hello, I have had problems with 3 way switches in 3 of my guitars where the contacts dont touch very well. I end up getting a really weak sound randomly when switching between pickups. the switches are similar to this:

recently while trying to fix this problem on one of my guitars, I ended up making it worse. I bent the contacts a bit too much and now the contacts never touch no matter what position the switch is in.

Id like to know of a good 3 way switch I can replace these with. All the better if the switches dont have this "flap" contact style.

thanks
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
The korean made 3 way switch for Epiphones.

The body is slightly wider than the standard 3 way flap contact switches, but still fits into a Les Paul switch cavity so check before you buy if you have a different style guitar.
Attachments:
3WAY.JPG
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Dec 21, 2014,
I like the ones you had originally. But CLR (or CRL whatever it is) is what all the custom shops tend to use.

but those particular ones you had originally I've put in god knows how many guitars and never had issues with them. If all the soldering is done proper and nothing touching anything the world is yours sort of thing.
Switchcraft makes some really great quality 3 ways. A really great tip for prolonging the life of your 3 way switches. When you are done playing your guitar, and before you put it up, always put your switch in the middle position. Don't leave it set on the neck or bridge position. When it's left anywhere but the middle for basically infinite time, it weakens the springiness of the contact leafs. This causes premature failure.
Those Korean box switches are built exactly like the open skeleton switches. This design is fundamentally flawed as it relies totally on the spring action of the leaves to operate properly. Basically, these switches are just plain crap.

The best 3-way for guitars that I have seen was the type used in my 1983 Peavey Horizon. It is a military-grade switch (according to the Horizon manual) and was made by Carling. I believe the model number is 65002. It's a DPDT center-on type. It lasted 30 years with no real problems and would have lasted much longer if I hadn't taken it apart to try to fix the little bit of play in the actuator...
thanks for the suggestions. Couldnt find those carling switches anywhere sold individually. I think I will go with switchcraft. Its the same concept of switch that im trying to avoid, but I guess its the best I can get right now for a guitar. Also, I enjoy switchcraft stuff.

thanks again
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1