Yeah, i'm interested in what you guys can't do without.
What is your view on effect pedals? Yay or Nay?

For me the essentials, that are almost always turned on are: Reverb, Phaser and Overdrive.

Those include: DigiTech DigiVerb, EHX Small Stone Nano, EHX Soul Food and Polytune-2.
Last edited by Rensa at Dec 25, 2014,
All my pedals are essential at different times, I wouldn't have them on my board if I didn't require them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
All my pedals are essential at different times, I wouldn't have them on my board if I didn't require them.

Pretty much the same as this guy.
However to play along, I'd say my Boss TU-2 and my Nobels ODR-S. I would also say a reverb, but that's built into my amp.
A tuner.
Or a TS-type od or delay.
Gibson Explorer "Golden Axe"
Gibson Explorer
Greco Les Paul Custom.

Pedals.

Tommy Folkesson MK VI modded Marshall 1959 '80
Marshall JMP 2204 '79
Marshal JCM 2000 DSL100 white

Cabs.
Quote by WhineX
A tuner.
Or a TS-type od or delay.

Isn't really an effect, is it?

Frankly, I just use the pedals I have for dicking around. More often than not, I'm just guitar - polytune - amp.

And the polytune is mostly there so that I can swap guitars without much noise.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Isn't really an effect, is it?

Frankly, I just use the pedals I have for dicking around. More often than not, I'm just guitar - polytune - amp.

And the polytune is mostly there so that I can swap guitars without much noise.

+1

My Polytune is always there and useful, but not really an effect.

Besides that, all my pedals come and go off my pedalboard. I really like listening to the way my amps sound without anything in the chain messing it up.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
My chorus is an "always-on" effect. Clean or distorted, it's been a part of my sound for years. I'd be hard pressed to say I couldn't do without, but I'd be missing something for sure.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
My Small Stone phaser is almost always used in some way or another. I also use delay quite a lot.
I mostly play metal so I don't really need a lot of "effects" but when I play clean it is very ambient and I rely on my TC Electronic Flashback and Hall of Fame (delay and reverb) pedals. They both have slight modulation settings so I can get a touch of chorus as well (any more than a touch of chorus is too much, IMO).

As for metal tone -- I can't get MY tone without my MXR 10-band EQ and M77 overdrive pedals.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Tuner (any, I use the Pitchblack +), MIJ Boss CE-2 Chorus, Teese RMC Wah, any TS/SD-1 boost (I use a white knob Fulltone FD2), MXR '74 script Phase 90.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by GaryBillington

best way to put it. I don't have a big board and it's well thought out in terms of what is truly needed. for the record wha, overdrive, delay and phaser. I do have a separate setup for Hendrix type stuff wha, fuzz and either a phaser or a chorus (want a univibe style pedal but don't have one yet).
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
my wah-wah

RMC4
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
OD and clean boost delay most of the time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Funk Monk
RMC4

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm pretty purist I guess, I don't use any effects usually, just put the jack into the JVM and off I go. I do like my delay pedal (Vox Time Machine), but I don't use it often.
MXR 10 band. loved it within the first 15 seconds.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Some type of boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Although I tend to go guitar>polytune>HD500>amp most of the time now so I kinda have all the pedals, the ones that I would miss the most are:
Some kind of TS I just use it to tighten up any amp (drive 0, gain 6, tone 6),
A 300ms delay (I prefer tape/simu-tape),
And a 400/500ms delay (a lot of my songs have very rhythmic delay stuff in them).

Other than that, it's just tuner and amp.
Stereo Chorus!
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Clean boost must have for livining up solo's.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Boss TU-3 > Decimator Suppressor > Ibanez TS . MXR Carbon is always in my loop for the solo channel. Been my setup for awhile.
BBE Sonic Stomp. It is turned on at the begining of a gig and off when I pack it up at the end of the night. It's the only effect I use 100% of the time.
Quote by Rickholly74
BBE Sonic Stomp. It is turned on at the begining of a gig and off when I pack it up at the end of the night. It's the only effect I use 100% of the time.

Cool Pedal, When I had one I actually preferred it over the Rack model.
Quote by Guerrilla235
Cool Pedal, When I had one I actually preferred it over the Rack model.

I had the rack model for a synth setup.

Is the pedal good for guitar?
As has been mentioned by others, everything more or less has its time and place.

My "always on"s are my MXR 10 band and Boss DD20 - although I use it as a subtle chorus running it with a single repeat on 7ms. Stuff just sounds bigger without getting too much of that aireyness that I seem to get from actual chorus pedals.

My HM would be my Full Drive 2.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
To answer the above about the BBE Sonic Stomp. I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer in a larger PA rack that I no longer use much. I ran my Mackie PA mixer through one side of the stereo BBE (I don't mix in stereo on my PA) and my guitar through the other channnel. I used it and loved it for years. When I downsized the PA and went from a rack system and two bulky QSC power amps to a stand alone mixing board and active Mackie speakers I lost the use of the BBE. I really missed it. About four years ago I saw the BBE Sonic Stomp and got one.I agree with Guerrilla that I think the Sonic Stomp pedal is better and even more transparent than the rack unit. If it got lost or stolen I would buy one again immediately. I put both knobs at 1:00 turn it on at the start of gig and as I, said I never turn it off.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 26, 2014,
Delay without doubt. Reverb is #2, but I can usually replace it with delay to a certain extent.

And well, distortion obviously, if that's not automatically assumed, with a clean channel option.