Page 1 of 2
At what point in your life did you feel like "Yes, I am an adult now". Does it ever happen or are we always going to feel self doubt and naivety and unsureness in things?

Like, when you're a kid and the adults around you seemed so sure of what they were doing, they never showed any doubt. do you ever go through a new experience without feeling any doubt and being 100% confident in something, or are you always gonna feel a bit young at heart?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Same I still go to London and worry too much about getting on the wrong train when I can navigate the London Underground with my eyes closed

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
28 and still waiting for that moment
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I think it was about the time I realised everyone is just winging it too.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Same I still go to London and worry too much about getting on the wrong train when I can navigate the London Underground with my eyes closed

Piccadilly and District lines or gtfo
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
By your definition of being an adult, probably never.

By my own understanding of the word, probably when I was about 14 or 15.
on topic it has never happened to me and I doubt it will

#BabyJoelandtheLostBoys
Hasn't happened yet, but when I'm done with school and start a real job I think I might feel different.
Quote by Baby Joel
Piccadilly and District lines or gtfo

Circle Central and Hammersmith and City lines m88

adulthood is p lame
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
i started to think for myself and really feel that i could actually do what i wanted to do at around 23, but not really feeling "adult" yet.

Im 32.
When I realized I can eat candy for breakfast and no one can stop me.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I feel I became an adult when I achieved my first erection.

What a proud day :')
ayy lmao
Every morning bro. I'm all like, there's my dick that I use to make love with. Holy shit, I just made money and i'm all like "damn that's cool" and then I gotta pay things that I need to spend the money with and then i'm all like "awww". My body changed a lot, keeps changing, growing, stretching, different coloring, new and different paining, and much more!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
What exactly is considered adulthood? Financial success? Having a job? Education? Learning how to not be a knob? Starting a family? Being sexually active? A state of mind?

It doesn't matter which definition it is for me tho cause none of them apply lol
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
What exactly is considered adulthood? Financial success? Having a job? Education? Learning how to not be a knob? Starting a family? Being sexually active? A state of mind?

It doesn't matter which definition it is for me tho cause none of them apply lol

same here woooo
If you're never unsure of things you're an idiot, and that really doesn't have anything to do with being an adult or not.

I felt kinda grown up when I had to by my own christmas present last year, 'cause nobody else would.
Then I'm feeling pretty grown up today 'cause police questioned me and I handled it nicely.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by RylanThePotato
What exactly is considered adulthood? Financial success?

No, many adults are poor.

Having a job?

No, teenagers and dependents can have jobs, adults can be unemployed.

Education?

Nope, many adults are sadly without an education.

Learning how to not be a knob?

Adults can be as much of a knob than the rest of it.

Starting a family?

Maybe it's this? But many adults don't have families, so doubtful.

Being sexually active?

No way

A state of mind?

I suppose it could be this. A feeling of maturity, self confidence, like you are in control of your life. But who is completely in control of their life? We all experience doubt over some things, it's impossible to be 100% self confident.

It's so weird.

Quote by Spambot_2
If you're never unsure of things you're an idiot, and that really doesn't have anything to do with being an adult or not.

Na-ah!!
Is being an adult faking self-confidence and tricking everyone else into thinking you are 100% sure of your convictions?

You're only as young (or as old) as you feel.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
so we (americans, at the very least) used to hand out adulthood based on rites of passage. there are many problems our generation is facing that others did not which has led to widespread rejection of more traditional values and diminishment or outright dismissal of a lot of rites of passage. lacking any solid markers of adulthood, we have tried to ascribe it to a variety of merits like self-confidence or financial responsibility and so on. if you don't know what makes an adult, that's fine, neither do i, who cares. we've got bigger problems with our generation than how to rank one another.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I suppose it could be this. A feeling of maturity, self confidence, like you are in control of your life. But who is completely in control of their life? We all experience doubt over some things, it's impossible to be 100% self confident.

It's so weird.

Adults have lived enough to know that you are rarely in control of your life. Many things are outside of our control.
Quote by bradulator

Quote by Eastwinn
so we (americans, at the very least) used to hand out adulthood based on rites of passage. there are many problems our generation is facing that others did not which has led to widespread rejection of more traditional values and diminishment or outright dismissal of a lot of rites of passage. lacking any solid markers of adulthood, we have tried to ascribe it to a variety of merits like self-confidence or financial responsibility and so on. if you don't know what makes an adult, that's fine, neither do i, who cares. we've got bigger problems with our generation than how to rank one another.

That's an interesting point. Traditional adulthood seemed defined by financial independence, moving out and getting your own place, paying for yourself in the world. However from a British perspective, that is extremely unlikely to happen. If you don't go to uni, you go to a low paid job and work your way up the chain, living with your parents until you have enough money to move out, but that may be in your mid-20s until you're fully financially independent. Going to university just could be delaying adulthood even more - you move out sure but to live in this weird bubble of not-quite-adulthood-yet, and most people will have to move back in with their parents after, similar to school leavers. Gaps years and masters contribute even more to this.

With property becoming ever harder to buy, financial gloom, marriage age becoming later, many couples putting off kids until their 30s, and retirement ages being pushed back even later, people are becoming adults less and less, and trying to make the most of being an adolescent before the dull reality of life sets in.

I don't know what defines an adult, but I think my peers are more grown-up than I am. Having a job and being self-sufficient wouldn't make me feel like an adult, but it would be a huge step in that direction.
A lot of gray area here. I've known kids who were 14 and were more of an adult than some who were 50.

I like to think it's the moment you realize that it's not all about you; that your decisions affect, either negatively or positively, those around you AND your self-awareness of the fact leads you to apply some form ethics to make a decision that benefits those who may depend on you.

The lessons which affect your understanding of right and wrong, as well as the moments we realize people depend on us, are learned at varying ages based on culture, environment, and circumstance. Because most people, counting out extraordinary cases (terminally ill or deceased parents, absent parents, dependent siblings, abusive situations, etc.) are relatively bland when it comes to the culture and environment they use major life events to define adulthood. Things like turning 18, able to drink legally, graduating college, buying a house, having a baby. Unfortunately most of them have zero life-points besides the accolades they've managed to acquire and define themselves with, which is why half the time people who on the surface should have it together don't.

case in point...age isn't anything, and neither is all the stuff you own or the kids you give birth to. If you've learned enough to appreciate it all, that's another story.
Quote by BUZZARD__
A lot of gray area here. I've known kids who were 14 and were more of an adult than some who were 50.

I like to think it's the moment you realize that it's not all about you; that your decisions affect, either negatively or positively, those around you AND your self-awareness of the fact leads you to apply some form ethics to make a decision that benefits those who may depend on you.

Is it not just learning to accept responsibility? What if you've got no dependents at all. Surely it is taking responsibility for your own actions and learning to accept the consequences. Eating chocolate buttons for breakfast every day isn't considered a particularly adult thing to do, so taking that responsibility of freedom and using it in an adult way, and having a sensible, healthy breakfast could be the act of being an adult.

Same with other things, like using your money from a job to save for the future, and buy needed things, or having the freedom to stay up late binge watching a TV series, but actually getting a good 8 hours sleep a night because you know it will benefit your day tomorrow.

Well, in terms of education, work and career "maturity" I think I'd be considered an "adult"
But for the rest of my life....nah. Don't even know how the **** to pay taxes or what the **** I would have to do to get a house or pay bills or whatever. Like at times I even feel embarrassed about asking about that kind of stuff lol
Last edited by gonzaw at Dec 22, 2014,
when i was around 12 or 13 years old i started to feel like i had started to become an "adult". i started thinking and making decisions for myself, as well as doing things that kids my age typically don't do. i started playing live with bands, getting paid here and there. I'd also play with dangerous power tools and other stupid things like that. i was pretty full of myself at the time. then around the age of 16 i realized that im still more of a kid than most people of my age group i knew. i realized that there really isn't any defining difference between being a kid or an adult. In fact, it had occurred to me that the "adults" that i respect and love the most still have a very child-like personality about them. so at this point, i just look at biology to determine maturity, and only on a physical level
It happened when financial uncertainty happened.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Im damn near ancient around this thread but, I'll give my two cents.

I'm 41. Married, I have kids. A house. Yeah man, It's crazy to me too! I cant believe I'm really this old. Dont feel it, for sure. I think thats a good thing, maybe.

Everytime I think I have it together, something is there to remind me no matter how long I'm here, I dont know jack! A large portion of "adults"fake that confidence crap. Most of us are just winging it.
"Realized" I was an adult, I guess, was when I had my first child. Humbling, sudden, awesome sense of responsibility. Scary, actually. Changed my view on everything in ways I never dreamt it could, would.
When people ask me a question in work and I actually know the answer, I feel pretty grown up (Doesn't happen very often mind you). I'm 10/15 years younger than most of the rest of the guys in work so I think that's made me feel even more like a child.....
Page 1 of 2