I am Re-finishing an older Ibanez GIO and started sanding the black finish off, and this was what i stumbled into:
Black Finish
Then sanded into the following colors:
-Blue, White, Red, Black again

Any explanations?
The GIO is not made of wood, it is entirely made of paint.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've heard of other companies do this. Maybe the paint chipped upon arrival from Ibanez and they shipped it back and they re-painted it so they make the full value on the guitar instead of selling as B-stock
Knowing that it is a GIO, I don't think it would be worth shipping back.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Base coat, another base coat, primer, more primer, more primer, top coat. Allows them to make a full size guitar with marginally less wood? That's my guess.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
This is a common theme of guitar companies. If an item is returned, it is sanded and refinished to the coat in which is most in demand. It's the foundation of the Fender Custom Shop's idea of the relic-through double finish.

Your guitar is a cheapo, slightly-better-than-POS guitar, though. Sand it to finish, do what you want, play it, have fun!

Quote by TheStig1214
Base coat, another base coat, primer, more primer, more primer, top coat. Allows them to make a full size guitar with marginally less wood? That's my guess.

Paint, surprisingly, is more expensive than plywood.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 21, 2014,
So that anyone who does that will say "well, color me surprised". They only did it for that joke.
Quote by JustRooster
This is a common theme of guitar companies. If an item is returned, it is sanded and refinished to the coat in which is most in demand. It's the foundation of the Fender Custom Shop's idea of the relic-through double finish.

Your guitar is a cheapo, slightly-better-than-POS guitar, though. Sand it to finish, do what you want, play it, have fun!

Paint, surprisingly, is more expensive than plywood.

Yeah thats the idea is to remove all the paint and repaint, and it was a cheapo, i think $150ish at the time. It had a few wiring problems so i figured id give my hand at repainting it, and tonight i finally got down to the wood. It was 7 layers of paint and primer mixed. Needless to say i have a lot of sanding ahead of me, thanks for the info everyone. Hope no one ever has to experience this!
Seems to me you're sanding away a golden opportunity to make a very unique looking piece of art/guitar.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20