So yea, I got myself a Christmas present. And being a guy that likes gear and stuff the choice was pretty easy.

For some time I`ve been looking for a guitar that has more of the classic feel to it, rather than my super br00tal Ibanezes.
I was looking for a tele-shaped guitar or something in that fashion. But the thing is, for some time ago I borrowed my old girlfriends dad`s guitar which was an old Vantage VS600.
I completely fell in love with that guitar. It had the beautiful centerpiece of wood, had some great pickups that were splittable and also it felt just so basic.

He said that I could keep it for as long as I wanted but well, some relationships don`t last forever so I had to give it back to her dad.

So yea, I entered the store and saw this guitar, the EKO M24, and what caught my eye was the body shape, the color and how similar it looked to the Vantage I previously had borrowed.

I took it off the rack and plugged it in and just sat there fiddling with it for probably 40 minutes.
And bear in mind that I hate playing in stores and in front of people I don`t really know.
I just forgot about the fear and kept playing.
I checked the pricetag and it said 2800kr, that would be 362$.
...And money was spent.

I mean like, for all the stuff you get, the looks and the tonal options, you can`t go wrong with that.

Apparently EKO is an Italian company that was heavily involved in the prog-movement in the 70`s.
Could someone fill me in on the history and such?

Here`s the guitar at the website:
http://www.ekoguitars.it/en/prod/4988/M-24-Vintage-Natural

Just ask away and I`ll try to answer your queries!

So here are some pictures of my new love. The pictures may be big but I`ve put them into spoiler boxes.

Dissonance is underrated.
Nice catch, we don't see many of these guitars here! I suspect it was inspired by Santana's Yamaha SG2000.

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Beautiful!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yea it looks like the Yamaha! And perhaps they got some inspiration from it.
Beautiful isn't it!
What surprises me the most is how easy it plays!
I mean, it isn't even set up properly and the like guides your finger to where they should be placed
Oh I'm so gonna spend some time with it this holiday!
very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Great looking guitar I like those late 70's style neck through.
Last edited by Zhaezzy at Dec 22, 2014,
Thanks! I`m so gonna go all Boston with this
Has anyone had any experiences with this brand, Eko, or any stories for that matter?
It seems like it has gotten renewed and stuff. They also were the biggest maker of guitars somewhere back in time in Europe!
In the sixties they formed a partnership with Vox and Thomas, however the founder of Eko died shortly after and Eko started to decline, due to the rising labour costs, the pressure from Asian manufacturers and the shrinking guitar market.

more informations here: http://www.fetishguitars.com/eko-map-site/

Here is the 1982 Eko catalog, on page 16 there's the M24, apparently the original specs were even closer to the Yamaha sg2000, with the massif brass hardware and the laminated neck made of mahogany and maple: 1982 catalog

Btw, I've read that they originally placed that inlay on the body because they had too many headstock inlays of Vox guitars, and they had to use them somehow

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Quote by billyTheShears
In the sixties they formed a partnership with Vox and Thomas, however the founder of Eko died shortly after and Eko started to decline, due to the rising labour costs, the pressure from Asian manufacturers and the shrinking guitar market.

more informations here: http://www.fetishguitars.com/eko-map-site/

Here is the 1982 Eko catalog, on page 16 there's the M24, apparently the original specs were even closer to the Yamaha sg2000, with the massif brass hardware and the laminated neck made of mahogany and maple: 1982 catalog

Btw, I've read that they originally placed that inlay on the body because they had too many headstock inlays of Vox guitars, and they had to use them somehow

Wow, that`s so cool! It`s a shame that most articles about the guitars are in Italian
But seriously, the M20 in the The final years: M 20/24 section in which a picture of the M20 is shown, is seriously crazy hot!

Well, you gotta use what you got and it ended up pretty well!
I am definitely going to keep my eyes open for more Eko guitars!

Well, if any mod reads this and wants to close the thread, go ahead! Unless someone wants to add something.
Hi!

I have eko m-24 from year 1981. I changed my Gibson SG '61 RI '05 to it, which were, as said, "one trick pony". I paid my SG about 1100euros, and Eko was asked for around 600euros in Finland. At transfer, i got 300euros and Eko, so it cost me about 700...Well, after year playing i changed frets and at same time, changed the bridge pups mini switch (coils split) to EMG PA 2 pick up booster. Whole job cost about 500euros. Well, now as a quite poor guy this guitar offers me everything i can hope for. I got earlier: Greco Les Paul '74, Hondo strat, Gibson '61 RI SG, Tokai AST-50g stratocaster, but i think this eko beats em all. It got really, really fat tone. By played unplugged it dont sound loud as Les Paul nor Strat. Played trough amp, clean sounds are clear, jazzy fat, but neck pups miniswitch does change the sound clearer and sparkling, more to the way of strat. What comes to Dirty sounds, it really inspires to playing stoner rock=black sabbath-Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. Well i got to go now, but i would really recommend the original Eko m-24 (dont really think same about the Ri's) bc old ekos was made from old woods at start.