So a couple of days ago I went to the music shop that stocks boss to try the AC-3 which I did not particularly like as in 30 minutes I got a nice sound but nothing that fancy. While I was there I decided to try the Boss CS-3. Within 5 minutes I got a really nice sound and I realized that I need a compressor.

I used to play with a distorted sound so a compressor was never that useful as the distortion gave me a natural compression to the sound. But lately I've been playing a lot of clean stuff with my new band so a compressor may be useful. Today I went to another shop and tried the MXR Dynacomp and I loved it. Then I asked for the MXR custom comp but they said it is 150% of the dynacomp price and I would have to wait for 3 months to get it.

So I would like to know what do you think of the CS-3 and dynacomp. Also, do you think that the custom comp is actually that better than the dynacomp or is it almost the same?
I don't really like either.
I don't really like compressors in guitar pedals in general really.

The dynacomp I tried didn't impress me at all, and I've never tried a CS-3 myself but the ones I've hear in music shops with other people trying them sounded better to me.
It's a hell of a subjective matter though.

If you're on the cheap, I'd go for the DOD comp reissue, and if you have enough money and want a really natural and gentle compression get an FMR RNC or RNLA.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A friend of mine is an amateur pedal builder, and he gave me one of his, which was switchable between Ross and Dynacomp - the two circuits are very similar. I greatly preferred the warmer tone of the Ross switching. I currently have four compressors, a two knob Behringer, two BYOc models (Opticomp and 5-knob) and a Boss LMB-3. Overall my favourite is the Boss LMB-3, because it has what I see as sensible controls - compression ratio and threshold. The enhance control is also good for adding some life to a dull humbucker. The BYOC 5-knob is a Dynacomp type with tone and mix controls, and I like it well enough, but I still prefer the others, even the very cheap Behringer.
I have a Biyang co-8 compressor I really dig, its quiet, mellow, yet effective. I traded for mine but I think they're pretty cheap. I like it much better than the noisy as hell Boss compressor I had before it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I did really like the dynacomp, when playing a strat through a clean frender HRD. Today I also tried the tube compressor by EHX but its not what I am looking for.
About half the gigs I play are places where I have to play clean and quiet so use a compressor not only to control the volume but to keep the punch and attack in the signal at low volumes. I have a Dynacomp and it works well and I also have the cheap Behringer that also works well but lately I have been using an Alesis Nano compressor. I bought this about 20 years ago and forgot I even had it. It's small and sits on top of my amp and I just set it and leave it on. I only use as much compression as I need to keep my signal strong even when I play softer. I don't know if Alesis even makes these anymore.

As for the Behringer compressors I actually have two. The DC9 is a Dynacomp clone but it sucks the tone from your signal. I bought it sight unseen and after about 10 minutes I put it in my box of pedals that I don't use any longer. The CS400 is pretty good and is less expensive. It doesn't radically changed the tone. You can always update to a more boutique pedal but to get going you might try one.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 23, 2014,
those are classics. i really like the pigtronix philosphers tone.

if you want a "no frills" simple one, i love my fairfield circuitry accountant compressor. 1 knob and some mini toggle switches. its a real simple option 1, option 2, option 3 kinda deal. technically the 2 dip switches have 3 settings, making a lot of combos. but really, you will find 2-3 tones you like and i basically have "quick presets" on it. when i want more squish, flip da switch. done. i love it for that reason.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
To me the script dyna comp sounded nice. If you go used, the Keeley 2-knob compressor is a great comp too.

EDIT: Used to own script dyna, currently own the keeley 2 knob.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
im addicted to my dynacomp , its an always on thing for me.
i play finger style and it realy helps kinda tighten up everything i play
I tried the dynacomp and loved it. They hand no custom comp in stock and I would like to see if it is an improvement over the traditional dynacomp. I liked the tone change and character of the dynacomp, if custom comp is too transparent I may go for the dynacomp.