has the "official" red paint on the basket.

You may also want to consider Celestion G12T-75s. Those were kind of the standard for thrash years ago.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Are you looking for two separate sets of speakers? One for the jet city combo and then some (how many?) for the randall? I'm probably missing something in your post (in my defence, I'm ill ) but I couldn't tell for sure what you wanted.

Quote by rickyvanh
I just got new speakers from Warehouse Guitar Speakers. Their site will help you figure out which speakers will work best for you. They are made in the U.S. and you will like the prices.

they say "assembled in the USA" on them, rather than "made". that makes me a bit suspicious.

Doesn't mean they're bad (most celestions are made in china and are still good, at least the "good" ones), but just worth pointing out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
v30's for both if ya ask me, celestion's or WGS's.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Are you looking for two separate sets of speakers? One for the jet city combo and then some (how many?) for the randall? I'm probably missing something in your post (in my defence, I'm ill ) but I couldn't tell for sure what you wanted.

they say "assembled in the USA" on them, rather than "made". that makes me a bit suspicious.

Doesn't mean they're bad (most celestions are made in china and are still good, at least the "good" ones), but just worth pointing out.

Yes. A speaker for the Jet City and a speaker for the Randall. I'd like the Jet City to sound a little less thin, and I'd like the Randall to have a little more mids.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
K100 for the randall.

not a fan of JCA here but look at an eminence V12, IIRC that is soldano's 'signature' speaker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use V30s with my JCA50 and it sounds awesome. Cuts like a knife. I don't find V30s to be as harsh as others though.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by AsOneIStand

yes, thats the K100. more bottom is bigger and not as much of a mid hump, but you will have no problem cutting through. i have around a dozen, in different cabs. but i do have some with V30's, and T75's and a few others.

i use them with splawn nitro and my mesa tremoverb. then i have a few cabs with them and two other speakers in an X pattern.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I haven't tried your specific jet city, but i like the eminence v12 (as trashed said) with my 50 watt jet city head.

I haven't tried the randall but I'm guessing a v30 would be worth a try for more mids.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A have a Strat with HB B std tuned and a Randall RD40C.

Was looking for a speaker that could compensate the mids and highs of the Fender, that sometimes is really annoying. The engineer of eminence that answered my e-mail agreed that the Swamp Thang could do that just nice.

Maybe the Eminence Swamp Thang could be a nice choice. Sounds very smooth and was my 1st choice, but that speaker went out of stock when i tried do buy.

Bought an Eminence Governor instead and will install it when the Randall´s warrant is gone.
Quote by rovaris
A have a Strat with HB B std tuned and a Randall RD40C.

Was looking for a speaker that could compensate the mids and highs of the Fender, that sometimes is really annoying. The engineer of eminence that answered my e-mail agreed that the Swamp Thang could do that just nice.

Maybe the Eminence Swamp Thang could be a nice choice. Sounds very smooth and was my 1st choice, but that speaker went out of stock when i tried do buy.

Bought an Eminence Governor instead and will install it when the Randall´s warrant is gone.

This thread is from last year, pretty sure TS has decided by now.

If you need help, please start your own thread

changing a speaker will not void a warranty and neither will changing tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Now that i saw the post date. Sorry about that.

About the warrant, here in Brazil it´s something like that: "just open the back of your amp and the warrant is gone". It sucks, but it´s true.
Quote by rovaris
Now that i saw the post date. Sorry about that.

About the warrant, here in Brazil it´s something like that: "just open the back of your amp and the warrant is gone". It sucks, but it´s true.

no that can't be correct, because tubes are part of routine maintenance, like an oil change for a car
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
no that can't be correct, because tubes are part of routine maintenance, like an oil change for a car

In Brazil, the Consumer Protection Code of 1990 (Law 8078) give specific legal rights to the consumer, as required in the 1988 Brazilian Constitution. These generally accrue to the consumer, and warranty protection is specifically detailed.

However...enforcement is spotty at best, so while on paper it's an excellent system, in reality it falls short.

It's unlikely that a vendor would reject a warranty claim for what you rightly call routine maintenance, but it's not unheard of, and if it does happen it's not a simple process to exercise one's rights like it is here.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
In Brazil, the Consumer Protection Code of 1990 (Law 8078) give specific legal rights to the consumer, as required in the 1988 Brazilian Constitution. These generally accrue to the consumer, and warranty protection is specifically detailed.

However...enforcement is spotty at best, so while on paper it's an excellent system, in reality it falls short.

It's unlikely that a vendor would reject a warranty claim for what you rightly call routine maintenance, but it's not unheard of, and if it does happen it's not a simple process to exercise one's rights like it is here.

Arby, do you know something about EVERYTHING?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Arby, do you know something about EVERYTHING?

Well, the things I don't know shit about VASTLY outnumber the things I do know something about, but I've done a lot of business in Brazil.

Also, I like learning and hope I never stop so I read a lot and because of a great man who taught me at a very early age and a certain aptitude for it, I read very quickly and retain reasonably well.

My wife teases me that I'm a veritable fount of useless information...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 7, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Well, the things I don't know shit about VASTLY outnumber the things I do know something about, but I've done a lot of business in Brazil.

Also, I like learning and hope I never stop so I read a lot and because of a great man who taught me at a very early age and a certain aptitude for it, I read very quickly and retain reasonably well.

My wife teases me that I'm a veritable fount of useless information...

But useless information is often the most interesting! Without meaning to insult in any way, you remind me of my grandfather in that way (consider this the best of compliments, I respect him a ton). He also reads and retains very quickly. I am pretty quick, but definitely not like him.

In any case, thanks for this little tidbit!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.