Why do we uncontroversially accept and utilize our language's alphabets in the order that they are taught to us?
whoever wrote the ABC song
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
the latin alphabet may be traced back to a particular cuneiform script. the order of letters traces a similar route. it's merely tradition.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by StewieSwan
Because there is literally no benefit to changing it

Hah...
you could sort letters on some pretense but i'll shoot you down m8
Quote by Eastwinn
you could sort letters on some pretense but i'll shoot you down m8

Blessed be...

Last edited by Zaphikh at Dec 22, 2014,
Because it a proven systematization of internalizing the concepts to memory (based on catchy song which science has shown to help improve memorization habit) in order to apply the concepts (the letters) to create words based on a strict analysis and adherence to the authoritative guidance (Dictionary, grammar structure, etc.)
Quote by genghisgandhi
there isn't

lol...

I wasn't disagreeing with Stu. I was amused by his choice of words. Now fuck off.
Quote by Fat Lard
Because it a proven systematization of internalizing the concepts to memory (based on catchy song which science has shown to help improve memorization habit) in order to apply the concepts (the letters) to create words based on a strict analysis and adherence to the authoritative guidance (Dictionary, grammar structure, etc.)

what?

edit: ps there are some interesting approaches i can think of for reordering the alphabet but they all carry a really heavy english bias
Quote by Weaponized
I think we should rearranged the alphabet to place u and i closer 2gether

Dafuq is this shit?
Quote by Eastwinn
what?

I don't know if you're saying this because you didn't get his point, or whatever, but in case you didn't, I think he's saying it was built around a mnemonic (in this case, a song) to make it easier to learn and teach. You're the anthropology enthusiast here, so I'm sure you can address that better than I could.
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know if you're saying this because you didn't get his point, or whatever, but in case you didn't, I think he's saying it was built around a mnemonic (in this case, a song) to make it easier to learn and teach. You're the anthropology enthusiast here, so I'm sure you can address that better than I could.

is that what he was saying? cause that's pretty dumb
Quote by Eastwinn

Nothing pertaining to music is dumb.

Nothing.
Quote by Eastwinn

Er, I reread it and it looks like I misunderstood. I think he's saying it's taught that way and accepted because it's a mnemonic and easier to learn, not that the alphabet's order was designed that way.

...which makes sense, standardising something that's taught to nearly everyone using a mnemonic definitely simplifies things and makes it easier to learn.
The alphabet ordering is pretty outdated -- it should be reordered to reflect QWERTY
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Why do I get the feeling that you're going to quickly become one of the worst users on this site?

Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question and your thread is now closed.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.