Hello

I've joined my brother's band since a few months, and they decided to record a demo two weeks after. Of course, the vocals didn't sound that good since I had no idea on how to do it or even how I wanted it to sound like. Now, several months later, I've kind of managed to upper my vocal abilities. We decided to try and record some new songs, but it doesn't sound much different than the first recordings we did.

Now, my vocals on the first demo have been compared by some to those of Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth, but that's not at all what I want it to sound like. Whenever I try to record some vocals, it sounds somehow way lower like some death metal band's vocals and it sounds raw.

The kind of sound I'm trying to obtain is the sound of Josh Middleton's vocals (Sylosis) , Jacob Bannon's (Converge), and maybe even Jens Kidman's (Meshuggah), since we're (and mostly I am) not really sure about what music we want to make yet.

I tried to scream along some Sylosis songs before, and it sounded sort of okay (i need some practice of course), but on recordings it sounds bad. Also, I can really screw up my voice when I start screaming instantly, and then it sounds way different (not that good either) than when I sing along Sylosis songs, when my voice doesn't get screwed up.

Anyway, I would really want it not to sound that low (cause I don't really want to make aggressive music), and to be able to scream with my voice (tone) so you can actually hear some singing in it. I've done some research, but I haven't found something much helpful yet. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Too much blah blah. Need recording. Give Dave recording and Dave help fix.

Haha, but seriously it sounds like you are using a bad false cord technique when you want fry. Or even more likely you are just crushing the crap put of your voice and sound awful but it sounds OK in your head. If it sounds raw it probably is.

Hit me with a track and we can get you on the right track. The rest is up to you.