Poll: Songwriting Game's SONG OF THE YEAR?
Poll Options
View poll results: Songwriting Game's SONG OF THE YEAR?
Song 1
4 21%
Song 2
2 11%
Song 3
0 0%
Song 4
2 11%
Song 5
2 11%
Song 6
1 5%
Song 7
0 0%
Song 8
4 21%
Song 9
0 0%
Song 10
4 21%
Voters: 19.
Hello!

You've probably seen these "Songwriting" threads threadin' about for some time now. A whole year to be precise.

Up until now, we made 302 original songs, 25 of which were made for the "Free Week", plus 29 covers. We filled 7 albums + bonus tracks.

I hope this group has been useful in people's songwriting endeavors, and thank you so much to everyone who submitted songs, as well as everyone who voted on them.

So...

Below are our TOP 10 songs of the year, carefully selected using a rigorous and fair method devised by sickman411.
(Of course there are always individual preferences to take into consideration and all that stuff... Still, these are the best as far as maths are concerned. Btw, fuck you maths.)

All we're asking you to do is vote on the one you liked the most.
We'll be really thankful if you do that!

Here they are:

1 - "Textual Healing: An Autocorrect Louvre Story" (primusfan)

2 - "Room Temperature" (sickman411)

3 - "A Greeting" (chev311e)

4 - "I Do" (Spoony_Bard)

5 - "Reflection" (SirZep)

6 - "English Rain" (Skinny91)

7 - "Day at the Beach" (ehbacon, chev311e)

8 - "There's No Love in You" (Trifonas)

9 - "Wood in Two Parts" (MapOfYourHead)

10 - "House of Leaves" (whywefight)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, everyone, and Merry Christmas / Happy New Year / Happy Holidays
We'll be back in January 5th!

------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Saturday (post your song for next week meanwhile). The winner of this week's voting will become a mod in our group for the whole year.

------------------
The usual video, just for shits and giggles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lTjoEAUNgU

Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 22, 2014,
Good work mini! I'll vote today. Love hearing all these old songs. I think the list is pretty awesome given how hard it is to come up with something like this.
Thanks to everyone who has participated so far (in rough order of number of submitted songs):

whywefight, FoOltz, sickman411, chev311e, nico_9550, Joshua1207, Skinny91, ehbacon, semiquaver, MapOfYourHead, Faux, Minicaxotinho, Scarmadillo, SirZep, manualex, Duaneclapdrix, FlipComplex, primusfan, Trifonas, SaintVitus, fLYinGV23, the bartender, BjarnedeGraaf, stratkat, lettuceface, Spoony_Bard, ultimate-slash, captainsnazz, deadsmileyface, SunshineMusicO, snipelfritz, yoman297, vintage x metal, macashmack, ibanez1997 and Trowzaa

(Yes I'm thanking myself. Shut up.)
I know I haven't done this yet in any of these threads, but I'm probably going to make a comprehensive review of all these songs in a bit. They're all so good.
1) This was the first winner of this group, and it's stood up as one of the best songs this year. I remember first hearing this song and almost being afraid to join the group because of how good it was.

2) That intro drum beat/ piano riff is probably one the best sections of any song in this group. I remember going back and listening just to the first 30 seconds of the song so many times just because of how stuck in my head it was.

3) Total rip-off of Smashing Pumpkins

4) Probably the best produced song in this group. Actually sounds like it came straight from a studio. Overall just a really solid song, that piano intro and the guitars sound awesome.

5) I also remember hearing this song for the first time and thinking 'damn, I should just quit the group because I won't write anything near this good'. This has some of my favorite guitar work of any song in this group. Just a really well written song.

6) What happened to Skinny? This song brings a lot of feels with it and I wish he was still around so I could hear more songs like this.

7) To ehbacon:

8) Love this song. I could see this being on 'In Rainbows'. Your voice is awesome and it's really unlike anything else in this group.

9) Really interesting song. I love the build up from the original beat to the huge wall of sound that comes in towards the end. The overall pacing of the song is great.

10) The King of this group. Would I have wanted 'Closet' on this list? Sure, but this song is just as solid. I love the "I gather it!!" part.

Still haven't decided who to vote for.
Quote by chev311e
1) This was the first winner of this group, and it's stood up as one of the best songs this year. I remember first hearing this song and almost being afraid to join the group because of how good it was.

2) That intro drum beat/ piano riff is probably one the best sections of any song in this group. I remember going back and listening just to the first 30 seconds of the song so many times just because of how stuck in my head it was.

3) Total rip-off of Smashing Pumpkins

4) Probably the best produced song in this group. Actually sounds like it came straight from a studio. Overall just a really solid song, that piano intro and the guitars sound awesome.

5) I also remember hearing this song for the first time and thinking 'damn, I should just quit the group because I won't write anything near this good'. This has some of my favorite guitar work of any song in this group. Just a really well written song.

6) What happened to Skinny? This song brings a lot of feels with it and I wish he was still around so I could hear more songs like this.

7) To ehbacon:

8) Love this song. I could see this being on 'In Rainbows'. Your voice is awesome and it's really unlike anything else in this group.

9) Really interesting song. I love the build up from the original beat to the huge wall of sound that comes in towards the end. The overall pacing of the song is great.

10) The King of this group. Would I have wanted 'Closet' on this list? Sure, but this song is just as solid. I love the "I gather it!!" part.

Still haven't decided who to vote for.

hey is your name of the band chevelle or the car? Because my music theory teacher's band got to play with the band this weekend.

Edit: and

also for the bump
Quote by ehbacon
hey is your name of the band chevelle or the car? Because my music theory teacher's band got to play with the band this weekend.

Edit: and

also for the bump

Yes the band Chevelle and 311. And that's awesome about your teacher.
WWF's music is too good. voted.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Is anyone else having trouble with Bandcamp? The site doesn't seem to load entirely, there's no "Play" button.

I tried updating Flash yesterday, on linux . I may have messed up something on my end, but I want to be sure.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 23, 2014,
Quote by Trifonas
How long will this be up? It's really hard to decide..

looks like for another 4 days about.
Well, firstly let me say that I had to listen to songs I have no idea how their weeks were
This is my review!

1. The lyrics are not really my thing, but I liked the melody and progression (the crash at the end made the song evolve from one 'on-the-road' ballad to a

2. The few songs I've heard from sickman these weeks I'm participating are more guitar driven so I was a bit surprised to listen to a full instrumental electronic piece. The song gave me a certain vibe of starting and stoping repeatedly while running. I mostly enjoyd the second part of the song. However it didn't really say something to me..

3. The guitars are really blended awesomely (is that a word?). It made me think of songs I listened to when I was 12 or 13 (a bit of Placebo, some Syd Barrett) which is a great thing. The riff stuck in my head for a while. I liked the distorted part and I think it is nice of you not to put a drum beat there - it could be easily ruined, but now it seems punky and saying what it wants to say. One bad thing is the originality it kind of lacks. It seems like I've already heard the song.

4. Spoony Bard, if I'm not mistaken, is one of the few that I hadn't heard of again. Well, the song is completely not my style, so I can only be really subjective. It is really tightly produced, but the hard guitars and the choir blended together only bring bad memories of bands I really don't like. However I can see why someone who enjoys this style, could really get this song.

5. The guitar made me think of Frusciante and the voice of Clash. I liked the lead guitar riffs and your voice fits great with the thing you are trying to pass. I got a little bored in the solo-outro part (Not really a solo guy)

6. This is probably going to be my pick. I'm not sure yet. Why hasn't this guy contributed anything else? The lyrics and vocal melody make me feel like I want to take a walk in the rain. The part that added the tambourine and some additional vocals sounded like raining. Great song.

7. This makes me think of holiday and sitting on the beach with your friends and playing that one song you wrote for the cute girl you thought were great together, but she never got it.

8. Oh, terrible guy. Make sure you never talk to him. The only thing he cares about is a bit more melodrama in his life. Seriously.

9. I think I had voted for this. I think Map's ability to create the landscapes he creates is phenomenal. However this is not one of my favorite Map's songs.

10. One of whywefight's signature songs. My favorite one never got the praise it deserved (curse you group). This one combines all the things I have heard from him into one great song. The guitars, the drunken vocals (:p) and the atmosphere of a dark and uneasy backround. Whywefight deserves to win song writer of the year (I heard something about a pakt with the devil), just look at how many times he's won.

Any way I think I might actually go with English Rain, but I'm really not sure yet...
Just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.
Quote by Trifonas

5. The guitar made me think of Frusciante

I always think of that song as the 'Wet Sand Rip-off'. The melody and the chord-progression is different (I think) but I tried to make something...in the same vein (If I remember corectly in the 'original' thread someone said that my song had a RHCP vibe).

Quote by Minicaxotinho
I don't think I've ever mentioned this before but... SirZep's voice... I love it.

Thanks. I always enjoyed singing but I never though of myself as much of a singer. I started singing because...somebody had to do it. Now I'm a little more comfortable with it, and I think this group really helped.

Quote by chev311e

Around the time I joined the group you were the one that I thought (for me) stood out. You always come up with quality stuff. Don't worry, hopefully someday you'll be as good of a songwriter as I am (not better, but just as good)

Quote by ehbacon
Voted for Reflection which is funny because I'm pretty sure I didn't vote for it when it was originally written

YES!

Thanks everybody for the kind words
...and I still haven't voted yet (I gotta get my shit together)
Last edited by SirZep at Dec 26, 2014,
Quote by Faux
Textual healing is far and away the best song of the year IMO. The full package (lyrics/instrumentation/arrangement)

That's sort of what I thiught too. I wouldn't say far and away because there have been a lot of good songs from here. But it is one of the songs that really stick out. I'd love to know the chords he plays.
Thanks, haha. Chords:

G C D Em
C Cm
G C D

Em Cm G
Em C B7 Em
C Cm
Am D

The capo is somewhere around the third or fourth fret. I can't remember if I was tuned to standard at the time. I think it's in Bb. I'm in the process of rerecording it with more instrumentation (MIDI drums, bass, etc) and I think I'm gonna raise it a half step just to give it a vocal quality more in line with my other tunes I've written since.

All great tunes, guys. I'm happy to have been a part of this and flattered one of my songs made it to the "top 10." It's been a great year and the quality songs all y'all put out on a weekly basis have forced me to really grow as a songwriter over the course of this group (though I've still got a ways to go).

So cheers to all y'all! Here's to another great year (where I hopefully actively participate more often)
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Dec 26, 2014,
About 8 hours left to vote, people! Come on!

I'm going to try to make a mini-review-thing of all the songs...

Textual Healing: An Autocorrect Louvre Story
This was obviously a historical song for the group because it was the first ever winner and I think everyone that's been around since the beginning remembers it fondly. The main "attention-grabbing" feature is of course the clever funny lyrics, and primusfan did a great job with them, I think it's pretty clear from this song and his other ones that he's a talented and experienced lyricist. This song is also really catchy and very well structured, and the chord progressions are really well adapted to the pace of the lyrics, if you get what I mean. And I love his voice in it (especially on the "dangerous game" line, I always loved the tone of voice in that bit), he was probably one of the few people who already sang with a lot of confidence when the group started.

Room Temperature
So let me talk about my own song here a bit too. I had an exam on the day of the deadline that week so I didn't work on anything during the week but I thought I'd give it a shot after the exam in the evening. I knew I didn't have time to do lyrics or vocals or anything so I just did a MIDI instrumental, because when I write on the guitar I tend to write stuff that only works with lyrics. So I just did something in a couple of hours that was supposed to be just a backing track for some guitar melody but then when I tried to do guitar stuff over it everything sounded bad and I gave up on that, but I submitted the thing anyway. I legitimately thought it would get zero votes, so I was really surprised when I saw the poll the next day but yeah now my wacky algorithm placed it in the top 10, go figure. I'm actually pretty proud of it now, but it was only when I won the week that I realised it was actually any good.

A Greeting
I remember being kind of disappointed with some of the stuff chev311e was submitting at the time, it wasn't doing much for me, thought it was kind of hit and miss. I was really happy when he submitted this because to me it was the confirmation of his "return to form" in my eyes. It flows really well, I love the layers of vocals and guitars, and it worked really well with his style. It's also one of these songs that gets stuck in my head from time to time, even though it had been quite some time since I'd last heard it. My algorithm placed it as the #1 song (I can say this now, the voting's almost over ) and I think it was the first song to get over 50% of votes (especially remarkable since that week had 8 songs (I just went and checked))

I Do
It's pretty sad that Spoony doesn't submit very often, because this is a pretty good song. I'm not normally a metal guy, but this was really well done and that chorus is amazing. It really sticks in your head, and I think the lyrics help too. I like how the verses and the pre-choruses are a bit different, it really helps the flow of the song. Very carefully produced too.

Reflection
That simple chord progression with the Frusciante-ish guitar embellishments really sets the overall tone for this song. SirZep's voice fits like a glove, and I think it's one of the greatest vocal performances in the group's songs. The oh-oh-oh bit at the end of the verse lines was a really good idea. It's great when the bridge kicks in, gives the song that extra bit of energy.

English Rain
Yeah this song was very typical of Skinny and great as usual, the production is amazing, and the more dynamic verse (and subsequent rest of song) is great when it kicks in. It's atmospheric and lively at the same time, as his stuff often is.

Day at the Beach
Collaborating with ehbacon is great, he really sets the overall mood of the song but his raw tracks are "open-ended" enough that you're still free to do pretty much whatever you want with it. And this is naturally a great collab that keeps ehbacon's and chev311e's individual styles prominent but they still really complement each other. I have to say I didn't notice this song very much at first listen but it really grew on me when I was doing the album and stuff. It's got this melancholic but happy feel.

There's No Love in You
I love how this song does so much with just that little vamp being repeated over and over. It actually took me until my 4th or 5th listen to notice that it was actually the same thing throughout the whole song. The vocals are great as is usual of Trifonas, and the non-repetitiveness of the vocals compensates the repetitiveness of that little bit. I must say I'm not too fond of the somewhat vitriolic lyrics, but that's just me. Voted for this one.

Wood in Two Parts
Great concept. After the first part lingering on that same note forever (which I'm not bashing btw), the second part is really impactful. I like the minimalistic beat and the unpredictable syncopations. I think Map is one of the most consistently good regulars btw, and instrumentals are often harder to remember, but Map's really aren't, I don't specifically know why.

House of Leaves
Even though I did vote for it originally, this song didn't really strike my attention until I made the compilation album. It takes a few interesting turns until it finally settles down into that moody verse, and then one of the strongest choruses I've heard here. Great job, one of wwf's most well-achieved songs.

So yeah, sorry for creating another 3-way tie

Anyway, I thought I'd make my own top 10 so here's my personal top 10, in no particular order (I actually randomised it!) and not that well thought out, and with maximum 1 song per user:

Always Climbing Up (the bartender)
Son I Am Disappoint (primusfan)
Memory of a Town (chev311e)
Flush Park (MapOfYourHead)
Saucer Eyes (whywefight, FoOltz, FlipComplex)
Yes (Joshua1207)
Part 2 - Moonrise (Skinny91)
Two Seconds of Silence (nico_9550)
There's No Love in You (Trifonas)
Reflection (SirZep)
Last edited by sickman411 at Dec 26, 2014,
We're doing personal favorites? Aight, tried to keep it at one a person (I mean who wants a list of just Skinny songs?):

Foltz- The Visitors

Skinny91- Red Drips Through Skyscrapers (probably my personal all time favorite, though I can't not hear that Ghostbusters line now that Foltz pointed it out. But my lyrics are silly all the time so...)

Faux- Straight White Punk (probably my favorite lyrics on any song so far)

Sickman- Circus Tent

Chevelle- Home

Trifonas- Care 77bpm (that vocal melody is off the hook)

Mapofyourhead- Flush Park

Primusfan- Marigold

Joshuanumbers- Solitude (especially the version with vocals)

Sunshinegroup- Cosmic

Nico- Two Seconds of Silence (good choice sickman)

whywefight- Ode To Loneliness (there's some stuff I'd change on it now but I'm allowed to like some of my own songs right? haha)

thebartender- Perfect Safety

Thorbulous- Heights (these last two songs I forgot about until I looked through the albums... who did this song? It's wonderfully done and I don't recognize the username....)
Last edited by whywefight at Dec 26, 2014,
Quote by sickman411
About 8 hours left to vote, people! Come on!

A Greeting
I remember being kind of disappointed with some of the stuff chev311e was submitting at the time, it wasn't doing much for me, thought it was kind of hit and miss. I was really happy when he submitted this because to me it was the confirmation of his "return to form" in my eyes. It flows really well, I love the layers of vocals and guitars, and it worked really well with his style. It's also one of these songs that gets stuck in my head from time to time, even though it had been quite some time since I'd last heard it. My algorithm placed it as the #1 song (I can say this now, the voting's almost over ) and I think it was the first song to get over 50% of votes (especially remarkable since that week had 8 songs (I just went and checked))

Day at the Beach
Collaborating with ehbacon is great, he really sets the overall mood of the song but his raw tracks are "open-ended" enough that you're still free to do pretty much whatever you want with it. And this is naturally a great collab that keeps ehbacon's and chev311e's individual styles prominent but they still really complement each other. I have to say I didn't notice this song very much at first listen but it really grew on me when I was doing the album and stuff. It's got this melancholic but happy feel.

Anyway, I thought I'd make my own top 10 so here's my personal top 10, in no particular order (I actually randomised it!) and not that well thought out, and with maximum 1 song per user:

Always Climbing Up (the bartender)
Son I Am Disappoint (primusfan)
Memory of a Town (chev311e)
Flush Park (MapOfYourHead)
Saucer Eyes (whywefight, FoOltz, FlipComplex)
Yes (Joshua1207)
Part 2 - Moonrise (Skinny91)
Two Seconds of Silence (nico_9550)
There's No Love in You (Trifonas)
Reflection (SirZep)

This entire review made my night

getting some serious nostalgia looking back at the old threads
Last edited by chev311e at Dec 27, 2014,
Quote by chev311e
That's sort of what I thiught too. I wouldn't say far and away because there have been a lot of good songs from here. But it is one of the songs that really stick out. I'd love to know the chords he plays.

Yea i just said that to be controversial haha. Great piece!

edit: Also, thanks whywefight!!!
Quote by chev311e
This entire review made my night

yeah, I don't care that we don't have any votes, I feel really ****ing honored even to have a song considered for the top 10 of the year. Thanks everyone and lets make next year ****ing awesome too
Quote by whywefight
We're doing personal favorites? Aight, tried to keep it at one a person (I mean who wants a list of just Skinny songs?):

Foltz- The Visitors

Skinny91- Red Drips Through Skyscrapers (probably my personal all time favorite, though I can't not hear that Ghostbusters line now that Foltz pointed it out. But my lyrics are silly all the time so...)

Faux- Straight White Punk (probably my favorite lyrics on any song so far)

Sickman- Circus Tent

Chevelle- Home

Trifonas- Care 77bpm (that vocal melody is off the hook)

Mapofyourhead- Flush Park

Primusfan- Marigold

Joshuanumbers- Solitude (especially the version with vocals)

Sunshinegroup- Cosmic

Nico- Two Seconds of Silence (good choice sickman)

whywefight- Ode To Loneliness (there's some stuff I'd change on it now but I'm allowed to like some of my own songs right? haha)

thebartender- Perfect Safety

Thorbulous- Heights (these last two songs I forgot about until I looked through the albums... who did this song? It's wonderfully done and I don't recognize the username....)

Circus Tent is my favourite of mine too!
And Thorbulous is captainsnazz
Quote by ehbacon
yeah, I don't care that we don't have any votes, I feel really ****ing honored even to have a song considered for the top 10 of the year. Thanks everyone and lets make next year ****ing awesome too

I even had two chances to get votes haha
Wow I'm honoured I got into two personal top 10s

It's been I great year I never thought I would write as many songs as I did and that I would be actually proud of a couple of them

Anyway I'll try to make a top 10 if can, it'll be a great way of reviewing the whole year
I'll have a go at a personal top ten.

A Suspenseful Tomorrow's Eve- chev311e
Ode To Loneliness- wwf
Scattered Poetry- sickman411/semiquaver
Haven't You Seen- chev311e/SirZep
To End It (Damn)- Joshua
Red Drips Through Skyscrapers- Skinny91
Putting It Into Words- Faux
Care 77 bpm- Trifonas
Like Rain- the bartender
Unknown- ehbacon, nico_9550, sickman411
Last edited by FoOltz at Dec 27, 2014,
Quote by sickman411
I Do
It's pretty sad that Spoony doesn't submit very often, because this is a pretty good song. I'm not normally a metal guy, but this was really well done and that chorus is amazing. It really sticks in your head, and I think the lyrics help too. I like how the verses and the pre-choruses are a bit different, it really helps the flow of the song. Very carefully produced too.

You melt my heart, good sir. Perhaps some day we shall share a candle light dinner.

Quote by Trifonas
4. Spoony Bard, if I'm not mistaken, is one of the few that I hadn't heard of again. Well, the song is completely not my style, so I can only be really subjective. It is really tightly produced, but the hard guitars and the choir blended together only bring bad memories of bands I really don't like. However I can see why someone who enjoys this style, could really get this song.

The style is completely intentional. My synth track is simply titled "Cheese". I love that type of stuff. Totally understand how it can turn off folks that aren't already into the style.

Sorry I've been pretty much absent from the group (I did do a cover for one of the cover weeks though, if anyone is interested). I have literally zero time for music making (or anything, to be honest) since my shift changed at work. I do really enjoy the pleasant surprise of popping in here from time to time and seeing more kind words about my song(s). It's always been positive, in general, which always feels great.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦