I just received my Fishman Rare Earth Blend and I want to install it as soon as possible. I would do it myself but my guitar does not an input jack (the pickup comes with one, but I'm not sure how to install it). Unfortunately my local store's tech won't be in for a couple weeks (christmas break and whatnot). Is there a way to make one myself? Do I have to drill a hole? If it's not recommended I can wait, but I'd like to do it myself, especially since the actual pickup doesn't require gluing or anything.
What came with the pickup? If it's an "endpin jack", this would replace the strap-pin on the "bottom" of the instrument. Normally, you would have to ream out the hole with an appropriate bit since the jack is quite a bit larger than the standard hole.
This is a job for a technician, since special bits are used to prevent splintering of the wood. The hole has to be absolutely straight as well.

Wireing your own can be as simple as getting as standard 1/4" mono female jack from radio shack and soldering the leads from the pickup to the appropriate points on the jack.
A hole is drilled into the side of the instrument between two braces. Again, a special bit (a "Forstner" bit) is used to prevent chipping/splintering.

I would not recommend doing either yourself if you don't have the appropriate tools/experience.
Quote by Bikewer
What came with the pickup? If it's an "endpin jack", this would replace the strap-pin on the "bottom" of the instrument. Normally, you would have to ream out the hole with an appropriate bit since the jack is quite a bit larger than the standard hole.
This is a job for a technician, since special bits are used to prevent splintering of the wood. The hole has to be absolutely straight as well.

Wireing your own can be as simple as getting as standard 1/4" mono female jack from radio shack and soldering the leads from the pickup to the appropriate points on the jack.
A hole is drilled into the side of the instrument between two braces. Again, a special bit (a "Forstner" bit) is used to prevent chipping/splintering.

I would not recommend doing either yourself if you don't have the appropriate tools/experience.

After a bit of research I learnt about reaming, and that it should obviously be done by a tech. I checked and the end pin jack is larger than the strap hole, so it would require reaming. I'll wait for my tech to return and have him do it.