I've played guitar for around 3 years now and I own an Epiphone SG Special. I'm using a Beta Aivin BM6 amp for now but gonna upgrade to a 40 watt or above SS amp. So far I haven't seen a tube amp in sight in the place I'm living so I really got no choice. Most probably gonna look at the Peavey Vypyrs, Marshall MGs, Fender Mustangs, Roland Cubes and Line 6 Spiders.

So I'm planning on getting a pedal afterwards but don't know to choose whether an OD or Distortion pedal. Money isn't an issue for pedals and I'm looking for a GNR kind of tone. Think November Rain, Sweet Child or Paradise City. I plan to pair the OD/Distortion pedal with the clean channel on my amp.

Honestly, I haven't touched a single pedal in my life so I'm clueless which pedal would suit my taste. What do you guys think?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
You're listing modeling amps which for the most part will fart and buzz badly when you stick overdrive or distortion pedal in front. Maybe with some heavy tweaking they won't...

The Mg is the only one that isn't but that's a huge turd...don't even bother.

How about Vox VT? Check that out, a friend has it and it is not ghastly with little overdrive up front.

Anyway, the idea if modeling amp is to be all in one, so maybe some of these will have od&distorion models you can tweak.

I think you might be better just going blind and ordering a Marshall DSL40C from a catalog.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
You're listing modeling amps which for the most part will fart and buzz badly when you stick overdrive or distortion pedal in front. Maybe with some heavy tweaking they won't...

Anyway, the idea if modeling amp is to be all in one, so maybe some of these will have od&distorion models you can tweak.

+1

No need for pedals in this situation.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by diabolical

How about Vox VT? Check that out, a friend has it and it is hot ghastly with little overdrive up front.

Yea sure I'll try find that at the music store. Also which pedal would suit my taste. OD or Distortion? Thanks btw.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
Vox Valvetronix for blues and hard rock tones.
Peavey Vypyr for hard rock and metal tones.

The Valvetronix takes most OD pedals well.

As to the "OD or Distortion?" question, it depends on the amp you choose, but IMO, an OD would probably be more versatile.
Check out the Boss SD-1 (or something based on it), that design works very well with my AC30.

Avoid the Marshall MG and the Line 6 Spiders like they have AIDS.

I currently own a Peavey Vypyr and have owned a Valvetronix.
For GNR type tones, its a tie IMO.
Also, IMO, the Valvetronix has better cleans.
Quote by diabolical
Well, Slash's tone is an overdriven Marshall jcm800, so in your case the closest you can probably get on budget will be a tubescreamer clone and the DSL amp I listed.

Oh I've heard of some vids about the DSL but right now I'm a student and my parents are totally against me buying anything online
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
Quote by CodeMonk
Vox Valvetronix for blues and hard rock tones.
Peavey Vypyr for hard rock and metal tones.

The Valvetronix takes most OD pedals well.

As to the "OD or Distortion?" question, it depends on the amp you choose, but IMO, an OD would probably be more versatile.
Check out the Boss SD-1 (or something based on it), that design works very well with my AC30.

Avoid the Marshall MG and the Line 6 Spiders like they have AIDS.

I currently own a Peavey Vypyr and have owned a Valvetronix.
For GNR type tones, its a tie IMO.
Also, IMO, the Valvetronix has better cleans.

Okay looks like the Vypyr is more suitable since aside from rock, I play metal and not so much of blues. Thanks but what about the Fender Mustang?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
Quote by Sol1061
Oh I've heard of some vids about the DSL but right now I'm a student and my parents are totally against me buying anything online

Well, ask the local store if they can order it for you. Look up Marshall dealers in your area via their site. That way you're not buying it online and have a port of service. If you don't plan to do shows and concerts, probably even the 15 watt version of this amp will do. Then we can talk overdrives but any tubescreamer clone will do, as long it isn't Behringer

Mustang is OK but kinda sucked on heavy tones.

I'm sticking to the DSL combo suggestion, the ret is really a compromise that won't take you quite there. If the money is OK and only problem is online shopping, get it via their dealer.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by Sol1061
Okay looks like the Vypyr is more suitable since aside from rock, I play metal and not so much of blues. Thanks but what about the Fender Mustang?

The Mustang is more in league with the Valvetronix in your case.
More of a blues/rock sort of amp.
At least from one I've heard.
Never played one myself.
Take your guitar into your local store and ask to try some of the amps and pedals. That way you can at least have an idea of what the various combinations are going to sound like.
Vypyr to my knowledge has an analog preamp modeling circuit so overdrive should work with one unlike digital modelers where overdrive and hot pickups may cause input clipping. However Vypyr already comes with built in tubescreamer modeling so getting separate pedal is quite unnecessary. Unless you want to toy with a real thing, or try something different.

I would buy a Vypyr in your case, highest wattage version you can get. Or Vypyr tube if you can find one used.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 22, 2014,