Anyone have any ideas behind their riff techniques? I'm not really sure what note to start on and what note to end on when im trying to create riffs, but im going for something sabbathy. any tips, pointers, ideas? Thank you
Learn a bit of theory and look at their riffs for yourself; really pull apart why the riffs you like sound the way they do. Sabbath has a lot of very varied material so really you're the only pne who's going to know what it is about the Sabbath sound you're trying to replicate.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learn a bit of theory and look at their riffs for yourself; really pull apart why the riffs you like sound the way they do. Sabbath has a lot of very varied material so really you're the only pne who's going to know what it is about the Sabbath sound you're trying to replicate.

Anything from VOL 4, sabbath bloody sabbath and black sabbath. I'm trying to learn theory it's just difficult i dont know where to start. So basically just break down the songs then apply it in my own way?
Quote by 75mm
So basically just break down the songs then apply it in my own way?

Basically. Learning to write music is largely reverse engineering.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Easy way.Take a Sabbath riff,Move it into a different key,play the notes in a different order until it sounds cool.

Not the best way though.You should really learn some of the theory behind what makes Sabbath sound like Sabbath.
What scales are they using?Minor Pent?Aeolian?Harmonic minor?
What makes Sabbath sound the way they do timing wise?

You can just wing it and make riffs up using random notes but you really need to then learn what relationship those notes have to each other.

Another way is to use your creativity and create the riff in your head.Then try and play it on the guitar.But again it then comes down to learning why the riff sounds the way it does.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Dec 22, 2014,