I have a line6 spider IV 15watt amp
recently i have bought a metal muff distortion pedal so i can switch to distortion from the clean channel at a click of a footswitch.
however when i do this the distortion goes all electrical and muffly.

is there a problem with the distortion pedal or is it just that my amp is bad?
hard to say from your description. set the amp to a clean channel. then set pedal, start at 0 on the volume knob of the pedal and keep turning it up until the pedal on volume is the same as the amp volume or a little higher. set the tone controls to taste and don't go nuts with the distortion knob. if there is still an issue then maybe a better description of what is happening will help to solve the issue.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Dec 22, 2014,
It's a digital modelling amp. It wants to hear the completely clean high impedance signal from your guitar. The poor little thing is confused.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
It's a digital modelling amp. It wants to hear the completely clean high impedance signal from your guitar. The poor little thing is confused.

this could be it as well. modelers often don't play nice with pedals. try what I mentioned and if that doesn't work then this may be the issue.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar

i have bought a metal muff distortion pedal
...the distortion goes all electrical and muffly.

You can dial in 4 presets right? so couldn't you dial in a nice clean (on the clean preset) and at the tap of the footswitch go into your crunch, metal, or insane setting without even using the muff?

My suggestion: throw the muff in on the crunch setting. Use the drive at 2 or 3, for a little bit of push and the metal muff will be the distortion source. Dial back the treble and mids, but don't scoop them.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar

so i can switch to distortion from the clean channel at a click of a footswitch.

As others have said, it is a modeling amp and they don't always like pedals. What I would do is return the pedal and buy a foot switch for your amp (the line6 site says that there are compatible foot switches.). Then you could still have control of the clean/crunch sound.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
recently i have bought a metal muff distortion pedal so i can switch to distortion from the clean channel at a click of a footswitch. however when i do this the distortion goes all electrical and muffly.

ist that just how muffs sound?

But yeah, It's probably the amp. modelers tend not to like pedals.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by Jeffh40
As others have said, it is a modeling amp and they don't always like pedals. What I would do is return the pedal and buy a foot switch for your amp (the line6 site says that there are compatible foot switches.). Then you could still have control of the clean/crunch sound.

+1 I didn't even consider that they might not have a footswitch

A footswitch for your amp would be the best start
i have also a boss rc-30 loop station which i bought about a month ago. but when i record some chords on the clean channel then switch to the leads on the metal channel it adds distortion to the chords aswell. since the spider iv doesn't have an fx loop i decided to use distortion from a pedal before the looper. so i could record chords on the clean channel and use the pedal to play leads over
yes the amp has 4 pre-sets clean, crunch, metal and insane

i tried the muff on the clean and crunch pre-sets but the muff sounds all fake and electrical

also i have tried using it on my practice amp and the metal muff pedal sounded much more normal than my line 6 amp
Quote by BUZZARD__
You can dial in 4 presets right? so couldn't you dial in a nice clean (on the clean preset) and at the tap of the footswitch go into your crunch, metal, or insane setting without even using the muff?

My suggestion: throw the muff in on the crunch setting. Use the drive at 2 or 3, for a little bit of push and the metal muff will be the distortion source. Dial back the treble and mids, but don't scoop them.

yes the amp has 4 pre-sets clean, crunch, metal and insane

i tried the muff on the clean and crunch pre-sets but the muff sounds all fake and electrical

also i have tried using it on my practice amp and the metal muff pedal sounded much more normal than my line 6 amp
Quote by Jeffh40

not from what the many demos ive seen for the pedal. when i use mine its sounds really electrical/digital and fake
Quote by BUZZARD__
+1 I didn't even consider that they might not have a footswitch

A footswitch for your amp would be the best start

+1 The footswitch will help.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
You say the pedal sounds better on your other amp, implying it must be an issue with the line-6. It could be. We don't really know, because we don't know the exact pedal, it's settings, or the settings you're using on the amp.

In my eyes it could be:

1) bad pedal - probably isn't because you say it sounds better on your other amp
2) bad power supply - above
3) your amp - I'm assuming it sounds fine on all modes without the pedals?
4) user error - not as bad as it sounds, but perhaps it's a combination of the settings you're using IE: tell us the settings your using
5) just not a good combo - this one is very likely. If you've ever heard people say in the forums "that amp doesn't take to pedals well," yeah this is what they're talking about.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
not from what the many demos ive seen for the pedal. when i use mine its sounds really electrical/digital and fake

ok tried hard to resist but your Line 6 amp is junk to begin with. it is digital so what do you expect. there is no way a pedal will turn it into an awesome sounding metal machine. your amp is an inexpensive practice amp with a tiny speaker it's never going to sound any better. sorry.

I used a metal muff through a tube amp for a couple of years and it sounded really good so I know it's not the pedal. the pedal costs as much as the amp think about it.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar

Your problem right there. These amps don't play well with others
The long explanation is that it is a modeling amp so with some heavy tweaking on a clean sound you might be able to squeeze something passable.
See if you can connect through the line in 1/8 input next to the master volume on the far right, thus bypassing the preamp circuit which on the amp is beyond reprehensible.
Quote by BUZZARD__
You say the pedal sounds better on your other amp, implying it must be an issue with the line-6. It could be. We don't really know, because we don't know the exact pedal, it's settings, or the settings you're using on the amp.

In my eyes it could be:

1) bad pedal - probably isn't because you say it sounds better on your other amp
2) bad power supply - above
3) your amp - I'm assuming it sounds fine on all modes without the pedals?
4) user error - not as bad as it sounds, but perhaps it's a combination of the settings you're using IE: tell us the settings your using
5) just not a good combo - this one is very likely. If you've ever heard people say in the forums "that amp doesn't take to pedals well," yeah this is what they're talking about.

on the amp i have everything at noon and everything a noon on the pedal ive tried on the clean channel and the crunch channel but it sounds the same. even if i put all the setting on max it dosent even add much more distortion.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok tried hard to resist but your Line 6 amp is junk to begin with. it is digital so what do you expect. there is no way a pedal will turn it into an awesome sounding metal machine. your amp is an inexpensive practice amp with a tiny speaker it's never going to sound any better. sorry.

I used a metal muff through a tube amp for a couple of years and it sounded really good so I know it's not the pedal. the pedal costs as much as the amp think about it.

yeah the pedal sound well on my other practice amp. i think its time to buy a better amp. any suggestions?
That's just what a Line 6 Spider sounds like when you put something like a Metal Muff in front of it.

Whatever tone you were expecting to get from the amp, it was probably way too ambitious.

Dump the amp.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
yeah the pedal sound well on my other practice amp. i think its time to buy a better amp. any suggestions?

I'm assuming you probably want a modern high-gain tone like a Peavey 6505, but you cannot afford one and you want a load of other sounds to mess with to boot? Get a Peavey Vypyr. At least 30 watts because the 30 watt ones are the smallest size that has a 12" speaker. Anything less than that and you'll have to make do with a smaller speaker, which sucks.

I'd honestly not bother using the Metal Muff whatsoever. I just don't like that pedal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 23, 2014,