Hi all, I am currently recording a lot of my demos, trying to get them sounding nice!

just want some advice on my recordings, I am no professional producer I just use my little home studio to record my songs. I only have one demo up at the moment but will be uploading more in the future, I know the timing isn't perfect but without a real drum kit I struggle to record drums in good timing.

I've also attempted to add some lead to this track called ''Fires of Hell''. I am by no means a lead guitarist but would like some advice on my lead part as I don't know if its too much for the track or if it sits right?

I started recording with Reason but am now using Ableton live 9.

https://soundcloud.com/temptedyouth/fires-of-hell
Lead is fine, might be a little hot - could stand to be buried a tiny bit. It's repetitive, but I think that works in this song. Might be neat if it moved in a different direction once or twice maybe around the bridge section or later choruses, but that's a matter of taste.

The (only) thing that really bothers me is your fast drum beat sections, that beat is a bit too fast and poppy for what's happening, nothing else synchs up with it and it's not really necessary. Maybe tone that down a little bit?

Otherwise, I'm not picking up on your 'timing isn't perfect' comment - everything sounds fine. Besides, if something is off with midi drums, you can just push them around on the piano roll.

Keep it up!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Hi mate, thanks for the advice, yeah I know what you mean about the poppy sounding drums I tried taming it down in the mix but struggled to do so. fast drum beat section... do you mean the chorus drums? I tried keeping it nice and slow but I didn't feel it helped the song reach that high place where a chorus takes you I might just try 8th notes as its quarter notes at the moment and see how that sounds

Thank you
Quote by Sid McCall
Lead is fine, might be a little hot - could stand to be buried a tiny bit. It's repetitive, but I think that works in this song. Might be neat if it moved in a different direction once or twice maybe around the bridge section or later choruses, but that's a matter of taste.

The (only) thing that really bothers me is your fast drum beat sections, that beat is a bit too fast and poppy for what's happening, nothing else synchs up with it and it's not really necessary. Maybe tone that down a little bit?

Otherwise, I'm not picking up on your 'timing isn't perfect' comment - everything sounds fine. Besides, if something is off with midi drums, you can just push them around on the piano roll.

Keep it up!

I agree with this dude in that it might be a bit repetitive. Another way of dealing with that would be to not have the lead happening the entire song. There can be a verse or something without it.
Demo sounds good and represents your talents well. Run with it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Demo sounds good and represents your talents well. Run with it.

Thanks man, appreciate your comment!
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Nice, the chorus has a bit more drive to it now.

Thanks man, I totally agree with you so thanks for the suggestion