I recently bumped in an interesting offer of a local music store. They have a Vintage V100WR for sale for €199 ($244)!! The guitar is 2nd hand (it got traded in) but according to them it's in perfect condition. As I always had my eyes open for a humbucker equipped guitar I might be interested.

I've read some good stories about the Vintage V100 series in the past and they still seem great guitars for the money. However, I have some questions. The WR version is equipped with mini humbuckers in contrary to the 'regular' humbucker equipped version. As I'm not able to compare the different models: What could be the difference in sound between them?

I want to be able to achieve sounds in the spirit of Gary Moore, Santana, B.B. King, etc. I have the feeling I couldn't go wrong for that price. I'm probably able to sell without making a loss if I don't like it.

Thoughts?
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Dec 22, 2014,
Mini HB's are not as hot as a a full sized HB. Since your going for more of a vintage feel, they would probably work just fine. But try it first
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Mini HB's are not as hot as a a full sized HB. Since your going for more of a vintage feel, they would probably work just fine. But try it first

Yeah obviously I need to try it first. I've seen some reviews/videos of the mini humbucker version but most videos are about full humbucker versions.
mini humbuckers will work fine for what you want. while not meant for modern metal or super high gain tones for classic rock/blues they'll work just fine. Thin Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham used mini humbucker equipped Les Pauls to great effect in the 70s. I have a Vintage SG copy and it's a really nice guitar.
Quote by monwobobbo
mini humbuckers will work fine for what you want. while not meant for modern metal or super high gain tones for classic rock/blues they'll work just fine. Thin Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham used mini humbucker equipped Les Pauls to great effect in the 70s. I have a Vintage SG copy and it's a really nice guitar.

I'm not a metal or super high gain guy so that should work out ok! Can you describe the neck of your SG?
Quote by GuitarL91
I'm not a metal or super high gain guy so that should work out ok! Can you describe the neck of your SG?

the SG has the 61/62 style neck which is very thin. the guitar is totally patterned after the original SG specs. I prefer this to the later fat necks found on later SGs. soundwise with stock pickups it's a little on the dark side but a couple of amp tone adjustments fixes that. overall a great guitar for the money (bought mine used for $150.
that's not that cheap if it's used. at times i've seen them new for not much more (maybe not recently though).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's not that cheap if it's used. at times i've seen them new for not much more (maybe not recently though).

yup. quick search shows that thomanns has it for 322 E (sorry no euro sign). if it's in mint condition then that is a discount but not a steal.
According to their description I have to compare it with a Thomann B-stock. So that way it's not that expensive? At least it's not a real bad deal?
^^ and bear in mind, at least last time I checked, thomann wasn't the cheapest for vintage (brand, not old) stuff. it's a UK-based brand, so is normally cheapest within the UK. (Plus thomann has the non-WR V100 for 289 euros if minihumbuckers aren't needed.)

^ you're getting it for between 50-70% of the current going rate, which normally isn't bad, I think. especially if it's in really good condition. but it's probably not within "killer deal" territory, either.

Just so you know- I don't want you to buy it thinking it's an amazing deal if it's not. But it's a decent deal, especially if it's in good condition, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@ Dave_Mc

Yeah I probably exaggerated a little bit, I got too excited. I live in Holland so prices here are different compared to for example the UK tho.

How is the quality of the Vintage compared to the PRS SE range?
Quote by GuitarL91
@ Dave_Mc

Yeah I probably exaggerated a little bit, I got too excited. I live in Holland so prices here are different compared to for example the UK tho.

I'd give the QC to the PRS. Vintage are on par with Epiphone guitars that are ~2x the price of the Vintage you are looking at (or that is what I have heard from the guys in the UK/Europe)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I read multiple statements about the Vintage being on par with the PRS SE series (and better than Epi's). But in all honesty I don't believe it (yet?) because I'm familiar with the SE series (I have a PRS SE EG and my dad has a PRS SE single cut) and they are just killer guitars. It doesn't look realistic to expect the same quality of Vintage guitars for way less money...

I have to get my hands on one and judge it myself . Fun stuff!
Vintage is very hard to find in the US so I only have the one guitar to go by. my VS6 (SG copy) is a really well built guitar with no apparent flaws. fretwork was good and the finish is excellent. this guitar was on display in my living room and got tons of compliments (sadly a little accident happened so back upstairs. nothing real bad but I'm not taking chances). the PRS se series are very nice guitars but I guess i'll point out more expensive as well. plays well and compares decently with what it copies. not as good as an actual 61 style SG but will do just fine. the hardware and pickups are good quality as well. definitely comparable to Epiphone and honestly I greatly prefer this guitar to the G-400.
Having just picked up a vintage V100 second hand I'd have to say the QC is fantastic, I've had genuine LP's, a special and standard and I honestly prefer this vintage! I know, mad but it's true. The neck is nicer for me.

Anyway just popped in a set of seymour duncan custom 59's, this thing is superb, it's really the icing on the cake so to speak.

I got mine for a £120 UK (the guitar) UK price is about £260 new.
Quote by Twidler
Having just picked up a vintage V100 second hand I'd have to say the QC is fantastic, I've had genuine LP's, a special and standard and I honestly prefer this vintage! I know, mad but it's true. The neck is nicer for me.

Anyway just popped in a set of seymour duncan custom 59's, this thing is superb, it's really the icing on the cake so to speak.

I got mine for a £120 UK (the guitar) UK price is about £260 new.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't really dive into much details yet, so correct me if I'm wrong, but is the neck way slimmer than LP necks? It's probably closer to the slim taper neck than the fat necks, but how slim is the neck?
It's slimmer from front to back for sure, doing a rough measurement I'd say about 21.5mm at the nut and about 22.5mm up the neck. I'm having to clamp my calliper over the strings then try and take out the string thickness lol.

I measure about 42mm across at the nut and about 56mm at the 22nd fret too.
Quote by Twidler
It's slimmer from front to back for sure, doing a rough measurement I'd say about 21.5mm at the nut and about 22.5mm up the neck. I'm having to clamp my calliper over the strings then try and take out the string thickness lol.

I measure about 42mm across at the nut and about 56mm at the 22nd fret too.

Thanks again! I'm gonna visit a music store when I'm feeling better!
Quote by GuitarL91
@ Dave_Mc

No worries. Yeah for Holland that's probably a decent enough deal.

I haven't tried the V100, so I can't help there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tom 1.0
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/preowned_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-NE15JE10360

I reckon they would ship to you and still work out cheaper.

That's an SG, thanks for looking around for me tho I appreciate it! So if you find a V100 don't hesitate to share it.

£125 is around €160 and then is shipping still excluded. So €199 ain't that bad, giving me also the opportunity to play the guitar and judge it before I buy it.

But thanks again!!
I think sometimes the being able to actually try the guitar out and see it in person can sometimes be worth the extra. In every brand there's still often better ones than others.
Quote by Twidler
I think sometimes the being able to actually try the guitar out and see it in person can sometimes be worth the extra. In every brand there's still often better ones than others.

I totally agree. That's why I prefer buying instruments at a music store over the internet. They allow you to actually play and compare instruments. That's a service they provide and worth some money so I don't have much problems paying a little extra for that.