I'm not that bad for a rhythm guitar player but i want to be able to shred
Ther are millions of lesons n the intenet so that's a bit confusing
So .. Would you recommend any specific daily exercise ?
Should i just strart playing any fast solo really slow and with I'll get better ?
Thanks in advance
If you download a free app in itunes called 'scribd' and search Paul Gilbert there's a book called Shred Alert which has Exercises, also search Zakk wylde and Steve Vai, there's the 10 hour a day practice routine by Steve vai! Also look up Paul Gilbert lesson and Pebber Brown videos on YouTube. Also check out this http://guitarsnap.online.fr

You want to start really slow like start on 50bpm and work up slowly and make sure every note is perfect. And keep movement to a minimum. Like when you lift your fingers off the fretboard keep them close for the next note , same for the picking hand. And keep relax make sure there's no tension anywhere.
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Dec 22, 2014,
Or to simply boil it down instead of x numbers of places to go pickup Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina and get serious. It covers all and is the holy grail of instructions on the subject of shred unless you take the Pebber Brown course and have the time.
Quote by Guitar137335
If you download a free app in itunes called 'scribd' and search Paul Gilbert there's a book called Shred Alert which has Exercises, also search Zakk wylde and Steve Vai, there's the 10 hour a day practice routine by Steve vai! Also look up Paul Gilbert lesson and Pebber Brown videos on YouTube. Also check out this http://guitarsnap.online.fr

You want to start really slow like start on 50bpm and work up slowly and make sure every note is perfect. And keep movement to a minimum. Like when you lift your fingers off the fretboard keep them close for the next note , same for the picking hand. And keep relax make sure there's no tension anywhere.

Guitarsnap seems very straightforward guess I'll just rely on it for a while
Thanks man

Thanks to any other replies too
At first, I resisted. I wanted to become proficient fast!
Then, I tried playing scales slowly, and for every seven times I did so, I tried to significantly speed up. A miracle!
But the miracle didn't last. So I went back to playing slowly.
It was an ironic circumstance: The faster I played, the more tense and cramped my fret-hand became, feeling as though it might actually freeze up. So playing faster began to slow me down.
I soon noticed that I was actually giving myself time to feel the fretboard, my fingertips on the strings, the various contortions my smallish fret-hand was gradually twisting into the faster I played, etc. I found ways to control my hand, so it would be more relaxed the faster I played. The aforementioned habit of keeping my fingertips as close to the fretboard at all times really helped a lot, too. It really opened my eyes.
Now, at times, I can just peel off a scale very quickly. But I'm sure I'll always devote much of my practice time to playing slowly.
"The more slowly you practice, the more quickly you progress."
How true.
Last edited by pointnplink at Dec 22, 2014,
You need the right things in order to master shred!

Legato
Single string
Cross string
Leading with an up stroke
Outside and inside picking
The list goes on and that is why a good old fashioned book Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina is the only thing to go for unless you get into the jungle of other options where you might ending up not getting the full license to shred.

Your hands cramp up etc.

No what I did was just get into SM which I had had since 1993 or so and got to practise from ex 1 on a serious level. Pretty soon it took of and the Yngwie song was not that hard to get down at all and it is still pretty easy to pull it off without a warm up first.
A good way to practice playing fast is to learn a song by a shred-meister.

If you have GuitarPro get a tab of one of Paul Gilbert's songs and learn it bar by bar. Then work it up to speed over time.