Hey

I got a floyd rose from China and I was thinking about modding it so it can actually stay in tune. I figured the nut wasnt the problem. So I think if I get new saddles it should keep it in tune? Or is it the fine tuners?
Saddles usually aren't the problem. The main problem with cheaptastic Chinese Floyds is the knife edges. The Chinese use cheaper and lower quality raw materials for the production which makes for much softer knife edges. Whenever you use the wammy bar it creates a lot more friction at the studs so it doesn't stay in tune. Change your baseplate with the knife edges AND the studs themselves if you really want to improve anything. Main problem is that you might as well get yourself a Gotoh or Schaller Floyd for that price, prob'ly.
^ that's what i'd have thought
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've sold more floyd roses then I can recall and without being a musician not a supplier or anything here's some insight. If the china floyd rose on the block looks like it has teeth make it disappear as quick as possible. I despise working with them. I'm far from a snob who it has to be german but here's some tips/insight.

honestly I'd switch the entire bridge. Try the floyd rose 1000 tremolo. It's made in Korea to the same specifications as a German floyd rose but about 100$ cheaper. It's made of hardened steel which the guitar will stay in tune much longer, longer life out of the guitar bridge then some cheap weightless zinc parts. Because it's a heavier metal more volume, tone and the naughty S word sustain every idiot who thinks they know guitars accentuates on soley.

other upgrades to consider
grover or any other 18:1 guitar tuners - need help finding them send me a private message
a piezo ghost saddle system if you want an acoustic pickup in your floyd (expensive)
a brass big block - way more volume and tone (30 USD give or take, super easy to install)
floyd upgrades has a lot of cool mods and upgrades to floyd roses by the way
I wouldn't class it as snobby to want a guitar to stay in tune when it's used as it's meant to be lol.

As above though, base plate and studs are where the problem lies. If the rest of the guitar is good as in feels nice etc then I would consider upgrading to a proper schaller or similar, often the guitar is cheap because of these cheap parts being used but otherwise they can often be very good in build.
yeah in that case two options come to mind. Either the ...
!)- special floyd rose - steel base plate - everything else is zinc - kind of overpriced in my opinion.

2)- the 1000 series floyd rose - it's close to a german schaller one. On ebay these go for around 100$ but the company selling them replaces the blocks in them to keep costs down. Everything else checks out on them. I took 2 or 3 of them apart from ebay compared to ones that came factory on guitars I modded

the good news is both are made in Korea. Specials about 50-60$ american dollar on ebay. The 1000 is about 100$ and both come with free shipping. Never paid import charges or duty fees from any of the sellers either. However if you never use the fine tuners a german schaller one without fine tuners is roughly 140$ (US dollars). I'm not sure which suppliers sell them but it's always an option.

this site comes in handy for mods to floyd roses by the way
http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/
I'd have to second Tallwood13 -

Floyd Rose used to source the OFR that went to major manufacturers like Gibson and Fender from two Korean production lines. You could buy the exact same FR (without the OFR stamping on the base plate) on guitars costing as little as $350. They were the same, right down to some distinctive tooling marks.

The Schaller-produced OFR was mostly reserved for aftermarket bubble packs and for small builders. At some point I believe Suhr switched to Gotohs and liked them better (something to do with the arm setup).

I've been putting the Fu-Tone brass big blocks on everything lately. I tried a couple of the other blocks (titanium, tungsten) and vastly prefer the brass. Haven't tried copper, don't have plans to. The bigger block changes the feel of the trem (more inertia), but I think it's smoother. It changes the sound slightly, and I think it's for the better. And the extra couple of ounces it adds to the body will change the balance of the guitar slightly (helps with guitars that are a bit neck-heavy).

I have the Graphtech Ghost (LB-163) Floyd setup in one guitar, but I'm not at all sure it's worth the money simply to have an acoustic-ish sound. Mine is in a Variax JTV-89F, and the piezos feed all that Variax electronic guitar modeling gear. And THAT is worth having. In fact, I'm using that guitar SO much that I'm picking up another as a backup. That said, the Floyd used in the Graphtech system is, I believe, a Schaller.
^ There was a big post by Suhr a while back about why he stopped using the OFRs- I think he thought the QC had gone down the drain. Now, of course he's going to big-up how good the trem he's now using is, so to a certain extent I'd take what he says with a pinch of salt, but at the same time I think I've heard complaints about the Schaller-made OFR for a while. (Though I'd still prefer one to most other Floyds Just in niceness of use- I'm no tech.)

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317329#p317329

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317453#p317453

(obviously that thread is from a while back, so might not be current info)

The big problem with the Korean one you suggested is I think it's OEM-only. I don't think they sell it retail. Granted, I imagine you could pick up a second-hand one fairly easily, but new from a retailer you seem (at least officially ) to be only able to get the Special (which is a bit worse, at least on paper- I haven't tried it) or the Schaller-made OFR.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

The big problem with the Korean one you suggested is I think it's OEM-only. I don't think they sell it retail.

That's correct. But it still comes off those two Korean production lines, and those lines produce NON Floyd-Rose *branded* trems just as they used to. And they're identical to the ones that Floyd Rose sells except for the name stamping. I pulled one off an Agile a short time ago (replaced it with a Schaller that I had on the shelf because I was changing the color of everything hardware on the guitar).
^ Ah, I figured there might be some way round it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
42mm Big Block on my OFR equipped 1993 MIJ Jackson King V Professional courtesy of FU Tone as well as the brass claw and screws, trem stopper and noiseless springs!

Hard to tell from the lighting but this bad boy actually protrudes from the back of my guitar (I don't care it's my hot rod and I lost the rear cover years ago) and the shadows make it look like the movement is restricted but that's just the lighting it moves just fine.

The front side is upgraded as well with hardened stainless saddle mounting and locking screws with titanium saddle blocks also form FU Tone!

This pick is after the modded trem was freshly installed before intonation was set.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge