Hello people!

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, all self-taught. about a year and a half ago I bought my first electric guitar, and I feel that it is time for an upgrade. at the time I had about 450€. I play a lot of metal and metalcore. Things like metallica and BMTH, but also rock, like the red hot chili peppers, or funk, like the red hot chili peppers. I also like to play things like the kooks, imagine dragons and coldplay. This means I'd need very versatile gear.

My current gear consists of an Ibanez S521 MOL(320&euro and a Fender Mustang mini combo(100&euro.

The Ibanez does it's job perfectly, but the guitar is very basic, fixed bridge, passive pickups, bolt on Wizzard III 3pc maple neck, mahogany body. it's neck is quite fast and the fretboard has a really low radius so that even the higher frets are easy to play. it stays in tune and I never have any problems with it.
Link to Ibanez product page: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_page14.php?year=2014&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=203&color=CL01.

The amp is okay, it's speaker isn't really quite good, but when using the headphone output to play it through my stereo it sounds okay. it is a modeling amp with an almost unlimited amount of possible combinations of effects due to the ability to connect it to my pc, I have started to rely on this function quite heavily. The problem I have with it is the fact it is a transistor combo and the sound is digitalized for the ability to add effects. it's great for practicing, but the sound is never really satisfying.
Link to Fender product page: http://intl.fender.com/en-NL/series/mustang/mustang-mini-120v

Ive been thinking of upgrading my gear for a while now. I have about a 1000€ to spend on new equipment and I live in the Netherlands. So I have a few questions:

1: What should I upgrade first, my ampor my guitar? I am really bad at saving money, so I want to buy one of the two and not split my money. 500€ is easier to come by then a 1000€. since this is the first gear I have ever owned I don't know what the effects would be of upgrading my gear, and which would have more effect on my overall performance.

2: what are your thoughts on an EMG loaded guitar like the ESP E-ii or ltd ec-1000 for my kind of genres/is it versatile enough? If the outcome of my first question is guitar I'm looking at the ltd EC-1000FM FR with the floyd(really love lp shape ). it will give me a lot more to play with then the ibanez i currently have. Also I might switch out the standard EMG pickups with the EMG hetset.

3: will an amp like the blackstar HT-60 stage suit my kind of genres/is it versatile enough? I want a tube-amp with a clean channel and 2 overdrive channels with a footswitch. Also I really like the built in reverb of the blackstar HT series.(I suffer from a gear-fetish, like most of the guitar-playing community I think :p) as for what I want to use the amp for, everything. From playing at home to practicing with a band to doing small gigs.

Thank you very much for helping out!
Last edited by Frozenguy1 at Dec 21, 2014,
Budget and where do you live?
If in Europe, then check out this cab:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

And this head
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm?sid=e1296fd6cd9d7d9b160e983b27f09db5

This should cover most of the genres you posted.

2.Emg equipped guitars are mainly used by metal guitarists, but also a few jazz players use them(you know, the uber clean no noise stuff)

3.That amp is very versatile, you can change the tube it models with a twist of the knob, you know, like from 6l6(A bit more British voiced tubes) to EL34 to Kt88's or whatever they are called.

Still, the Jc is still more versatile. If I wouldn't have bought a Randall RG I would have probably got that.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Dec 21, 2014,
You def need a new amp for that stuff.

The whole blackstar HT series is kinda bad if ya ask me.

In your amp the sound is converted to digital and back in any case for amp modeling, so whatever you're doing your signal's not remaining analog.

I'd get a 50w jet city + a tube screamer type pedal or a JSX (also called 3120 II).
Or a 6505(+) if you value the metalcore part more than the cleans part.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Budget and where do you live?
If in Europe, then check out this cab:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

And this head
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm?sid=e1296fd6cd9d7d9b160e983b27f09db5

This should cover most of the genres you posted.

Thanks for the reply, however, I am looking for an amplifier or guitar for about a 1000€, the set you posted doesnt come close

Quote by Spambot_2

I'd get a 50w jet city + a tube screamer type pedal or a JSX (also called 3120 II).
Or a 6505(+) if you value the metalcore part more than the cleans part.

The main genre I play with my buddies is metal and those peavey amps look cool! especially the 3120! what makes the Peavey 3120 head better than lets say the Blackstar HT-60 or HT-100 head?
Quote by Frozenguy1
Thanks for the reply, however, I am looking for an amplifier or guitar for about a 1000€, the set you posted doesnt come close

The main genre I play with my buddies is metal and those peavey amps look cool! especially the 3120! what makes the Peavey 3120 head better than lets say the Blackstar HT-60 or HT-100 head?

If you get that head and cab I posted you will have a chance of having a great sound while still saving about half of your money. That leaves enough money to get that ltd you wanted.
The Peavey heads are all tube, whilst the Blackstars are supposed to be all tube, but have some transistor parts in them. That's why a lot of people burst into hemorrhoids when they hear the word Blackstar(Wait until Cathbard comes and you'll see).

EDIT:Where do you live?
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by Fryderyczek
If you get that head and cab I posted you will have a chance of having a great sound while still saving about half of your money. That leaves enough money to get that ltd you wanted.
The Peavey heads are all tube, whilst the Blackstars are supposed to be all tube, but have some transistor parts in them. That's why a lot of people burst into hemorrhoids when they hear the word Blackstar.

EDIT:Where do you live?

I live in the Netherlands.

I know what you say is true, but I'm 18 years old and really bad at saving. I want to buy one product, either an amp or a guitar, because it would take a while before I would once again have the money to buy "high-end" equipment.

as for the second, I did not know that and will try to research that further.

thanks for replying!

EDIT:
as for answering my first question, I take it I should upgrade my amp first?
Quote by Frozenguy1
I live in the Netherlands.

I know what you say is true, but I'm 18 years old and really bad at saving. I want to buy one product, either an amp or a guitar, because it would take a while before I would once again have the money to buy "high-end" equipment.

as for the second, I did not know that and will try to research that further.

thanks for replying!

EDIT:
as for answering my first question, I take it I should upgrade my amp first?

Yes. The guitar you have for now is fine. You must realize that just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's not high-end. Hell, the speakers in the cab are the industry standard for metal. You're basically paying for two speakers, but you have a wooden cab for free.
The head I posted will slay anything in that budget. The only way you would you would get a better set for that money is if you would get the Harley Benton 4x12 with the V30's and the 100 watt version of the Jet City.
Fly on, fly on
The Jet Cities are fantastic amps. Deffo prefer Soldano type stuff to the Peavey type stuff, but either are good options.

Gonna throw the Dark Terror as an option too
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
JCA50 + 2x12 with V30s = Win

I use this combo on my recordings and it's really a sick setup. I could buy a Peavey 3120 (they're nice amps) but there's really no need.

The JCA OD channel is really heavy, and it cuts ridiculously well with V30s. The Crunch channel (lower gain) is a nice JCM800 style channel and with an OD it gets Kill Em All type tones down really well. Normally it'll do a nice RHCP sound.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit.
The Jet City options are good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit.
The Jet City options are good.

I told him you'd say that.
Fly on, fly on
Isn't a 3120 just a rebadged XXX?

If that's the case, Jet City all the way and that's from me owning a XXX. Found the XXX really, really compressed.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Isn't a 3120 just a rebadged XXX?

If that's the case, Jet City all the way and that's from me owning a XXX. Found the XXX really, really compressed.

That's right.
Fly on, fly on
Your guitar's probably fine for now. EMGs are pretty good, but pick-up upgrades are a bit over-rated. Unless I'm A/Bing I can't hear much difference between my Warlock, (yes, a BC), with 81/85 and my Ibanez SZR520 with stock pups.

As for the amp, you've got plenty of suggestions already, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Peavey Vyper. There's a hybrid tube/digital model that was all the rage a few years ago when I actually frequented this forum more often.
I'm with Leather Sleeves on this. I have a vypyr 120 tube. We play everything from Abba,REM, Stones, Floyd etc right through to some metal stuff for a laugh. Vyper has it all covered with the kick of a switch. Play guitar, don't spend your time twiddling with amps.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy an amp first now, as to what model, I'll just have to try them out and look at what feels and sounds nicest right??
How's your used market?

Hit up the ads for some used Peaveys and Marshalls, mainly JCM2000 and 6505/5150/Xxx/JSX. 1960a Marshall cabs used are also great.

If you have Laney check out the Ironheart and other 100 watt heads, I think TT did good high gain.

Are there any Traynor amps there? They are quite good boosted, kinda like JCM800.

As far as guitar, it really depends. Active pickups can be quite sterile sounding, so I mostly prefer passive. I'd hold off on the guitar for now.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
How's your used market?

Hit up the ads for some used Peaveys and Marshalls, mainly JCM2000 and 6505/5150/Xxx/JSX. 1960a Marshall cabs used are also great.

If you have Laney check out the Ironheart and other 100 watt heads, I think TT did good high gain.

Are there any Traynor amps there? They are quite good boosted, kinda like JCM800.

As far as guitar, it really depends. Active pickups can be quite sterile sounding, so I mostly prefer passive. I'd hold off on the guitar for now.

I heared that marshall JCM2000 is quite hard to get a metal kinda tone from? And I really like the look of the 120W laney, but it's a class AB amp and I prefer class A
Quote by Frozenguy1
I heared that marshall JCM2000 is quite hard to get a metal kinda tone from? And I really like the look of the 120W laney, but it's a class AB amp and I prefer class A

Why do you prefer class A?

DSL2000 might need boost for more gain but it is pretty much the standard solution, as close as the old jcm800 was for the previous generation. I guess it'd get into Slayer/Metallica/Megadeth territory, if you need Cannibal Corpse probably won't do, even though I played in a death metal band with a boosted JCM900 and no one complained.
Quote by Frozenguy1
but it's a class AB amp and I prefer class A
No metalcore song was recorded with a class A amp y' know.
Metal songs? Very little.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The best thing for you to get is that Jet City 50 watt with the 2x12 Harley Benton Vintage.
If that's not enough then get the 4x12 with the 100 watt version(I don't know who would need such power, but each to his own). The money left over(which is about 160Euro if you get the second choice) can be spent on picks and cables and straplocks and stuff.

EDIT: With the money left over you could also get some sort of overdrive. The cheapest would probably be the Digitech Bad Monkey.
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
Why do you prefer class A?

I prefer Class A for the poweramp because as I understand that's not where you want the distorting to happen. Class AB has a little distorted piece in the output signal where the soundwave passes through 0. for the preamp hower my preference could be otherwise, but I dont have enough experience on the subject.

EDIT: After those replies I will however try it out in a music store and see what I think! only problem is.. where is the music store which has them on display..?

EDIT 2: What are you're thoughts on the Blackstar Series One 104 EL34?
Last edited by Frozenguy1 at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by Frozenguy1
I prefer Class A for the poweramp because as I understand that's not where you want the distorting to happen. Class AB has a little distorted piece in the output signal where the soundwave passes through 0. for the preamp hower my preference could be otherwise, but I dont have enough experience on the subject.

EDIT: After those replies I will however try it out in a music store and see what I think! only problem is.. where is the music store which has them on display..?

If it's anything similar to the HT series then it's not worth it.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Frozenguy1

I had the Blackstar Series One 200 briefly ... loud and versatile!
Quote by Frozenguy1
Ideally yes, but we're talking guitar amps and you don't care for that kind of distortion.
Also A/B amps don't create even harmonics and that has an effect on the sound.

Guitar amps distort your sound a lot, and so do speakers.
Different amps do it differently, and that's the reason why different amps sound different.

Listen to the difference and then decide basing yourself on that.

Want some examples of guitar amps using a class A/B power amp?
Whatever 100+ w amp using 4 power tubes.
That includes the JCM800, the 6505, the dual recto and the whole rest.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah I can't think of any class A amp I've played that does metal tones well, I had a VHT Pitbull 45 which I'm pretty sure was but even that had so much fizzy el84 distortion at gig volume it made it useless as a metal amp.

You want AB, pretty much any metal or modern rock amp will be any way.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Spambot_2
Ideally yes, but we're talking guitar amps and you don't care for that kind of distortion.
Also A/B amps don't create even harmonics and that has an effect on the sound.

Guitar amps distort your sound a lot, and so do speakers.
Different amps do it differently, and that's the reason why different amps sound different.

Listen to the difference and then decide basing yourself on that.

Want some examples of guitar amps using a class A/B power amp?
Whatever 100+ w amp using 4 power tubes.
That includes the JCM800, the 6505, the dual recto and the whole rest.

Thanks for saving me from all of this , There is a second hand mesa boogie dual rectifier for sale here for around 1000€, I think that's an opportunity I'm not gonna get anytime soon so.. Yeah. I heared dual rectifiers are quite amazing?
Quote by Frozenguy1
Yeah. I heared dual rectifiers are quite amazing?
Not at all if ya ask me.
You'll get a hell of a wide range of responses from different people though - it's a matter of preference, end of the story.

It will be versatile enough for you to get pretty close to all the sounds you mentioned anyway, so if you like the sound of it, by any means jump on it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Fryderyczek
whilst the Blackstars are supposed to be all tube, but have some transistor parts in them. That's why a lot of people burst into hemorrhoids when they hear the word Blackstar(Wait until Cathbard comes and you'll see).

hahahahahahaha excellent

Quote by Frozenguy1

nah you don't. hardly any guitar amps which are advertised as being class A actually are, and the (very) few which are are totally unsuitable for the types of tones you want (especially the heavier ones). Virtually every high gain tube amp in existence is class A/B.

the jet city head and harley benton g212 vintage are a good call, and would let you get a better amp and guitar together. however, if you want to blow it all on one amp, maybe look into engls, laneys, stuff like that. even peavey 6505 which is the industry standard for metalcore (but might not be as versatile for some of the other stuff you said you played).

Quote by Frozenguy1
Thanks for saving me from all of this , There is a second hand mesa boogie dual rectifier for sale here for around 1000€, I think that's an opportunity I'm not gonna get anytime soon so.. Yeah. I heared dual rectifiers are quite amazing?

i like them, but they're very dear in europe. if you can get a good deal on one second hand (and it's not too good to be true, i.e. not stolen, broken or fake or whatever), it might be worth considering. again, a bit like the 6505, not super-versatile. but should be ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 23, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahahahahahaha excellent

Thanks
As to that Mesa, I think they are extremely overrated and extremely overpriced. Easily Mesa's worst amp(IMO). If you would find a Mark for that money then it would be a different matter...

EDIT:Ts, like it was said before, your best bet is to get that Jet city with that 2x12. That would also leave you enough money for that LTD and you would still have some money left over for other cool stuff. If you feel like that's lacking, then you can get the 100watt version of the head and the 2x12, or the 50 watt head and the 4x12, your choice.
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Dec 23, 2014,
I haven't tried the marks. I did always like the recto when I tried it, just I don't like Mesa's pricing policy in europe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried the marks. I did always like the recto when I tried it, just I don't like Mesa's pricing policy in europe.

I wouldn't even like MEsa's pricing in the US.
I'm a broke 15 year old.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I wouldn't even like MEsa's pricing in the US.
I'm a broke 15 year old.

Nobody likes mesa's pricing policy anywhere haha.. I'm also kinda always broke, but 18 years old. It's just that I found a new job 2 months ago and my expenses haven't had time to adapt :p
^ yeah but in the usa they cost about 60% of what they cost in europe. they're still dear but in europe they're verging on (IMO) extortionate.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?