I'm hoping some of you can give me your opinions... I bought myself my xmas gift, a new set of Seymour Duncan Slash humbuckers.

I can't decide which guitar to upgrade:

1. 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio (50's Tribute)
2. 2012 PRS SE 245

The pickups in the Gibson currently are (not 100% sure, got this off their website): 490R Alnico II and 498T Alnico V humbucking pickups. The PRS SE has PRS stock pickups.

When I bought them, I had visions of upgrading the LP, in an attempt to get that Slash tone (I know I won't get close, but it would be closer than I am right now), but then noticed they were currently Alnico pickups too, so I'm wondering if I would hear a big difference, OR would the PRS be a better guitar to upgrade...?

FWIW, I play both equally and I play mainly rock (eg Slash's new stuff (and some old GNR, ACDC...)

Thanks for your input...
Just had input from the wife and daughter...

Wife says: PRS - because it's a nicer looking guitar...
Daughter says: LP - because the pickups on the PRS are zebra already...
Quote by RHCPrimuSRV
I'd say the Paul Reed Smith, because the woods have a better sound than the LP

How do you figure? They're both mahogany and rosewood, the PRS is made in Korea and the Studio is made in the US. The Studio is going to be built with higher quality wood.
Last edited by Explorer91 at Dec 22, 2014,
No brainer, LP. Next time you can get more metal (or clean I guess... ) pups for your PRS.
I say the LP. I don't like the 490/498 pickups. Make sure to play around with the pickup heights, I put some of those into a guitar and didn't care much for them. But then I adjusted the heights and then it sounded much better.
Slash's pups sit almost flush with the pickup rings, seen a vid of a guy doing work on his actual LP. As for which guitar they're easy enough to swap out again if you want to try the other guitar.
LP for sure, did you Know if u put these slash pick up in a non LP they won't work lol.
Just kidding those are nice pick ups.
I am sure Slash would prefer to see them on a LP hanging very low while you smoke a cigarette (hat optional).
If you don't like them in one particular guitar, just put them in the other guitar. Replacing pickups is not a permanent modification whatsoever.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 23, 2014,
Thanks for all the responses. I am glad you all took the time to reply. I think you all confirmed what my gut told me, I'll upgrade the LP.

Sorry to ask another question, but does anyone have any experience with the existing hardware in a LP studio (50s tribute)? Should I upgrade the pots and capacitors? Read somewhere somebody upgraded to some orange capacitor...
It isn't really a matter of 'should I?', but rather 'do I want to?'

The pots that Gibsons use are fine, as are the caps. It's more a personal preference thing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Explorer91
The Studio is going to be built with higher quality wood.

Do you have ANY way of backing up that statement?

I'm voting for flipping a coin.
Quote by dspellman

I don't think you understand, the PRS is already zebra!

For me, though, it's about the 490t/490R (is it a 490r?). I don't like the stock pickups in the Studio, whereas I think the SE 245 stock picks are very usable. It's about replacing whichever set is weakest, which I think is in your Les Paul.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 23, 2014,
Quote by dspellman

I go by trend. Are you going to trust Korea or America more when it comes to guitar craftsmanship? History speaks for itself.
Soooo...Korea?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hi guys, just my thoughts between the quality of the two guitars...

I don't remember the exact prices I paid, but they are roughly $750(PRS), $800(LP) Cdn.

The LP is a bare, stripped down solid guitar. Not the prettiest, but when I was buying it I liked the satin finish on it (and I always dreamed of owning a LP). It's solid, heavy and the quality is good imo.

The PRS on the other hand has a lot of bling - beautiful flame maple top, nice binding, bird inlays, for roughly the same price. And the quality is top notch too.

Quality wise, I can't tell the difference, but that's just between these two guitars that I play all the time. I'd love to compare the the two brands in the $3000 range...

I have zero quality complaints about either guitar. I love them both. However I personally think the PRS is a better value (and it already comes with those famous zebra pickups
Ok another question...

In slash's guitar setup, the bridge pickup is reversed. So the cream part of the two zebra pickups are on top, instead of them being on the outside (or is it inside)... So the pattern looks like:

W
B

W
B

Instead of

W
B

B
W

Does anyone know if it's just the colours that are reversed, or does he actually install the pickup reversed? I don't see any documentation saying which way to install the bridge pickup... Sorry I am new to this.
Just put it in any orientation you like. The pickups can go in either way around.

Which bobbin is black or white on the bottom or top will vary depending on what guitar Slash is using on the day. I wouldn't stress over it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 24, 2014,
Craftsmanship on a $1000 guitar? Korea every time

Quality of wood used on a $1000 guitar? Who knows, and let's be honest, who cares
The standard is that the screws go to the out side so if it's in the bridge the screw heads on the pup sit towards the bridge and if it's a neck pup the screw heads face towards the neck. That's the standard fitment for seymour duncans but do what you fancy. Personally I'd go the way they're meant so it's W/B B/W. Don't know why but that's how I think it looks best and probably why they're designed that way and how it's always been as far as I know lol.
Quote by Twidler
The standard is that the screws go to the out side so if it's in the bridge the screw heads on the pup sit towards the bridge and if it's a neck pup the screw heads face towards the neck. That's the standard fitment for seymour duncans but do what you fancy. Personally I'd go the way they're meant so it's W/B B/W. Don't know why but that's how I think it looks best and probably why they're designed that way and how it's always been as far as I know lol.

Thanks, this will help a lot. If a pickup is in the reversed, does the sound change? I think I read somewhere that it gets 'out of phase' or something that I have no idea what they mean... Hence the reason I have these dumb questions on which way to install it...
This 'better quality of wood' argument HAS to be the biggest wank of all time... Who the hell is going to chop a $1000 guitar in half to inspect the density and grain of the wood just to be sure its of superior quality??? And by insinuating that if a given species of tree is grown in Vietnam or India or wherever the hell else its grown, does not mean that that countries stereotypical work ethic (ie 'lazy mexican' or 'fastidious germanic engineering' ) will have rubbed off in the wood... Granted, the actual cuts of the wood, ie whether or not theyve used the VERY best bits in the guitar and sent the rest off for scrap may have some affect to the end result but I'll stand here ****ed if any of these dickheads who go on about it so much could actually perceive an actual difference in the sound that could not be categorically caused by another factor ie pick up, wiring or set up etc.
Rotating the pick up 180 degrees in the slot does make a difference, it changes where the pole pieces sit under the string, the is a proper term for it but I forget what it is. Ive done this mod to my Epi LP which has a set of Ibanez Super 70 pick ups. All its done is taken a little of the shine from the neck pick up.
Last edited by dazza027 at Dec 25, 2014,