Hi

Will cut staright to it.

I used to play indie kinda stuff (telecaster, vox kinda sound) but have moved on to heavier 'grunge' and alternative rock. I bought a Laney VC30 in around June whch has given me endless problems and has broken again. I also have an Orange SS 35 watt amp which has broken as well. I want a new amp which is valve and reliable which can also do my sound better than either of these ever did.

I generally went for a clean tone on the Laney and just added gain from pedals. My pedalboard is basically a Big Muff, DS-2, SD-1, A delay, a chorus (both through fx loop) and a phaser plus an EVH Crybaby which I just used for noise.

My guitars are a Gibson Les Paul, An old Squier Strat based Partscaster which I'm fixing up to sound awesome, an Epiphone Es-339 which I use for any acoustic tracks that come up (think Nirvana's Polly or Wytches' Crying Clown) so that's kinda a must. Also looking at getting a Boss AC pedal soon. I also am hopefully getting a Fender offset in the next few weeks (fingers crossed Jagstang).

So I'm looking for a reliable amp which can get my kinda tone and takes effects well.

My budget is basically around £75 plus whatever I can get for my Lasney once fixed (£250 or so) and whatever I can get for my Orange for parts or fixed depending on cost (£50 or so probably) so haven't got shit tons to spend but grunge is all about playing wioth what you got. Will go used and am locatedin UK.

Was looking at the Micro Terror and getting a Marshall Cab but lack of clean headroom and FX loop worries me as I mainly use a fast delay and fuzz combination as my base tone.

Am looking for some advice on this, I play through my amp everyday at home but also take it out to practises and hope to take it to the occasional gig probably in a small venue.

Cheers

P.S I'm not a Kurt nut, I write my own stuff and want to get my own tone, I just like the look of Jagstangs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Peavey Classic 30. If you can find a good priced used one, get it. They are great all-around amp. Plus, you have enough pedals to push it in any direction you want it to go.

Cheers!!
The big problem is you can't absolutely guarantee that stuff won't break. However, if it's a big concern I'd err towards getting something new- at least that way you have a warranty. Some of the bigger shops like Thomann etc. have an extended (free) warranty of 3 years so that might be worth considering (though if they happened to go out of business then it wouldn't be worth anything, but if you're paying the same price you might as well, I figure).

There was also talk about the consumer law changing at some point in the near(ish) future, so that if something broke which you bought new, after a month you only had to put up with one repair and then you were entitled to a refund (so you didn't have to keep getting things repaired ad nauseum). But I'm not sure exactly when that's coming in (and if you need an amp now it's not much help).

I don't really play much grunge. I'm tempted to say a jet city, though as usual thomann is out of stock of the combos... plus i've heard of some jet cities having problems too (i think trashed had a couple of bad ones). Then again at that price point, from what i hear, jet city is about as good as it gets (assuming you want tube, which is your call).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
The big problem is you can't absolutely guarantee that stuff won't break. However, if it's a big concern I'd err towards getting something new- at least that way you have a warranty. Some of the bigger shops like Thomann etc. have an extended (free) warranty of 3 years so that might be worth considering (though if they happened to go out of business then it wouldn't be worth anything, but if you're paying the same price you might as well, I figure).

There was also talk about the consumer law changing at some point in the near(ish) future, so that if something broke which you bought new, after a month you only had to put up with one repair and then you were entitled to a refund (so you didn't have to keep getting things repaired ad nauseum). But I'm not sure exactly when that's coming in (and if you need an amp now it's not much help).

I don't really play much grunge. I'm tempted to say a jet city, though as usual thomann is out of stock of the combos... plus i've heard of some jet cities having problems too (i think trashed had a couple of bad ones). Then again at that price point, from what i hear, jet city is about as good as it gets (assuming you want tube, which is your call).

Yeah I looked at Jet City amps in detail but most don't offer a clean channel so I'd be screwed for acoustic stuff.

And yeah I've had my fair share of trips to the repair shop which really tempts me to get head + cab so that I don't have to replace the whole thing if something was to go wrong.

Thanks for the replies

Kinda surprised to hear that about Laney - my VC30 has been going a few years with no issues. I've always considered them to be a fairly reliable brand. (I haven't had any issues with my Jet City either, but that only gets occasional use so ymmv).

That said, for the money you'll be spending I don't think you'll get much that we can say for sure would be any better, buying new for the warranty is probably the only option.

Personally I'd avoid the Micro Terror, IMO its more of a toy/ornament than it is an amp.

Considering your budget, for reliability & all the sounds you want what about getting a decent powered monitor & a multi effect unit? The Zoom G3 or one of the Line 6 range would be good investments & can be had used for very little money.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Kinda surprised to hear that about Laney - my VC30 has been going a few years with no issues. I've always considered them to be a fairly reliable brand. (I haven't had any issues with my Jet City either, but that only gets occasional use so ymmv).

That said, for the money you'll be spending I don't think you'll get much that we can say for sure would be any better, buying new for the warranty is probably the only option.

Personally I'd avoid the Micro Terror, IMO its more of a toy/ornament than it is an amp.

Considering your budget, for reliability & all the sounds you want what about getting a decent powered monitor & a multi effect unit? The Zoom G3 or one of the Line 6 range would be good investments & can be had used for very little money.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'm not necessarily looking for better than the Laney tbh, it has great tone but the costs I'm paying out for fixing it are becoming too much to keep it tbh. It's an older model so I was warned it was unreliable before I bought it and now regret it tbh.

And I've actually just sold a Zoom G5 purely based on personal preference that I like a good old fashioned guitar to pedalboard to amp combination plus I try to stay away from digital gear.

Believe it or not, the Zoom I had also crapped out on me more than a few times.

I guess I'm just unlucky because I honestly take good care of my gear.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Yeah I looked at Jet City amps in detail but most don't offer a clean channel so I'd be screwed for acoustic stuff.

And yeah I've had my fair share of trips to the repair shop which really tempts me to get head + cab so that I don't have to replace the whole thing if something was to go wrong.

Thanks for the replies

The Jet City JCA5212 is a mid gain 2 channel 2x12 combo that is based off the Soldano Lucky 13 (which is perfect to do what you want.

Sorry about the VC30 problems you've had, they are typically nice amps and I know I was one of the people who suggested it when you were looking, so yeah sorry all the crap has happened.

Since your in the UK, look for the Framus Ruby Riot they are great amps for what you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmHBar-zYs&feature=player_detailpage

It comes in a head version also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljI7e-MTNxg&feature=player_detailpage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 22, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Jet City JCA5212 is a mid gain 2 channel 2x12 combo that is based off the Soldano Lucky 13 (which is perfect to do what you want.

Sorry about the VC30 problems you've had, they are typically nice amps and I know I was one of the people who suggested it when you were looking, so yeah sorry all the crap has happened.

Since your in the UK, look for the Framus Ruby Riot they are great amps for what you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmHBar-zYs&feature=player_detailpage

It comes in a head version also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljI7e-MTNxg&feature=player_detailpage

Ah cheers.

Any idea where I could get one of those (and whether I could even afford one?)

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Ah cheers.

Any idea where I could get one of those (and whether I could even afford one?)

Well I'm not sure if they are discontinued(JCA5212) but they have not been available lately even in the US. For the Framus, you'd probably have to go used with your budget, they run $1000ish here used so I'm sure they are not exactly cheap used in your area. I'd try Gumtree or other used sites.

hell, you may want to look at a used Vox AC15/30 depending on your budget, or the Vox TB18 if you want a more "fender" type tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Are you sure you're not giving up on the Laney too soon? Maybe its a quick repair away from lasting you a lifetime? Is it really a lost cause? If there's a lot of stuff breaking around you, are you sure its the stuff and not you? It's common for a piece of gear to malfunction from time to time but if everything you buy is malfunctioning... . Wait, are you playing in the shower?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I think it's due to me often buying cheap used and thinking I've got a bargain but in reality there's some issues which aren't specified.

^ That's the problem with used. I'm very wary of going used myself as well- whereas a lot of the other regulars have no problem with it. If you've had a ton of problems going used, it might be more sensible (assuming you can afford something decent which will do what you want) to try new for once, just to see if you get more joy out of it.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean

Thanks for the replies

Yeah. As robbgnarly said, there's the 2x12 combo version which is more aimed at cleans etc. (but I haven't tried it). 2x12 combos are really heavy (weight I mean) and bulky generally, though, so you'd need to bear that in mind. They're not much fun to move about.

I don't know if they're discontinued or just out of stock. I didn't hear of them being discontinued, but I could be wrong. Thomann just seems to sell out of (all of) the jet city combos pretty quickly, it's just a matter of checking thomann every so often. The UK jet city store has it in stock, but I think (can't remember for sure, and it's off the thomann site) thomann was a bit cheaper, but I could be wrong.

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca5212rc/

Jet city has a lower gain 20 watt head coming out around the new year I think- the 20HV. It's only single channel, though, but it might be more aimed at what you want, especially if you're mainly using pedals for distortion anyway.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca20hv.htm

Regarding the tiny terror, I could be wrong, but I think I've seen some decent (new) deals on the handwired version recently, so that might be worth considering if it's only slightly more than the non-handwired version (they seemed to be blowing them out ). Again, you only have one channel, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?