Hey, I was wondering if any of you would be able to recommend me a decent bass suited for my needs, I've been playing for well over 6 months and would like to say I have a decent skill level so far, I play with my fingers as I find I difficult to play with a pick which a lot of my inspirations use, I have relatively small hands and weak pinky fingers so this limits the frets I can cover at a given moment, something that is light would be ideal and something that can handle low tunings since I listen to and play songs from bands such as Pierce the Veil and Bring Me the Horizon (e.g. Drop A) I currently play a Gear4music Lexington 5 string bass which has served me well so far and I used a Gear4music LA bass before that, I'm open to all ideas. Another consideration is that I am currently forming a band, specifically of the punk pop genre (like bands such as All Time Low and Blink-182) so if there are any basses that suit this genre please let me know.
Last edited by Robert2511 at Dec 22, 2014,
Best advice -- don't tune your bass to follow guitar tunings.

Don't think like a guitar player.

You're already down where they aspire to go, and at a certain point, you run past the ability of a bass amp to reproduce the notes.
Ibanez have started selling short scale five strings in the Gio series which are just about good enough to gig with a once over and a setup, nice price range too. The short scale will be lighter on your fingers due to the lower tension but you really ought to look up some finger strength exercises and warm ups, I'll dig some out and post them here next time I'm at a computer.

It's perfectly fine to use the same tuning as the guitarists but its harder to find the right gauge to match unless you get a 5 string.
Quote by Spaz91
Ibanez have started selling short scale five strings in the Gio series which are just about good enough to gig with a once over and a setup, nice price range too. The short scale will be lighter on your fingers due to the lower tension but you really ought to look up some finger strength exercises and warm ups, I'll dig some out and post them here next time I'm at a computer.

It's perfectly fine to use the same tuning as the guitarists but its harder to find the right gauge to match unless you get a 5 string.

I'll have to look them up, thanks and I've heard of exercisers but never understood how they work, and for tuning I usually if possible tune it so that only the lower strings are used, so for example for certain songs the recommend tuning is BEAD, since I've got a 5 strong I'll just have it BEADG, or slightly higher or lower depending on the song
Get a 5 string and move up 5 frets, easier on your hands and your speakers.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
What amp have you got?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp