Hey everyone. Sorry I've not posted here for a while. I've been reading a lot of posts and stuff - I just haven't felt I had much to add.

Lately I've felt (more than usual) that one of my biggest weakness is building the cool solo parts for the verse &/or chorus bits of songs I write. Therefore while the songs I build are IMO quite nice...they tend to be strum heavy.

I want to have solo'ing sort of stuff that Daughtry, Noel Gallagher, Dashboard Confessional, Coldplay and stuff have in their tunes.

I've got no real desire to be like SRV or Satriani. I just want to be the best me I can be. I'm all over the major, minor and pentatonic scales. I just suck at making the lead / picking parts of my songs intetesting - or even worth using.

Comments, feedback and stuff is welcome
If you're stuck for ideas, then try looking in detail at a couple of songs that contain the effect you're after. Work out each guitar part, properly. Then think how that might apply to your tunes.

Mostly, you'll find that the parts aren't busy while the vocal is going on. You'll also find that the way the overall mix is laid out has a huge impact (panning, eq, use of reverb(s) and echo; all to carve their own space out).

cheers, Jerry
Off the top of my head:

Noel Gallagher - usually does "call and response". So vocals say a line, guitar takes a turn, vocals say a line, guitar takes a turn etc

Coldplay - usually plays the vocal line. Obvious example being God Put a Smile Upon my Face. Otherwise plays really simple lines following the chord structure.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud