I want to buy an effect for my electric guitar (godin detour) but I don't know what kind of effect I need. I preferably want to play black metal, post-black metal, death metal and folk/viking metal. Especially black metal and post-black metal. At the moment I have 2 distortion pedals. Both from Boss. I was thinking about a Delay, Chorus or Flanger but I really don't know what to get. So has anyone overhere suggestions or tips? Please tell me what kind of effect I need.

Ps: excuse me for my bad English. I hope you understand what I mean in the message.
I'm assuming you're happy with your distortion sounds?

If so, you might want something to juice-up your cleans, if you ever use them (I'll assume you do if you play post-black metal, and even traditional black metal for that matter).

As a minimum, I'd go for a reverb pedal like the TC Electronic Hall of Fame, just because it's so versatile. On some of the settings, it's got a slight chorus effect which really increases the spaciousness of your ambient sounds.

It's either that or a delay pedal. I have both the Hall of Fame reverb and Flashback delay, and together, they are all the effects I need. I haven't felt the need for a dedicated chorus pedal and especially not a flanger pedal -- as using too much of those effects doesn't sound right to me for black metal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
delay for sure. flanger can be a good thing for metal so I'd try one if you can. you may want to get a multi-fx unit and try out ther various fx to see what works for you and then get dedicated pedals later.
Depends.
What effect do you wanna get?

Give song examples for added clarity.

Not knowing any of that, I'd get a reverb.
Or a quadraverb 2...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thank you for the responses. And Spambot_2 I want for example the effect which Agrypnie use on the cool down in "Der Tote Trakt".
I have another question: what do you guys think of the Behringer DR600. Or can I better take another brand like boss for example
Does anyone of you know a reverb pedal which between 0 and 100 euro's? I want a reasonably prised pedal but I don't know a pedal with good quallity. I thought about Boss but they are expensive. I know the quallity of Boss. Does anyone have a tip for a good pedal for Post-black metal and Black metal?
Quote by metalholic2000
I have another question: what do you guys think of the Behringer DR600. Or can I better take another brand like boss for example

behringer tends to be a bit on the subpar side. not very durable. look at Joyo for affordable effects.
^ nah it's meh at best (even at the ~£30 I paid for it).

The diitech/hardwire one is pretty good. I don't play black metal, though.

I thought (but could be wrong) that a lot of those black metal bands used boss hm2s. they've been discontinued for ages but you can pick them up used. Or I think behringer (which I haven't tried) does a cheapo copy.

http://thetoneking.com/wp/behringer-stomp-box-cross-comparison-chart/

hm300, according to that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ nah it's meh at best (even at the ~£30 I paid for it).

The diitech/hardwire one is pretty good. I don't play black metal, though.

I thought (but could be wrong) that a lot of those black metal bands used boss hm2s. they've been discontinued for ages but you can pick them up used. Or I think behringer (which I haven't tried) does a cheapo copy.

http://thetoneking.com/wp/behringer-stomp-box-cross-comparison-chart/

hm300, according to that

Ah. Good to know.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
^

Don't get me wrong, it's alright-ish. Considering I paid £30. And considering how teeny it is, if you're trying to maximise space on the pedalboard. But for not a lot more (about £15 on Thomann- at least last time I checked, it's currently out of stock ) the Hardwire one is a lot better if space isn't the main concern. I haven't tried the regular digitech digiverb, but if my digidelay is anything to go by I'd imagine it's a fair bit better than the Mooer too, for actually less money (on Thomann, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HM-2 isn't quite right for black metal. Death metal, hell yes. It's too thick and bassy for BM though. Just the wrong kind of chainsaw tone, if you will. Not that there are any rules or anything. But I own one and rarely turn it on for BM riffs. Great for nailing Entombed/early Bloodbath/At The Gates though!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Dec 22, 2014,
ah ok, thanks. as i said, i'm not too well up on it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, so you have 2 distortion pedals. Which ones?

Also as KailM said a delay and reverb will always be useful.

Along with the TC Electronic stuff the hardware reverb and delay pedals are really good. Go used and get them for cheap. They are built like the boss pedals, like a tank! Maybe look at the TC T-2 Or the hardwire supernatural for the proper ambient reverbs.

I would also recommend a chorus or flanger for the cleans. Just adds a bit more depth and space to your sound. Great for the ambient post-genre sound.

Also what amp are you using? This will help with our recommendations.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
Ok, so you have 2 distortion pedals. Which ones?

Also as KailM said a delay and reverb will always be useful.

Along with the TC Electronic stuff the hardware reverb and delay pedals are really good. Go used and get them for cheap. They are built like the boss pedals, like a tank! Maybe look at the TC T-2 Or the hardwire supernatural for the proper ambient reverbs.

I would also recommend a chorus or flanger for the cleans. Just adds a bit more depth and space to your sound. Great for the ambient post-genre sound.

Also what amp are you using? This will help with our recommendations.

I am using a Marshall MG 15 DFX amplifier. My pedals are a Boss ds-1 (for the rock part I play) and the Boss MT-2 (for the metal part I play). (The MT-2 I get for free from someone )

My guitars are the Godin Detour in fireman red and a B.C. Rich speed V Flame top in natural wood colour.
ok...

1. New amp before you get anything else.
2. those two pedals kinda suck.

3. Sell the amp and pedals and get yourself a peavey vypyr

Honestly it will do everything you want and more.

The MG series of amps are widely regarded as some of the worst amps ever made. Poor quality control, horrible tone etc etc....
The DS-1 can be a useful pedal if modded and used with a decent amp.
The MT-2 is just a horrible fizzy mess of a pedal. Just too much gain everywhere and an over exuberant top end. Not nice.

I have owned all 3 or variations of (MG30 rather than the 15) and used them together. Really not a good combination.

The Peavey Vypyr will model anything from low gain up so your searing metal lead tones and has some built in effects to play around with as well. They are highly regarded round here and you cant really go wrong with them. Also they are the best budget modeller for high gain tones around.

I would obviously recommend the tube 60 version but that might be a bit out of your budget, look at th 30w combo as it will be loud enough for your bedroom and the slightly larger speaker will sound better.

Hope that helps and sorry for the rant.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I don't have a bad experience with my pedals and amp so why should I get new ones? For years I get the sound I want out of them.