Yo everybodey.
I started up another thread about this, but I forgot to ask this question too: if we don't adjust the tremolo claw, which one is considered tighter: 3 springs in the shape of a triangle or 5 straight springs?
I don't know which would be considered tighter, but I believe that 5 springs gives a smoother more even distribution of tension across the entire block, which to me is better. Generally the triangle formation comes from wanting to increase the tension to compensate for only having 3 springs instead of 5. My preference is 5 springs.
You always have to adjust the claw, whether you have three strings or five.
And tension will always be the same whether you have three or five, because you're setting up an equilibrium between the tuned strings and the springs, and string tension is a given for a particular gauge of stringset and a specific tuning.

Where the three vs. five (or whatever) business comes in is when you go to grab the handle and apply the trem. Assuming the two sets of springs are identical (or that you've simply added two of the same tension springs to the set of three), you'll find that the difficulty of moving the handle will be different. More strings aren't "more even" in their distribution of tension; it's all pretty much the same. But the ability to "flutter" the trem comes from having less tension when you move past equilibrium than more. That would favor three (or even two) strings.

There's also this -- you've probably noticed that when you bend a note, the trem's butt end lifts and forces the other notes flat. If you have MORE springs,, that's less likely to happen, FEWER springs, more likely to happen. Neither is better than the other. The more responsive trem will have fewer or lighter springs, the less responsive will more or heavier springs.
dspellman, don't waist your time with this kid. He does not listen to reason/logic
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
dspellman, don't waist your time with this kid. He does not listen to reason/logic

I do good dragon fantasy....
Quote by Robbgnarly

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
I do good dragon fantasy....

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Whenever I have an off day, I go through his thread history and it makes me feel much better about myself.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.