Budget? - Looking to buy online for around $200. Pretty much a beginner but would like to buy the best quality guitar for around $200, that doesn't include $ for an amp.

Favorite Artists? - The Strokes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Killers, Rage Against The Machine, Incubus, Franz Ferdinand, Taking Back Sunday, All American Rejects. I liked a lot of rock in the early 00s. Not really interested in Metal or harder rock, I like cleaner tones.

Preferences? - Body Shape- A standard guitar shape, nothing crazy like a flying V.

Location? - I am located in Manhattan in New York City.

Thank You for your help.
Last edited by kenneyy88 at Dec 22, 2014,
here is what i would do. your in NYC there probably some shops. go in and play a bunch of guitars. talk to your salesmen and get him to show him how to get what you like, thank him and leave. find something either go backaftera while of order online or check another store.

get a feel when you pull the trigger.

i don't know much about some of those bands, but i would look into something with a humbucker and single coils.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks, sounds like I'd want something with a humbucker. If possible, i'd like to buy online as I rarely have any time during the day to go to a shop.
Quote by kenneyy88
Thanks, sounds like I'd want something with a humbucker. If possible, i'd like to buy online as I rarely have any time during the day to go to a shop.

nothing wrong with that. i buy most of my gear online. the stores suck here, and my CL is full of shit, just junk. people trying for crazy prices and rip somebody who doesn't know what they want.

not much at $200 unfortunately, you could find a decent squier strat (fender's budget line) for that used. other than that i really don't think i would get an Epiphone (gibsons budget line)

stay away from dean and BC rich at that budget.

ibanez may have something decent used. you want a "hard tail" not a "tremolo" and you could get lucky
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree with @trashedlostfdup. Go into a music store and try it out and see what you like.

YOU DO NOT WANT SINGLE-COILS. Just gonna get that out. Cheap single-coils sound terrible and a cheap amp to go with it makes most stuff terrible. If you plan on keeping the guitar or if you wind up having the guitar a while and your appreciation for tone (which takes a very long time to develop) gets better, you'l be glad you got humbuckers. Honestly, I wouldn't get single-coils until you can get a nice American-made Stratocaster (upwards of $1500).

You definitely want a "hard tail" bridge. Tremolo bridges are more of a distraction to beginning players, and without really nice hardware, throws your guitar out of tune every time.

If you're looking for suggestions, try some ESP, LTD, Squier, Ibanez (probably have to get it used like trashedlostfdup said), and Jackson guitars.

Hope this helps!
*le me *le forum person