Page 1 of 4
History Thread

Talk about things that were.

Rules:

1. If you're going to talk about something, it has to have already happened.

The purpose of this thread is for discussing events/ideas, sharing sources, asking questions, petitioning opinions, recommending historical readings/recordings, and generally expanding historical knowledge of the Pit. Not to be confused with the religion/philosophy, film, and book threads, but overlap is fine.

We'll see if it goes past page one.
remember when cold war? wow
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Remember when Blake told a high schooler he wanted to memorize every freckle on her body or w/e.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I loved when America won everything
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I recommend A New History of Early Christianity by Charles Freeman. It's easy to read, covers Freeman's idea of who Jesus really was based on what we know, and outlines Christianity through it becoming the official religion of Rome.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Baby Joel

This is why we have you on Mt. Rushmore.

I've devolved into jerking off to my own jokes. Someone stop me.
will lurk in case anyone wants to talk about bronze age greeks or buds up in anatolia and the levant

Quote by ErikLensherr
Remember when Blake told a high schooler he wanted to memorize every freckle on her body or w/e.

yes vaguely.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Charlemagne

Charlemagne (c.742-814), also known as Karl and Charles the Great, was a medieval emperor who ruled much of Western Europe from 768 to 814. In 771, Charlemagne became king of the Franks, a Germanic tribe in present-day Belgium, France, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and western Germany. He embarked on a mission to unite all Germanic peoples into one kingdom, and convert his subjects to Christianity. A skilled military strategist, he spent much of his reign engaged in warfare in order to accomplish his goals. In 800, Pope Leo III (750-816) crowned Charlemagne emperor of the Romans. In this role, he encouraged the Carolingian Renaissance, a cultural and intellectual revival in Europe. When he died in 814, Charlemagne’s empire encompassed much of Western Europe, and he had also ensured the survival of Christianity in the West. Today, Charlemagne is referred to by some as the father of Europe.
Charles VI of France
Charles VI the Mad

Charles VI (3 December 1368 – 21 October 1422), called the Beloved (French: le Bien-Aimé and the Mad (French: le Fol or le Fou), was King of France from 1380 to his death. He was a member of the House of Valois.

Charles VI was only 11 when he inherited the throne in the midst of the Hundred Years' War. The government was entrusted to his four uncles: Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy; John, Duke of Berry; Louis I, Duke of Anjou; and Louis II, Duke of Bourbon. Although the royal age of majority was fixed at 14 (the "age of accountability" under Roman Catholic canon law), the dukes maintained their grip on Charles until he took power at the age of 21.

During the rule of his uncles, the financial resources of the kingdom, painstakingly built up by his father Charles V, were squandered for the personal profit of the dukes, whose interests were frequently divergent or even opposing. As royal funds drained, new taxes had to be raised, which caused several revolts.

In 1388 Charles VI dismissed his uncles and brought back to power his father's former advisers, known as the Marmousets. Political and economic conditions in the kingdom improved significantly, and Charles earned the epithet "the Beloved". But in August 1392 en route to Brittany with his army in the forest of Le Mans, Charles suddenly went mad and slew four knights and almost killed his brother, Louis of Orléans.
Quote by Rossenrot
History Thread

nice color
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If you were an American president, who would you be most like?

I like to think i'd be like Truman and Eisenhower, but I feel i'd end up like Carter.
The Hero at Lefkandi

Lived around 900 BCE, maybe. Buried with his wife (probably) in a ἡρῷον with some fancy stuff that might (probably) indicate that he was the leader of the settlement at Lefkandi. The building was collapsed deliberately on top of their graves.

Name: ???
Language: ???
Literally anything: ???
Quote by bradulator

I like to think i'd be like Truman and Eisenhower, but I feel i'd end up like Carter.

Gordon Brown for sure.
I'd be Teddy Roosevelt minus his jingoistic foreign policy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by bradulator

Prolly Coolidge. If Goldwater had been elected, prolly him though.
--

John C. Calhoun (1782 -1850) Insane ugly idiot manchild.

Gallery:

Quote by bradulator

Slick Willy of course
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I wish Calhoun didn't fall out of Old Hickory's good graces because I want to live in a country where someone with that head of hair can become president
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I have been compiling some interesting history facts over the years --

• Hitler had, remarkably, the exact same amount of body organs as any regular, healthy human.
  • Had World War 2 never happened, there most certainly would have been less invasions of the French coast.
  • Bears have killed less people than all of WWI and WWII combined.
  • In a mysterious and unsolved piece of history, odd devices known as "planes" impossibly flew through the air and also sometimes came back down.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I have been compiling some interesting history facts over the years --

• Hitler had, remarkably, the exact same amount of body organs as any regular, healthy human.
  • Had World War 2 never happened, there most certainly would have been less invasions of the French coast.
  • Bears have killed less people than all of WWI and WWII combined.
  • In a mysterious and unsolved piece of history, odd devices known as "planes" impossibly flew through the air and also sometimes came back down.

i get you mean on #1 and #3 there but what do #2 and #4 refer to?
Quote by Eastwinn
i get you mean on #1 and #3 there but what do #2 and #4 refer to?

They refer to World War 1 and 2
Quote by Cianyx
What is this nerdy ass bullshit

You'll never understand because Absurdistan has no place in the history books. u mad you're unrepresented, brah?
Quote by Eastwinn
oh really?

Well I suppose #4 is war-nonspecific
Quote by Dreadnought

That's 'cause wars don't kill people, ya doofus.

I've just learnt of the list command/BBcode.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Charlemagne

Charlemagne (c.742-814), also known as Karl and Charles the Great, was a medieval emperor who ruled much of Western Europe from 768 to 814. In 771, Charlemagne became king of the Franks, a Germanic tribe in present-day Belgium, France, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and western Germany. He embarked on a mission to unite all Germanic peoples into one kingdom, and convert his subjects to Christianity. A skilled military strategist, he spent much of his reign engaged in warfare in order to accomplish his goals. In 800, Pope Leo III (750-816) crowned Charlemagne emperor of the Romans. In this role, he encouraged the Carolingian Renaissance, a cultural and intellectual revival in Europe. When he died in 814, Charlemagne’s empire encompassed much of Western Europe, and he had also ensured the survival of Christianity in the West. Today, Charlemagne is referred to by some as the father of Europe.Lol Karl what a dweeb
dread: i've got some history facts for you:
  • the first emo band was rites of spring
  • igor stravinsky finished the rite of spring in 1910
  • 1910 was the last year that halley's comet was visible before the 80s
  • the shǐjì documents halley's comet in 240 BC
  • it also documents tuning instruments used by the ancient chinese

i am a history #fax machine
Quote by Baby Joel

so you loved always
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
can we talk about the history of this thread? very interested in that

Quote by theogonia777
so you loved always

I guess you could say I've loved these days
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I'd be Clinton cause Monica Lewinski was a hottie
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by Eastwinn
dread: i've got some history facts for you:
  • the first emo band was rites of spring
  • igor stravinsky finished the rite of spring in 1910
  • 1910 was the last year that halley's comet was visible before the 80s
  • the shǐjì documents halley's comet in 240 BC
  • it also documents tuning instruments used by the ancient chinese

i am a history #fax machine

Hold on slow up i'm writing these down
Quote by Dreadnought
Hold on slow up i'm writing these down

the powerpoint presentation will be available on the blackboard shell after class
Quote by Eastwinn
the powerpoint presentation will be available on the blackboard shell after class

Awesome, im never going to class.
Page 1 of 4