It's usually best to try to use one finger for each fret. Of course, this doesn't always work out, so just try to minimize your movements, and if you're not already, try to use that pinky! As an example, here's how I'd play the E blues scale between the 4th and 8th frets. The numbers at the bottom correspond to your fingers. 1 is pointer, 4 is pinky.

|-------------------------5-6-7-
|---------------------5-8-------
|-----------------4-7-----------
|-----------5-7-8---------------
|-------5-7---------------------
|-5-6-7-------------------------

1 2 3 1 3 1 3 4 1 4 1 4 1 2 3

Of course, in an actual musical context it all depends on what you just played and what you're about to play, but that's the gist of it.

and sometimes you may need to do three notes per string that are stretched out like 5-7-9. I find it's usually easier to use your pointer, ring, pinky, but occasionally pointer, middle pinky will make more sense.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 21, 2014,
It was a bit of fun at 5 a.m. this morning, when me digits were forced to be more nimble when playing the blues scale in E. I've played the minor pentatonic in Am for almost an entire year now, along with the chromatic scale and some chords. I want to shred (doesn't everybody?), and was instinctively drawn to scales as a way of building a more responsive subconscious mind/fingertip connection. Right about third post. I was really getting into it!
Last edited by pointnplink at Dec 22, 2014,
can we all just take a minute to appreciate this thread title
i don't know why i feel so dry