19 19%
I don't and I hate it when others do
17 17%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 15
this flow chart is mentally challenged.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
such a #bradthread
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
yeah cause those are the only times that retard is used.

I get the point though and agree with it.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
It is a bad word and saying it is probably best avoided unless it's related to the verb
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
terrible flow chart 0/10
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
It's weird how actual names for mental/developmental conditions have basically replaced the use of that word.
Disagree.

It should be acceptable to use the word to describe someone who is, in a medical sense, mentally challenged in such a way as to support the definition of that word.

Otherwise is it okay? No, of course not. We often forget that words like dumb, idiot, insane, imbecile, etc, used to be medical terms, but now are only used in a derogatory way. I don't think that we should refuse to use a word in its proper place and time, only because some people have taken it upon themselves to use that word in a degrading manner.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Disagree.

It should be acceptable to use the word to describe someone who is, in a medical sense, mentally challenged in such a way as to support the definition of that word.

MR has been changed to "intellectual disability" now in an official sense, for what it's worth.
but really, I know I shouldn't but I still do, but never at school or work or something. I was watching football and probably called every player on the Eagles ******ed at least once (and most likely said worse things). TBF, they're terrible so I don't feel bad about it
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by c3powil
Disagree.

Otherwise is it okay? No, of course not. We often forget that words like dumb, idiot, insane, imbecile, etc, used to be medical terms, but now are only used in a derogatory way. I don't think that we should refuse to use a word in its proper place and time, only because some people have taken it upon themselves to use that word in a degrading manner.

We have other words for that now though, thank god because people have gotten super mean about it whether they realize it or not which can provoke a strong reaction from those afflicted. Yeah dumb, idiot etc used to mean other things but that's sorta irrelevant now because we have two separate words for their original meaning and their current meaning now, they've detached completely. Just like the way this word is going.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
I used to regularly use it a few years back so that it was a habit but I had like three different friends at the time who had mentally disabled family members and I used that word around them by accident way too much so I just decided to stop completely to avoid a slip up.
I think it's better than insulting someone by calling them autistic or something but still not great tho
cat
Quote by bradulator
MR has been changed to "intellectual disability" now in an official sense, for what it's worth.

Maybe so, but it still doesn't replace the original meaning of the word. It just replaces the political correctness of the word. Like white and caucasian. One is more politically correct than the other, but I am no less a white man, than I am a caucasian man, within context.

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
We have other words for that now though, thank god because people have gotten super mean about it whether they realize it or not which can provoke a strong reaction from those afflicted. Yeah dumb, idiot etc used to mean other things but that's sorta irrelevant now because we have two separate words for their original meaning and their current meaning now, they've detached completely. Just like the way this word is going.

I agree, but I think it's rather unlike the "gay" phenomenon, which was treated in a better way. Gay used to be (and, granted, it still is) widely used as an insult, yet, instead of changing the term altogether, we simply made using the word as an insult a socially unacceptable usage of it.
Last edited by c3powil at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by c3powil
Maybe so, but it still doesn't replace the original meaning of the word. It just replaces the political correctness of the word. Like white and caucasian. One is more politically correct than the other, but I am no less a white man, than I am a caucasian man, within context.

Yeah but neither of those are mean. This word is mean and pointless.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
I observed some special ed classrooms this semester and it's made me strongly reconsider my use of the word. So i've tried to stop and it makes me cringe sometimes when people say it.
my whole thing with words is that I couldn't give less of a shit if they're not being used with malicious/harmful intent towards a person/group of people/disability/whatever.

should they not be said? no, realistically, they shouldn't be. but I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape if someone goes "oh that's ******ed" in regards to something. in regards to someone? I'll be a little annoyed and it does induce a bit of an "ugh, really" reaction in me, and depending on the severity I might say something.

edit: brad my moms actually got her teaching license in SPED, is that what you're doing?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Dec 21, 2014,
Quote by WCPhils
but really, I know I shouldn't but I still do, but never at school or work or something. I was watching football and probably called every player on the Eagles ******ed at least once (and most likely said worse things). TBF, they're terrible so I don't feel bad about it

idk what it is about football but I always say the worst shit when watching football, ******ed is probably every other word I say and that's probably the only time I ever use it

calling people aspie or autistic is pretty low though
Quote by bradulator

Cognitive impairment I believe is even more politically correct and is a medical vocabulary.

I used to say retard liberally (heh, irony) but since undergoing teacher training it's been mostly eradicated from my usage besides a slip up once in a blue moon
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by c3powil

I actually think Caucasian sounds way worse than white but i am neither so whatever
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I actually think Caucasian sounds way worse than white but i am neither so whatever

It's objectively worse because there are actual Caucasian people that white people have nothing to do with and it's fucked to say white = Caucasian because it's 100% incorrect.
Quote by RylanThePotato
idk what it is about football but I always say the worst shit when watching football, ******ed is probably every other word I say and that's probably the only time I ever use it

calling people aspie or autistic is pretty low though
For the most part my classes at school have erased most of it from my everyday vocab, but football games make me dumb.

It's really when I say 99% of the shitty things I say. I don't know what it is tbh. I won't say anything most of the year but Sundays from September - January it's a different story.

A guy on the Cowboys went down with an injury in a game earlier and I hoped he got Aids. wtf
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Yeah but neither of those are mean. This word is mean and pointless.

But its not pointless. It describes a real medical condition.

I realize that no one wants to be called names, but by changing the name for something real, like ******ed, you are effectively giving that word over to be used continually as slang, instead of reclaiming it for its original intent and purpose.

Quote by guitarxo

If I were completing a survey and it asked my ethnicity, I would write white over caucasian any day. Probably because I don't really care what is politically correct when it applies to myself. Im not that sensitive.
Last edited by c3powil at Dec 21, 2014,
In the last year or so being mindful of hurtful language has become really important to me so I've erased it from my vocabulary. I generally agree with the flow chart. It bothers me a little bit when other people say it I guess.

What bothers me more is when people justify saying shitty things with "well the intent wasn't there" as if that matters.
Quote by WCPhils
For the most part my classes at school have erased most of it from my everyday vocab, but football games make me dumb.

It's really when I say 99% of the shitty things I say. I don't know what it is tbh. I won't say anything most of the year but Sundays from September - January it's a different story.

A guy on the Cowboys went down with an injury in a game earlier and I hoped he got Aids. wtf

Yeah same here, I don't really understand why either

today I screamed at the TV asking Chris Collinsworth how he could talk with so many B-rate quarterback's cocks in his mouth. At least I get creative sometimes
I've made an effort to remove any kind of language that's offensive to any group a few years ago, I like to think I've become a better person because of it.

I'm only really bothered when people defend usage of offensive language in any way, or somehow try to justify it. I attribute this kind of thing (usage of offensive language) to someone's experiences in life shaping that behaviour so I'm not too judgmental on those who do, but at least have the sense to realise it's nonsense to rationalise it.
while I understand the idea of "it's just a word, it doesn't need to mean bad things" or whatever, I think it's a really screwed up mentality.

You're basically saying that you believe in the principle of words stronger than you believe in the principle of being decent/sensitive/nice towards people. nahmean? I'm probably not saying this the right way, but if you justify the use of inappropriate language because "it's just a word", then you need to rethink how you view other people cause it's just really selfish I think, to think that saying a word in a casual setting is somehow more important than how another person feels.
it's all coming back

Quote by c3powil
But its not pointless. It describes a real medical condition.

I realize that no one wants to be called names, but by changing the name for something real, like ******ed, you are effectively giving that word over to be used continually as slang, instead of reclaiming it for its original intent and purpose.

If I were completing a survey and it asked my ethnicity, I would write white over caucasian any day. Probably because I don't really care what is politically correct when it applies to myself. Im not that sensitive.

The original meaning can never be reclaim
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I use it sometimes but I want to phase it out. I don't think I've said fag for a few years now.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
well as I was typing that a few other people already said it so I hate you all and you suck
it's all coming back

It's potentially ok if you're talking about something (not a person) slowing down.

Of course I'd avoid it in most cases to avoid people getting butthurt.

I'm of the opinion that if you know a word is potentially offensive you can't be mad/upset when other people get upset that you use it whether you think it should be offensive or not.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by stratman_13
my whole thing with words is that I couldn't give less of a shit if they're not being used with malicious/harmful intent towards a person/group of people/disability/whatever.

should they not be said? no, realistically, they shouldn't be. but I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape if someone goes "oh that's ******ed" in regards to something. in regards to someone? I'll be a little annoyed and it does induce a bit of an "ugh, really" reaction in me, and depending on the severity I might say something.

edit: brad my moms actually got her teaching license in SPED, is that what you're doing?

Nah, I just had to take the class for my minor. But I enjoyed it so much that it's a potential option in the future maybe.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
The original meaning can never be reclaim

I don't think thats true. A word has meaning based on what meaning a society gives to it. The word "gay" was used for a very long time in an insensitive way, but now more and more people are starting to use it in a nicer way because many people in our society made a conscious effort to reclaim it.