Hey guys (and sorry for my poor English),
I'm thinking of buying a tube combo for home practice. The problem is that my neighbours are dildos so it shouldn't be very powerfull, 10-15 watts, i think. Such amps are not the most common thing in the world and i haven't found any tube ones with such output power where i live and I guess I'll have to order one without being able to listen to it. So I need your help )
My guitar is Schecter Hellraiser and as you can guess I'm playing lots of metal. However, I also do some blues and modern rock. So there are 2 main requirments for the combo: it should sound really good with distortion and it shouldn't totally suck at cleans (build-in distortion doesn't have to be good, I have some pedals). As for the budget, I don't think there is any particular limit, but the cheaper the combo is - the better it is for me
I'm thinking of Egnater Tweaker 112. Have anyone used it? Any other recommendations?
Amps have volume controls, and a smaller amp won't sound better than a bigger amp at lower volumes because it's smaller.
It may well sound better, but if it sounds better quiet it'll also sound better loud.

So in short there's no point in wanting a low power guitar amp in your situation.

You gotta be more specific with your question - what tones do you wanna get exactly?
Give bands/songs as examples, "metal/blues/rock" could mean anything.

I'd blindly throw in a high gain 50w Jet City suggestion.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I'd blindly throw in a high gain 50w Jet City suggestion.

I'll +1 to this.

I have the 20w version, it's quiet enough for home use, loud enough for pub gigs, but doesn't really do cleans - the 50w version will have more headroom for them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have the 20 watt Jet City too and it really is great. I'd also recommend the new Peavey Valveking micro head, it has loads of 'bells and whistles' and sounds really good. Maybe a Blackstar HT5 (normal or Metal).

Give us more info and we can help you more :-)
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
How about a Randall Diavlo 5 watt with some sort of eq?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
My vote is for a POD + a power amp and cab, or POD + headphones. Does that seem like an option for you? Perfect for low volume tone and for cranking it through a PA at a gig.
Some amps sound like crap at low volume. It depends on the speaker's characteristics, the transformer, etc. And getting a low wattage amp can, in fact, be better for low volume. If it's a tube amp it means you can boost the power-amp stage into clipping at a lower volume and reap the tonal glory.

I'd recommend either getting a 1-5 watt tube amp or something with an optional headphone jack with speaker emulation like the Traynor YSC100H1 I used to have. Or a POD of some sort.
what ever the **** you want. volume knobs are on amps for a reason. there are some amps that don't sound great quiet, but with all i have had, only the splawns cant do low volume. my fryette, tremoverb, MKIV and several other amps do it great.

the odds are you don't want power tube distortion.

pesonally i wouldn't waste my time on a little gimmick 5 watter. 5 watts is have as loud as 50 watts

go for what you want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
5 watt amps can be pretty decent and better than other bigger ones, if you can find them where you are I'd recommend a blackstar either the little 1 watt one or something like the HT5R.
Quote by Twidler
5 watt amps can be pretty decent and better than other bigger ones, if you can find them where you are I'd recommend a blackstar either the little 1 watt one or something like the HT5R.

yea they can. i am about done with a 5f1 build. that will kill it for the power tubes and get that sweet champ tone.

those blackstar little amps are shit. you might not know right away but down the road you will see the negatives. they are hybrid (not that its always bad). but really you will regret it.

also if you are playing you probably want decent cleans. 1 watt will not give you any headroom. if you turn it up your just going to get powertube distortion that you would likely not want that for modern tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by diabolical
Look at Orange Dual terror, Tiny terror or Dark terror, depending on how much gain vs clean and crunch you need.
Laney Vc15 is also very good choice.

i love my dual terror. 30, 15, and 7 watts adjustable tiny terror and the fat channel. it has no cleans pretty much.would handle enough for a small bar unmic'd. (i use two cabs if i am the only guitarist, one on each side. but mic'd its great.

the price of the dual is worth it over the tiny terror.

it is also (unlike a few others) it is 100% ALL TUBE. no solid starte trickery or bullshit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Unlike some of the bigger Oranges, these are not silly $$$ prices. Not cheap but worth the buy imo. I have the TT combo and at volume just about on level with my monitors it records great for pretty much any style. Maybe a little dirty for sparkly clean but I like a little character anyway. With proper overdrive it handles pretty much any styles, and takes all kinds of pedals well.
Quote by Spambot_2
Amps have volume controls

Most big amps I've tried sound loud as hell even at lower volumes. And I don't like using headphones.
Quote by Spambot_2
what tones do you wanna get exactly

I want heavy modern metal sound. Something in the vein of later albums by Nevermore, Machine Head, Exodus. I don't have any special preferences about cleans, they just shouldn't suck )

Well, thanks for you recommendations, guys. I'm going to look into these amps.
Quote by Lord Samael
Most big amps I've tried sound loud as hell even at lower volumes.
Then you simply gotta practice using volume controls.

Seriously, turn down the volume enough and everything sounds quiet enough.
Quote by Lord Samael
I want heavy modern metal sound. Something in the vein of later albums by Nevermore, Machine Head, Exodus. I don't have any special preferences about cleans, they just shouldn't suck )
Yeah I'd get a 6505+ with a decent cab.
Or the combo and a v30, celestion or a copy.

If you really are this concerned about volume also get an EQ with input and output gain controls to put in the fx loop, it's particularly effective with 6505's.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^I disagree. There are some amps out there that are just not "quiet enough", or at the settings where they are "quiet enough", they sound feeble and thin. I definitely think there is some benefit to getting a lower powered amp, especially when you're talking about playing at gigging volumes. You can really open up 20-30 watt amp on stage without an attenuator and make them sound their best, whereas you simply cannot do that with something like a 6505.
Am I the only one who thinks a tube amp for home jamming is a waste?

I've owned and played 20-30 watt tube amps before and they were never quiet enough for home, ever. And if I did use the volume knob and run it low, it sounded like complete shite. As for the lower watt amps, like 5 tube watts, good luck getting a nice clean.

Get a decent solid state amp.
Quote by BUZZARD__
Am I the only one who thinks a tube amp for home jamming is a waste?

I've owned and played 20-30 watt tube amps before and they were never quiet enough for home, ever. And if I did use the volume knob and run it low, it sounded like complete shite. As for the lower watt amps, like 5 tube watts, good luck getting a nice clean.

Get a decent solid state amp.

Maybe you're not the only one, but it's only an opinion. I use a 20w tube amp in my apartment, at all hours of the day and night, just fine. I own a solid state amp and I've tried using headphones, but I've been spoiled by the responsiveness and tone of a good tube amp, even at tv volume. It's not quite as good as when its cranked, but it still beats other options, imo. Perhaps a 100w full stack is overkill, but a good 20w 1x12 works great everywhere.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Maybe you're not the only one, but it's only an opinion. I use a 20w tube amp in my apartment, at all hours of the day and night, just fine. I own a solid state amp and I've tried using headphones, but I've been spoiled by the responsiveness and tone of a good tube amp, even at tv volume. It's not quite as good as when its cranked, but it still beats other options, imo. Perhaps a 100w full stack is overkill, but a good 20w 1x12 works great everywhere.

and opinions are what we have

All tube amps are different, and I haven't even played 1% of them, so all I have to go on is what I've had. Being informed by that, 20 tube watts would either get me kicked out of my apartment or sound so dull at low volumes that it wouldn't be fun. I should also say I'm not a shredder, and I don't play soft. I like the full stack balls to the wall sound. For my purposes, it's more fun doing that with a solid state amp.

A 5w amp would be great, but every one of em I've tried sound thin.

Cheers.
Quote by al112987
^I disagree. There are some amps out there that are just not "quiet enough", or at the settings where they are "quiet enough", they sound feeble and thin. I definitely think there is some benefit to getting a lower powered amp, especially when you're talking about playing at gigging volumes. You can really open up 20-30 watt amp on stage without an attenuator and make them sound their best, whereas you simply cannot do that with something like a 6505.

I think it depends on the types of tones you want. That 6505 turned up as loud as those 20-30 watt amps will sound better (most likely) for heavier tones than that 20-30 watt amp if it's well into power tube distortion, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by diabolical
The Orange goes down to 7 watts which is as loud as my monitors when mixing.

You might want to look at Mesa Express 5:50 or 5:25, which goes down to 5 watts but can dish out more.

I second this. I currently own a Mesa 5:25 Express Plus head and a Lopoline 2x12 cab with 2 WGS V-30 clones. It sounds fantastic at all wattage settings. I usually keep it a 5 watts because I can get that gritty newer ZZ Top sound sooner than at the higher settings. It will do metal very well on the Burn channel.
Check one out if you can.

Cheers.

Quote by JGM258
My vote is for a POD + a power amp and cab, or POD + headphones. Does that seem like an option for you? Perfect for low volume tone and for cranking it through a PA at a gig.

+1. This is what I would do if I had to start over. POD into some active monitors works well too.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .